|Birth name||Donald Earle DeGrate, Jr.|
|Born||September 29, 1969 (age 45) Hampton, Virginia, United States|
|Origin||Charlotte, North Carolina, US|
Donald Earle DeGrate, Jr. (born September 29, 1969 in Hampton, Virginia), best known by his professional name DeVante Swing, is an American record producer, singer, rapper and songwriter. Swing rose to fame in the 1990s as the founding member of the trendsetting R&B group Jodeci, one of the more popular R&B acts of its time. Swing served as the main songwriter, producer, and leader of Jodeci which also featured his younger brother Dalvin DeGrate. He also acted as a video director for the group, co-directing the videos for "Feenin'" with Hype Williams and "Freek'n You" with Brett Ratner.
Swing went on to form his own record label, Swing Mob, which signed artists and producers such as Ginuwine, Missy Elliott, Playa, Stevie J and Timbaland at the beginning of their careers. Swing produced 2Pac's "No More Pain" on the 1996 album All Eyez on Me which saw somewhat of a departure from what he normally produced for Jodeci. He also produced three songs on Danny Boy's It's About Time (2010) album. In addition, Swing has produced and written for numerous other artists such as Mary J. Blige, Al Green, Montell Jordan, Ray J, Kurupt, Usher and unreleased material for Michael Jackson's 2001 album Invincible.
- Al B. Sure! - Private Times...and the Whole 9! - "Touch You", "Had Enuf?", "Sure! Thang", "You Excite Me"
- Jeff Redd - A Quiet Storm - "In My House", "Giving My Love to You"
- Jodeci - Strictly Business soundtrack - "Let's Fly"
- Christopher Williams - Changes - "All I See", "Please, Please, Please"
- Mary J. Blige - What's the 411? - "I Don't Want To Do Anything Else" featuring K-Ci Hailey of Jodeci
- Michael Cooper - Get Closer[disambiguation needed] - "I Just Love You", "Do You"
- CeCe Peniston - Finally - "I See Love"
- Al B. Sure! - Sexy Versus - "Playing Games", "Turn You Out"
- Jodeci - Diary of a Mad Band (entire album)
- Jodeci - Who's the Man? soundtrack - "Let's Go Through the Motions"
- Usher - Usher - "Can U Get wit It", "Whispers"
- Changing Faces - Changing Faces - "Keep It Right There" Remix
- Various Artists - Above the Rim soundtrack - H-Town - "Part Time Lover" , B-Rezell - "Blowed Away"
- Various Artists - Murder Was the Case - Jodeci featuring Tha Dogg Pound - Co-Produced - "Come Up To My Room"
- Sista - 4 All the Sistas Around da World (entire album, excluding track #9)
- Jodeci - The Show, the After Party, the Hotel (entire album)
- Al Green - Your Heart's in Good Hands - "Could This Be Love"
- Various Artists - Dangerous Minds (soundtrack) - DeVante Swing featuring Static Major - "Gin & Juice"
- Tony Thompson - Sexsational - "Slave"
- 2Pac - All Eyez on Me - "No More Pain"
- Montell Jordan - More... - "What's on Tonight"
- Various Artists - The Nutty Professor soundtrack - Da Bassment - "Love You Down"
- Horace Brown - Horace Brown - "You Need A Man"
- Danny Boy - "Slip N' Slide" (Co-Produced)
- R. Kelly - R. (R. Kelly album) - "V.I.P." (Co-Written/Produced w/ R. Kelly and Mr. Dalvin)
- Kurupt - Kuruption! - "I Wanna...", "Put That On Something"
- Liberty City Fla - Liberty City Fla - "Come On Back"
- Dalvin DeGrate - Met.A.Mor.Phic - "Dangerous"
- K-Ci & JoJo - X (K-Ci & JoJo album) - "Get Back', "Slip and Fall" (Hidden Track)
- Le-Jit - What's The Worst That Could Happen (Soundtrack) - "My Love, Your Love"
- Ray J - This Ain't a Game - "Wet Me"
- Terrell[disambiguation needed] - Uptown International - "Who Got", "Loyalty"
- Danny Boy - It's About Time - "If U Don't Mind", "It's All About U"
- Mighty Clouds of Joy - At the Revival- "I love you Lord" (Co-produced w/ Raphael Saadiq)
- Anthony Lewis - "Candy Rain" ( feat. Billy Bang)
billboardwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference
- James T. Jones IV (March 10, 1992). "Jodeci throws its voice into the doo-wop". USA Today', p. 4D
- DeVante Swing biography at AllMusic
|This biographical article related to hip hop music in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|