|Minister for Veterans' Affairs|
26 October 2004 – 27 January 2006
|Preceded by||Danna Vale|
|Succeeded by||Bruce Billson|
|Member of the Australian Parliament
2 March 1996 – 24 November 2007
|Preceded by||Ray Braithwaite|
|Succeeded by||James Bidgood|
21 March 1954 |
|Political party||National Party of Australia|
|Alma mater||University of Queensland|
De-Anne Margaret Kelly (born 21 March 1954) is an Australian former politician. She was a National Party member of the Australian House of Representatives from March 1996 until November 2007, representing the Division of Dawson, Queensland. She was also the first female member of the National Party to win a seat in the House of Representatives. She was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, and was educated at the University of Queensland. She was a business proprietor, cattle producer and sugar-cane farmer before entering politics.
Kelly was Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Transport and Regional Services and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Trade between October 2003 and October 2004, at which time she was appointed Minister for Veterans' Affairs. She gained the additional position of Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence in November 2004, but was demoted to Parliamentary Secretary (Trade) in January 2006. Kelly served in this position until September 2006, when she was reappointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Transport and Regional Services.
At the 2007 general election, Kelly was unseated by Labor candidate James Bidgood. Kelly went into the election holding Dawson with a seemingly safe majority of over 10 percent. However, as part of the Labor wave that swept through Queensland in that election, Bidgood defeated her on a swing of more than thirteen per cent. The loss of Dawson was unexpected by most commentators, given Kelly's large majority.
Kelly is married to Roger Kelly.
- "Senators and Members, by Date of Birth". Parliament of Australia. 2001. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "The Nationals' Women". The Nationals. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Biography for KELLY, the Hon. De-Anne Margaret". ParlInfo search. Parliament of Australia. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- Christiansen, Melanie (25 January 2006). "Nationals disgruntled over ministerial demotions". AM (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "QLD DIVISION - DAWSON". Virtual Tally Room. Australian Electoral Commission. 2007. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Labor's new member for Dawson, James Bidgood, says his top priority is fixing roads in the electorate". ABC Tropical Queensland (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 26 November 2007. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
|Minister for Veterans' Affairs
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Dawson