|Dayavan: Truth is Power|
|Directed by||Feroz Khan|
|Produced by||Feroz Khan|
|Story by||Mani Ratnam|
|Music by||Laxmikant Pyarelal|
|Edited by||Feroz Khan|
Dayavan (English: The Compassionate) is a 1988 Hindi gangster film directed by Feroz Khan. It is a remake of the 1987 Tamil film Nayakan. The film stars Vinod Khanna, Feroz Khan and Madhuri Dixit in lead roles with Aditya Pancholi in an important role. Film was declared " Hit " at the box office. The film was most talked about for its passionate lovemaking scene between Vinod Khanna and Madhuri Dixit but there was more to the film than the kiss. Vinod played the titular role who avenges the death of his father. The film is remembered for Vinod Khanna's powerful performance, which is considered to be one of his best.
After having witnessed his dad being killed by the local police, and being orphaned and homeless, Shakti Velu develops a hatred and distrust of the police in India. He is befriended by another homeless boy named Shanker, who asks him to accompany him to Bombay's slums, where they live with a kind-hearted Muslim named Karim Baba, and his daughter, Shama. This is where Shakti and Shankar spend their childhood. When they mature, they take to petty crime. Here too, Shakti witnesses police brutality and atrocities, especially at the hands of sadistic, alcoholic, and womanizing Police Inspector Ratan Singh. When Karim Baba is arrested, jailed, and found hanging by his neck in police custody, Shakti hunts down Ratan Singh, and kills him in broad daylight in front of several hundred people. An investigation is launched, but no one comes forward as a witness. Thus Shakti gets his reputation as a Don with a good heart i.e., Dayavan. Shakti marries local prostitute, Neelu, and has two children, Suraj and Sarita. He becomes even more powerful and influential all over Bombay, and his working partners are powerful criminal dons who have ruled over Bombay for eons. Shakti eventually replaces these dons, and becomes Bombay's only Don. This creates enemies for him and his family, but he believes since he has not really done any harm to anyone, he and his family will be safe. It is this belief that will take a heavy toll on his life and that of his family, when the truth dawns that he, himself, is responsible for being kind to a man, who will ultimately bring forward ruin to the Velu family.
- Vinod Khanna as Shakti Velu aka Dayavan
- Feroz Khan as Shanker Waghmare
- Madhuri Dixit as Neelu, wife of Shakti
- Aditya Pancholi as Dayavan's son-in-Law
- Amrish Puri as Inspector Ratan Singh
- Aanjjan Srivastav as Superintendent of Police
- Amala as Sarita
- Anuradha Patel as Shama
- Aruna Irani as Tara
- Tinnu Anand as Ratan Singh's son
- Alok Nath as Karim Baba
- Naresh Suri as Tora Swami
- Mangal Dhillon
- Mahaverr Shah
- Ramya Krishnan as an item number
The soundtrack is available on T-Series, and is composed by veteran music directors Laxmikant-Pyarelal. The hit song "Aaj Phir Tum Pe" was recreated in 2014 for the film Hate Story 2, with vocals rendered by Arijit Singh. Chahe Meri Jaan Tu Le Le was recreated in 2019 for Marjaavaan with vocals rendered by Tulsi Kumar and Jubin Nautiyal 
|1||"Aaj Phir Tum Pe"||Pankaj Udhas, Anuradha Paudwal||Aziz Qaisi|
|2||"Kahe Saiyan Teri Meri Baat"||Kavita Krishnamurthy, Alka Yagnik||Aziz Qaisi|
|3||"Dil Tera Kisne Toda"||Mohammad Aziz||Indeewar|
|4||"Diwani Tum Jawanon Ki"||Jolly Mukherjee, Sapna Mukherjee, Mohammad Aziz||Indeewar|
|5||"Chahe Meri Jaan Tu Le Le"||Jolly Mukherjee, Sapna Mukherjee||Indeewar|
Awards and nominations
- Nominated- Filmfare Award for Best Playback Singer (Male)- Muhammad Aziz for "Dil Tera"
- "Madhuri Dixit to Rani Mukerji, these Bollywood actresses have romanced both father and son on-screen; see pics | Entertainment News". timesnownews.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Dhak Dhak girl Madhuri Dixit had link-ups with these actors - Odisha News, Odisha Latest news, Odisha Daily - OrissaPOST". 9 April 2019. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Madhuri Dixit remembers Dayavan co-star Vinod Khanna: Our generation has learnt a lot from him". The Indian Express. 1 May 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "International Kissing Day 2018: Vinod Khanna – Madhuri Dixit to Ranveer Singh – Vaani Kapoor - Ten of the Most Iconic Kisses from Bollywood Movies | Latest Photos, Images & Galleries | LatestLY.com". Latestly. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Lookhar, Mayur. "From Urmila Matondkar to Anupam Kher, artistes whose careers changed after a bold move". Cinestaan. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Happy Birthday Madhuri Dixit: Here's looking at the hot heroes she was paired with". Hindustan Times. 15 May 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "When Vinod Khanna and Madhuri Dixit lip lock scene fumed in controversy". CatchNews.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Happy Birthday Madhuri Dixit: 7 On-screen Heroes of Bollywood's Dance Queen". news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- "RIP Vinod Khanna: 10 best performances of the actor". India Today. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "'Dayavan' (1988) - Vinod Khanna's most memorable performances over the years". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Bhatia, Sankhayan Ghosh,Uday (27 April 2017). "Vinod Khanna's greatest performances". https://www.livemint.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019. External link in
- "15 Best Brilliant Performances of Vinod Khanna". 27 April 2017.
- "Remembering Vinod Khanna: 15 Films That Celebrate The Actor's Legacy". news18.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Updated:Thu, Zainab Mulla |; April 27; 2017 4:16pm (27 April 2017). "Vinod Khanna passes away at 70: Top 5 best movies of the versatile star!". India.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- https://www.hindustantimes.com/bollywood/marjaavaan-song-haiya-ho-rakul-preet-singh-woos-a-grieving-sidharth-malhotra-in-yet-another-recreated-number-watch/story-jZPpmkoBYMPrEObJsU5E0J.html. Missing or empty
- Rangan, Baradwaj (2012). Conversations with Mani Ratnam. Penguin Books. p. 118. ISBN 978-8184756906.