Dead Man's Gun
||This article is incomplete. (March 2016)|
|Dead Man's Gun|
|Genre||Anthology / Western|
|Created by||Ed Spielman
|Narrated by||Kris Kristofferson|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||44|
|Executive producer(s)||Henry Winkler|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original release||March 2, 1997 – March 26, 1999|
Dead Man's Gun was a western anthology series that ran on Showtime from 1997 to 1999. The series followed the travels of a gun as it passed to a new character in each episode. The gun would change the life of whoever possessed it.
Set in the Old West, this anthology follows the eponymous artifact, a cursed gun that brings either disaster or fortune to whoever owns it. In some cases in the former, the gun's more villainous owners are often killed at the end of the episode, though there are some points where they live and suffer for their misdeeds.
Similar to shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, there are often twist endings to the stories. For example, in the episode, "The Collector", the main character discovers that his servant is actually the infamous criminal, El Lobo, who then scalps him. However, the series finale, "A Just Reward", gives a twist ending to show as a whole when it is ultimately revealed that the gun's original owner was the Grim Reaper.
Season 1 (1997–1998) (22 Episodes)
- The Great McDonacle-A sideshow trickshooter (John Ritter) suddenly becomes a master marksman when he gains hold of the gun.
- Fool's Gold
- My Brother's Keeper
- The Imposter- A peddler (Henry Winkler in the first of two guest appearances) finds the gun on the corpse of a deceased marshal, and takes both it and the man's identity, becoming the marshal of a small town.
- Buryin' Sam-A corrupt undertaker (Larry Drake) with a thing for killing widows gets his comeuppance when he becomes the gun's new owner.
- Highwayman-The owner of a failing boarding house (Grant Shaud) turns to a life of crime after taking a boarder's advice, then robbing him of his money and the gun.
- Bounty Hunter-A shopkeeper plagued with ennui decides to take up bounty hunting, shortly before the gun finds its way to him.
- The Black Widow-After inheriting the gun from her deceased husband, a "black widow" killer (Daphne Zuniga) plans to strike again...only to learn that her husband has a secret of his own.
- The Healer
- Medicine Man-A young Indian (Adam Beach) finds the gun and tries to use it to avenge his father's (Graham Greene)death.
- Next Of Kin-An old man (Ed Asner) invites his nearest and dearest to share his last moments, and to decide who is worthy to inherit his riches.
- The Fortune Teller-What does the future hold for a gypsy fortune teller (Elizabeth Peña) when the gun grants her crystal ball genuine visions of what's to come?
- Death Warrant-A ruthless bounty hunter (Michael Moriarty), who took the gun from a target, gets a taste of his own medicine when the mother (Kate Jackson) of a boy he accidentally killed puts a bounty on his head.
- Mail Order Bride
- The Mesmerizer-After receiving the gun from a mysterious patient, a slimy hypnotist (Ted Shackleford) discovers his skills are dramatically enhanced.
- Stagecoach Marty
- The Photographer-Wanting to make a name for himself, a photographer (Gary Cole) begins following the gun and takes pictures of whatever disasters happen.
- The Resurrection Of Joe Wheeler-A town drunk (Brian Kerwin) must return to his former life as a legendary gunslinger to save his town from a group of outlaws...with a little help from the Dead Man's Gun.
- The Gambler-Luck finally smiles on a down-and-out gambler (Stephen Lang) when he becomes the gun's latest owner, and has a winning streak. The only catches are that his luck has a time limit...and is only activated when he uses the gun to kill.
- The Deserter
- Wages Of Sin- A swindling holy man (Tim Matheson) believes the gun has given him genuine healing abilities.
Season 2 (1998–1999) (22 Episodes)
- The Judgement Of Joe Dean Bonner-Ruthless criminal and current gun owner Joe Dean Bonner (Brian Austin Green) faces justice at last when he's put on trial...and the jury is made up of all of his victims.
- Ties That Bind
- Sheep's Clothing-A lamb becomes a lion when the gun falls into the hands of a meek school teacher, who begins getting back at his tormentors.
- Winner Takes All
- Sisters Of Mercy-The gun is stolen by a pair of Irish con artist sisters posing as nuns, who soon become the unlikely heroes of a small town under the thrall of a corrupt banker.
- Hangman- A hangman (Henry Winkler in his second starring role), who becomes another owner of the gun, must clear his name when he's accused of a crime.
- The Collector
- The Trapper
- The Mimsers
- The Pinkerton
- Seven Deadly Sins
- The Ripper-Has Jack the Ripper resurfaced in America? That's what a visiting inspector says when murders begin taking place in a small town that mirror the infamous serial killer's crimes.
- The Regulator
- The Womanizer
- Four Of A Kind
- The Oath
- The Good Chef
- The Vine
- Bad Boys
- The Phrenologist
- A Just Reward
On April 2, 2013, TGG Direct released both seasons on DVD in the US.
As of January 2016, the series is airing on ThisTV.
- Dead Man's Gun - TGG to Put Out Season 1 and Season 2 in the USA