Daydream (The Lovin' Spoonful song)
|Single by The Lovin' Spoonful|
|from the album Daydream|
|B-side||"Night Owl Blues"|
|Released||February 19, 1966|
|Label||Kama Sutra 208|
|The Lovin' Spoonful singles chronology|
"Daydream" is a popular song written by John Sebastian, first released in 1966. The song was originally recorded that year by Sebastian's group The Lovin' Spoonful and released on their album of the same title.
The song reached No. 2 on both the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Singles Chart. In New Zealand, the song spent three weeks at No. 1. It also reached No. 1 in Canada, and No. 13 in Australia. "Daydream" originated with Sebastian's attempt to rewrite The Supremes' "Baby Love".
Following the 1966 Lovin' Spoonful recording, "Daydream" has been recorded by such artists as:
- Chet Atkins, on his 1988 album, C.G.P.
- Otto Brandenburg (in Danish, under the title "Dagdrøm") (1966)
- David Cassidy, Bell catalog number #45-386, released July 5, 1973, with the flip side "Can't Go Home Again"
- Bobby Darin, on his December 1966 album If I Were a Carpenter
- Dino, Desi, & Billy, on their May 1966 album Memories Are Made of This
- Art Garfunkel, on his June 1997 album Songs from a Parent to a Child
- Vince Gill and Kermit the Frog for the 1994 album Kermit Unpigged. This version peaked at number 65 on the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada.
- Gary Lewis and the Playboys, on their 1966 album Hits Again
- Lars Lilholt Band (November 24, 2008) (in Danish, under the title "Dagdrømmerdreng")
- The Guess Who performed this song on CBC Winnipeg's radio show "The Swingers" in 1967.
- The Mar-Keys, on their 1969 album Damifiknow! 
- Maria Muldaur (1989)
- Ricky Nelson, on his album Another Side of Rick, released November 13, 1967
- Right Said Fred (1992)
- Lewis Ross, on his 1996 album of the same name
- The Sandpipers, on their 1967 album Misty Roses
- Bud Shank (1967)
- Sheila (in French, under the title "Le rêve") (June 1966)
- The Sweet, on their album Funny How Sweet Co-Co Can Be, released in 1971
- Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings recorded it for their third album Groovin', in 2000.
- Candye Kane, on her album White Trash Girl, released in November 1971
- Doris Day - My Heart (2011)
- Terry Holley, on his 2010 album Acoustic Covers
- Mike Vickers on his 1968 album I Wish I Were a Group Again.
- "Daydream". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1966/Top 100 Songs of 1966". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Cover versions of Daydream by The Lovin' Spoonful". SecondHandSongs. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- Brian Currin. "Dino, Desi and Billy". Rock.co.za. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Art Garfunkel Official Site
- "RPM Country Tracks". RPM. October 24, 1994. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- "Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Hits Again! (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "The Mar-Keys - Damifiknow! (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "Another Side of Rick by Rick Nelson (Album): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song list". Rate Your Music]. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Lewis Ross: Daydream". Theband.hiof.no. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- "Terry Holley: Digital Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.