De Volharding, Jislum
|De Volharding, Jislum|
De Volharding, March 2007
|Mill name||De Volharding|
|Mill location||Bij Hikkaarderdyk 25 , 9177 GA Jislum|
|Operator(s)||Stichting De Fryske Mole|
|Base storeys||Low base, about 500 millimetres (20 in) high|
|Smock sides||Eight sides|
|No. of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Common sails|
|Winding||Tailpole and winch|
|Type of pump||Archimedes' screw|
De Volharding (English: The Perseverance) is a smock mill in Jislum, Friesland, Netherlands which was built in 1872. The mill has been restored to working order and designated as being held in reserve in times of emergency. It is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 15632.
De Volharding was built in 1872. It drained the Ald Piip Polder, which has an area of 50 hectares (120 acres). The mill can pump water into the polder as well as draining water from the polder. The mill worked until 1955, after which it became derelict. On 28 December 1971, it was the first mill bought by Stichting De Fryske Mole (English: Frisian Mills Foundation). The mill was restored by millwright Tacoma of Stiens in 1973. A further restoration was undertaken in 1994. In 2000, a new Archimedes' screw was fitted by millwright H Kloosterman. In 2006, the mill was officially designated by Wetterskap Fryslân as being held in reserve for use in times of emergency.
De Volharding is what the Dutch describe as an grondzeiler. It is a two-storey smock mill on a low brick base. There is no stage, the sails reaching almost to the ground. The mill is winded by tailpole and winch. The smock and cap arecovered in vertical boards. The sails are Common sails. They have a span of 9.20 metres (30 ft 2 in). The sails are carried on a wooden windshaft. The windshaft also carries the brake wheel which has 32 cogs. This drives the wallower (17 cogs) at the top of the upright shaft. At the bottom of the upright shaft, the crown wheel, which has 28 cogs drives a gearwheel with 25 cogs on the axle of the Archimedes' screw. The axle of the Archimedes' screw is 240 millimetres (9 in) diameter. The screw is 710 millimetres (2 ft 4 in) diameter and 3.45 metres (11 ft 4 in) long. It is inclined at 19°. Each revolution of the screw lifts 900 litres (200 imp gal) of water.
De Volharding is open by appointment.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to De Volharding, Jislum.|
- "Technische gegevens" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- Stichting De Fryske Mole (1995). Friese Molens (in Dutch). Leeuwarden: Friese Pers Boekerij bv. pp. 198, 259. ISBN 90-330-1522-6.
- "Geschiedenis" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- "Jislum, Friesland" (in Dutch). Molendatabase. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- "Fryske Mole koopt zijn eerste mounts aan (31-12-1971)" (in Dutch). Leeuwarder Courant. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Informatie" (in Dutch). De Hollandsche Molen. Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2010.