Dead or Alive 6
|Dead or Alive 6|
|Publisher(s)||Koei Tecmo Games|
|Series||Dead or Alive|
|Release||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
Dead or Alive 6 is a fighting game developed by Team Ninja and published by Koei Tecmo in the Dead or Alive series as a sequel to Dead or Alive 5. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on March 1, 2019. DOA6 was praised for its polished gameplay, battle arenas, and its beginners-friendly tutorials, but was criticized for its multiplayer functions as well as the absence of online lobbies at launch.
New features include slow-motion moments and visible damage on the fighters during the course of the fight, while the sweat effects from Dead or Alive 5 return and are more pronounced. Dead or Alive 6 also marks the first time for the series to have costume customization mode. The game adds blood effects and new violence physics that can be user-adjusted or turned off in the options.
The game is supposed to be more accessible for newcomers. New mechanics introduced are the Fatal Rush, a beginner-friendly mechanic where pressing one button multiple times results in the character performing a simple combo, and the Break Gauge, a meter that builds up as the characters attack. If the Gauge is full, a Fatal Rush will culminate in a Break Blow, similar to what the Critical Blow in Dead or Alive 5 would do. There is a new mechanic named the Break Hold, where the character reverses an opponent, stunning them, before appearing behind them, open for a counter. The juggling ground-bounce system in this game is also being enhanced to extend juggle combos.
The game currently has 31 playable characters. According to the developers during an interview, it was originally not going to feature the characters who were introduced in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Venus Vacation and Scarlet, but has been decided to include one of them as candidate DLC characters, starting from Season 4, with the first one being Tamaki. One of the future candidate DLC characters also includes one of veterans such as Momiji from Ninja Gaiden, who was announced in the second DLC pass. There is also two SNK guest characters, including Mai Shiranui returning from Dead or Alive 5 Last Round. The other SNK guest for the collaboration promoting the fourteenth installment of The King of Fighters game was later confirmed to be Kula Diamond.
- Diego, a Mexican-American street fighter hailing from New York City. He enters the tournament in order to provide funding for his sick mother. Diego is the first character in the Dead or Alive series to be of Mexican descent.
- Kula Diamond a b, is a guest character and comes from "The King of Fighters". She is the second guest character from an SNK-related franchise, alongside Mai Shiranui.
- NiCO, a new M.I.S.T. scientist and silat martial artist from Finland. She is using lightning-based attacks.
- Tamaki a, a character originally introduced in Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation, she makes her playable debut as an aikido fighter.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (March 2019)
The game follows the events of Dead or Alive 5. Kasumi, a would-be leader of the legendary Mugen Tenshin ninja clan, who has abandoned her clan and became a "runaway ninja", secretly lives in a hermitage in a mountain village, while the reformed DOATEC corporation is still run by Helena Douglas.
Development and release
Team Ninja began full-time development on Dead or Alive 6 in December 2017 and publicly revealed it in June 2018. The game is using a new graphics engine, which in its July update was revised with the help from Sega's internal and well known studio, Sega AM2 who also developed its prequel, Dead or Alive 5 . The studio announced they sought to slightly tone down the sexualized portrayal of female characters and focused on being an esports title. A single-player campaign, which was described as "cohesive" by director and producer Yohei Shimbori, was developed so that the game can appeal to both casual gamers and the Western audience. A new character Diego was also designed specifically in mind for American males aged 25 to 35. Tag team mode of the previous games isn't featured due to the team focusing all its resources on one vs one modes.
Shimbori later denied that the game has been censored due to the new Sony standards against sexual content in PlayStation games and promised it would be at the DOA5 standards, claiming to having been repeatedly misunderstood or mistranslated on the issue. He also cited the unfavorable perception of the previous games by "some media outlets" as a reason for the changes and blamed the reduction of female clothing damage on otherwise being unable to distribute the game in the Western stores, stating he has been trying to avoid the repetition of the situation with Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 where they could not sell it in Europe and North America. Nevertheless, an Evo Japan 2019 official stream, featuring gravure idols Yuka Kuramochi and Saki Yoshida, was shut down and apologized for by the Evolution Championship Series president Joey Cuellar and head of business development Mark Julio citing "core values".
An open beta version was made available between January 12–14 for the PlayStation Plus subscribers. A new demo has been exclusive to PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold members between February 22–24.
Dead or Alive 6 was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 1, 2019, delayed two weeks from the original release date of February 15. Limited edition items in Japan include life-size bed sheets of Ayane and Kasumi, a bath poster of Ayane and Kasumi, and bust and buttocks shaped 3D mousepads of Honoka and Marie Rose. The in-game Nyotengu and Phase 4 characters have been included in pre-order and deluxe edition bonuses, along with exclusive costumes.
Similar to Dead or Alive 5, Dead or Alive 6 also has a "Core Fighters" free-to-play version, which was made available two week later on March 15. An arcade version was announced in late 2018 and was released on July 18, 2019.
The first downloadable content (DLC) season pass, costing more than the base game, adds two additional character as well as 62 new costumes. Momiji returned as a DLC, released at September 19, 2019. Rachel also returns as DLC, released in December, 2019.
The game features a Wi-Fi filter.
|The Games Machine||8.4/10|
According to review aggregator Metacritic, Dead or Alive 6 has received "mixed or average" reviews for the Windows and PlayStation 4 version, and received "generally favorable" reviews for the Xbox One version.
IGN's Mike Epstein said: "DoA 6 proves there's plenty of depth to this fighter beneath its skimpy outfits, but its story mode is disjointed and its multiplayer features are currently bare." GameSpot's Heidi Kemps said, "despite some missteps, DoA6 is a fun, engaging fighter with great-feeling, easy-to-pick-up combat, a strong sense of visual style, and a lot of personality. If you're looking for a new fighting game to learn the ins and outs of--or perhaps a nice entry into the 3D side of fighting games--DoA6 is a fighter of choice."
In a mixed review, Game Informer said that "while the tutorial and DOA Quest mode do a decent job of getting you up to speed on what makes combat tick, the awful story mode does it no favors, and the barebones online puts a damper on what could have been a second wind for the series."
EGMNow's Mollie Patterson, who reviewed the game, stated that "if its flaws can be forgiven, it's still a genuinely decent new Dead or Alive chapter that offers most of what fans have loved in the past. And, even if they are a pain to unlock, I love some of the non-paid alt costumes we've been given."
In Japan, approximately 26,442 physical units for PS4 were sold during its launch week becoming the number one selling game of any format. 350,000 units of the game have been shipped worldwide during the first month across all three platforms. By May 2019, the game had been downloaded 1 million times. The number of digital versions' owners crossed 2 million by December of that year.
The game was awarded "Best Fighting Game" at Hardcore Gamer’s Game of the Year Awards 2019.
|2018||Game Critics Awards||Best Fighting Game||Nominated|||
|2019||The Game Awards 2019||Nominated|||
|2020||23rd Annual D.I.C.E. Awards||Fighting Game of the Year||Nominated|||
|NAVGTR Awards||Game, Franchise Fighting||Nominated|||
- "Shoryuken interview: Dead or Alive 6 director Yohei Shimbori discusses development, DLC, and the franchise's legacy". Shoryuken. 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "Find Clues to Dead or Alive 6's Unannounced Returning Characters While You Wait for a Ton of Info". DualShockers. 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Interview Part 1 -- Developers Talk Latest Reveals, the New Heroine, and Much More". DualShockers. 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "Dead or Alive is more competitive than ever". Red Bull. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- Krabbe, Esra (June 25, 2018). "E3 2018: Dead or Alive 6 First Hands-On: Could Team Ninja Balance Familiar and Fresh". IGN. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Quest GamingTV, DOA6 Character Customization Showcase | DOA Festival 2018 Gameplay, retrieved 2019-01-18
- "【動画あり】『DOA6』の新衣装＆髪型変更を体験！ ティナ、バース、ミラ、クリスティの技表も！ 新堀Pインタビューも必見の『デッド オア アライブ 6』試遊リポート". ファミ通.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- Nelva, Giuseppe (2019-01-17). "Dead or Alive 6 Is a Lot of Sexy Fun and More Accessible for Newcomers". Twinfinite. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- Khan, Imran (June 14, 2018). "Dead Or Alive 6: The cast is back in fighting shape, but there are some confusing choices made". Game Informer. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "Dead or Alive 6 Won't Feature the New Girls from Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation". DualShockers. 2018-06-13. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- "【DOA Fes告知情報⑥】 DMM GAMES用PCゲーム『DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme Venus Vacation』からコラボキャラクターの参戦が決定！こちらも現在製作中につき、続報をお待ちください！ #DOA6 #DOAXVV #ブイブイpic.twitter.com/57FaXRxguk". November 23, 2019.
