DeSoto Independent School District
|DeSoto Independent School District|
Location of DeSoto ISD in Dallas County
|DeSoto, Texas, USA|
In 2005 Alton Frailey, superintendent of the district, said that the affluence within some students in the district lead to apathy regarding school performance. Frailey said that many African American parents from the previous generation had tried very hard to improve their socioeconomic status, but some of their children may believe that they will easily attain what they wish in life, or believe that education is not a priority.With a current enrollment just over 9,000 students, DeSoto ISD is a small, suburban district 15 miles south of Dallas in north Texas. The 23-square-mile district serves students in DeSoto, Glenn Heights, and Ovilla with 12 campuses and 2,015 total of staff and employees.
The district approved a plan to realign grades served at each school, which will take effect at the beginning of the 2007-2008 school year. The plan affects all schools in the district that serve students in grades pre-kindergarten through eight. The main changes include:
- The two existing junior high schools, DeSoto East and DeSoto West, will become Middle Schools serving grades six through eight.
- The opening of a third middle school - Curtistene S. McCowan Middle School.
- Abolishing the need intermediate campuses by adding fifth grade to the elementary schools and sixth grade to the middle schools.
- Converting Amber Terrace Intermediate and The Meadows Intermediate into the district's sixth and seventh elementary schools.
High Schools (Grades 9-12)
Middle Schools (Grades 6-8)
- DeSoto East Middle School (DeSoto)
- DeSoto West Middle School (DeSoto)
- Curtistene S. McCowan Middle School (Glenn Heights)
Elementary Schools (Grades PK-5)
- Amber Terrace Elementary School (DeSoto)
- Cockrell Hill Elementary School (DeSoto)
- Frank D. Moates Elementary School (Glenn Heights)
- Northside Elementary School (DeSoto)
- Ruby Young Elementary School (DeSoto)
- The Meadows Elementary School (DeSoto)
- Woodridge Elementary School (DeSoto)
DeSoto ISD student demographic figures as of the 2005-2006 school year:
- High Schools (2,641)
- DeSoto High (1,832)
- DeSoto High Freshman Campus (809)
- Junior High Schools (1,464)
- DeSoto East (637)
- DeSoto West (827)
- Intermediate Schools (1,249)
- Amber Terrace (674)
- The Meadows (575)
- Elementary Schools (3,032)
- Cockrell Hill (655)
- Frank D. Moates (707)
- Northside (473)
- Ruby Young (523)
- Woodridge (674)
- Other (23)
- PASS Learning Center (23)
In the 2005-2006 school year, DeSoto ISD began a mandatory school uniform policy at all of its schools.