Days Go By (The Offspring song)
|"Days Go By"|
|Single by The Offspring|
|from the album Days Go By|
|Released||April 27, 2012|
|Genre||Alternative rock, pop punk|
|The Offspring singles chronology|
"Days Go By" is a pop punk song by the American punk rock band The Offspring. It is featured as the third track on the band's ninth studio album of the same name and was released as its first single. The song was premiered on the Los Angeles, California rock station KROQ on April 27, 2012. "Days Go By" was released to radio on May 1, 2012. "Days Go By" was written by frontman/lyricist Dexter Holland. It peaked at No. 7 on US Alternative Songs.
"Days Go By" was one of the first songs The Offspring started working on for the Days Go By album, and was almost the last to be completed. "We really kept coming back to it over the course of the record", said frontman/lyricist Dexter Holland. It was originally not going to be on the album, depending on how it was doing next to the other songs as the album was being written. "There are versions on YouTube where the guitar riff is different, the verse is different, the chorus is different-so it's a totally different song now, really. It was kind of toward the end [of recording] when people started listening to it. My friends, my manager started pointing at it, saying, 'That's the one you've got to go with."
Speaking of the lyrics, Holland commented, "It's me observing that people have been going through a shitty time in the last few years, including myself. I just wanted to put some hope out there and say that no matter how bad it is, nobody's going to pick you up. You've got to do it yourself and there is hope and you're going to do it."
"Days Go By" has received positive response. Amy Sciarretto of Loudwire described it as "gimmick-free" and "a bit more contemplative, lyrically and comparatively speaking, as Holland ponders the then and the now. Overall, it has the bouncy rock vibe of a Foo Fighters tune with the added sprinkle of the Offspring's American punk rock flavor." The song received another positive review from Sylvie Lesas of Evigshed, who called it a "cool song, awesome sonic trip through the sounds of 90s and modern rock that rips and doesn't disappoint." Lesas also described it as a "memorable melody, intense distorted guitars and infectious chorus/verses making this song, thrilling enough to whet your appetite for their upcoming album."
Use in media
The guitar solo of "Days Go By" was used for an ESPN commercial promoting the 2012 MLB All-Star Game, with the solo being played as background music. This song is also used in EA Sports' NHL 13. The song was made available as downloadable content on September 18, 2012 for Rock Band 3 Basic and PRO mode utilizing real guitars and MIDI compatible drum kits; the same content is also playable in Rock Band Blitz.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||88|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||48|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||2|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||7|
- Dexter Holland – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, piano
- Noodles – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Greg K. – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Pete Parada – drums, percussion (live and video clip)
- Josh Freese – drums, percussion (studio)
- Jamie Edwards - keyboards
- "The Offspring – Days Go By". Swiss Hitparade. Archived from the original on October 11, 2013. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Days Go By". Rate Your Music. Archived from the original on April 27, 2013. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "The Offspring Release New Single, Announce 'Days Go By' Album". Billboard. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "New Offspring Single And Album". offspring.com. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "FMQB Airplay Archive: Modern Rock". Friday Morning Quarterback Album Report, Incorporated. Archived from the original on March 22, 2013. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- The Offspring Still Fly as 'Days Go By' Rises on Rock Charts Billboard. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Sciarretto, Amy. "The Offspring, 'Days Go By' - Song Review". Loudwire. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Lesas, Sylvie (2012-04-28). "The Offspring Days Go By Single Review". evigshed.com. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "NHL 13". Giant Bomb. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "Days Go By by The Offspring". Rock Band. September 18, 2012. Archived from the original on August 12, 2013. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- U2NUMB (September 18, 2012). "Rock Band Blitz - The Offspring - Days Go By (Gold Stars)". Raptr. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "The Offspring Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Offspring Chart History (Japan Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Offspring Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard.
- "The Offspring Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard.
- "The Offspring Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard.