De Hogebeintumermolen, Hogebeintum
|De Hogebeintumermolen, Hogebeintum|
De Hogebeintermolem, May 2010
|Mill location||Bij Mieddijk 6, 9173 GG Hogebeintum|
|Operator(s)||Stichting De Fryske Mole|
|Base storeys||Single-storey base|
|Smock sides||Eight sides|
|No. of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Common sails|
|Winding||Tailpole and winch|
|Type of pump||Archimedes' screw|
A mill stood on this site in 1830. De Hogebeintumermolen was built in 1860. It drained part of the De Mear polder. On 8 May 1969, the local water board put forward a plan to mechanise the mill because nobody could be found to work it. Permission was reluctantly granted by the Provincial Mills Commission. De Hogebeintumermolen was in regular use until 1973. The mill was sold to Stichting De Fryske Mole (English: Frisian Mills Foundation) on 4 May 1976 and restored in 1977. In 2006, the mill was officially listed as being held in reserve for use in an emergency.
De Hogebeintumermolen is what the Dutch describe as an grondzeiler. It is a two-storey smock mill on a single-storey base. There is no stage, the sails reaching almost to the ground. The mill is winded by tailpole and winch. The smock and cap are thatched. The sails are Common sails. They have a span of 15.70 metres (51 ft 6 in). The sails are carried on a cast-iron windshaft, which was cast by Prins van Oranje, Den Haag. The windshaft also carries the brake wheel which has 47 cogs. This drives the wallower (26 cogs) at the top of the upright shaft. At the bottom of the upright shaft, the crown wheel, which has 30 cogs drives a gearwheel with 28 cogs on the axle of the Archimedes' screw. The axle of the Archimedes' screw is 420 millimetres (1 ft 5 in) diameter. The screw is 1.22 metres (4 ft 0 in) diameter and 3.80 metres (12 ft 6 in) long. It is inclined at 19½°. Each revolution of the screw lifts 773 litres (170 imp gal) of water.
De Hogebeintumermolen is open by appointment.
- "Technische gegevens" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- Stichting De Fryske Mole (1995). Friese Molens (in Dutch). Leeuwarden: Friese Pers Boekerij bv. pp. 138, 269. ISBN 90-330-1522-6.
- "Geschiedenis" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- "Hogebeintum, Friesland" (in Dutch). Molendatabase. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- "Informatie" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2010.