- Nelva, Giuseppe (2019-01-18). "Dead or Alive 6 -- There Is Hope for Momiji's Return as DLC if the Game Does Well". Twinfinite. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- Nelva, Giuseppe (2019-02-15). "Dead or Alive 6 Getting Mai Shiranui DLC, New Demo, and More; First Season Pass Detailed". Twinfinite. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Walker, Ian (August 5, 2018) Dead Or Alive 6 Is Less Sexualised, More Esports Kotaku. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Wong, Alistair (2020-03-07). "DOA Xtreme: Venus Vacation's Tamaki Uses Aikido in Dead or Alive 6". Siliconera. Curse LLC. Retrieved 2020-03-09.
Her natural talent also extends to aikido, which she began learning as a form of self-protection, but managed to learn to a level of mastery.
- Arif, Shabana (June 11, 2018). "Dead or Alive 6 story detailed, along with new screenshots". VG 247. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "『DOA』が、セクシーからクールに。システム、キャラクター、あのエンジンは？ 『デッド オア アライブ 6』インタビュー". ファミ通.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- McWhertor, Michael (June 8, 2018). "Dead or Alive 6 announced, coming early 2019". Polygon. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Interview Part 2: Koei Tecmo Unveils its Powerful New Engine". DualShockers. 2018-10-18. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- Fillari, Alessandro (2019-01-22). "Dead Or Alive 6 Devs Want To Make The Jump To The Larger Esports Stage". GameSpot. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- Ramee, Jordan (July 13, 2018). "Dead Or Alive 6 Makes The Franchise More Approachable And Accessible For Newcomers". GameSpot. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "Dead or Alive 6 : Notre Interview avec Yohei Shimbori, producteur du jeu". ActuGaming.net (in French). 2019-01-18. Retrieved 2019-01-19.
- "Dead or Alive 6 Won't Use the Soft Engine; Director Explains Tech and Change to "Cool" Looks". DualShockers. 2018-06-09. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- "Interview with Yohei Shimbori, Producer on Dead or Alive 6". Kayane.fr. 2019-01-16. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- Nelva, Giuseppe (2019-01-18). "Dead or Alive 6 Director Clarifies Comments on Reduced Fanservice; Debunks PS4 Censorship Rumors". Twinfinite. Retrieved 2019-01-19.
- Campbell, Colin (2019-01-22). "Dead or Alive 6's wokeness looks like marketing voodoo". Polygon. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- Nelva, Giuseppe (2019-01-22). "Dead or Alive 6 Interview: Director Talks Fanservice, Accessibility, DLC, and Much More". Twinfinite. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "Japanese Dead or Alive 6 Stream Axed After Things Got a Bit Too Sexually Suggestive". Push Square. 2019-02-15. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- "EVO Japan 電競直播腰斬！DOA 女模搖胸拍臀有違賽會核心價值 - ezone.hk - 遊戲動漫 - 電玩遊戲". ezone.hk 即時科技生活. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Chavez, Steven (2019-02-15). "EVO Japan 2019 stream cuts feed after lewd display during Dead or Alive 6 presentation, staff apologizes". EventHubs. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- "Dead or Alive 6 Open Beta Test Available to Download Now". Push Square. 2019-01-11. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- "Dead Or Alive 6 Delayed Until March 2019". Siliconera. 2019-01-08. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Ashaari, Alleef (September 10, 2018). "Dead or Alive 6 Release Date Announced by Koei Tecmo". Game Revolution. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "『DOA6』新堀P＆『DOAXVV』作田Dのコメントも掲載！ 『DOA』ファンの祭典""DEAD OR ALIVE FESTIVAL 2018"全体リポート". ファミ通.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- Nelva, Giuseppe (2019-02-22). "Dead or Alive 6 Reveals All Deluxe Costumes with New Images". Twinfinite. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "DEAD OR ALIVE 6 | CORE FIGHTERS". DEAD OR ALIVE 6. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "Free-to-play Dead or Alive 6: Core Fighters now available". Gematsu. 2019-03-15. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- "Dead or Alive 6's Arcade Version Announced". DualShockers. 2018-09-29. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- @doa6jp (2019-07-18). "DOA6アーケード版はAPM3(ALL .Net P-ras MULTI バージョン3)筐体でプレイできます。このAPM3には複数のゲームタイトルが含まれておりますので、店舗で本タイトルをお探しの際はご注意ください。" (Tweet) (in Japanese) – via Twitter.
- "Dead or Alive 6 $93 Season Pass 1 might not include all DLC". Shacknews. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "『DOA6』に紅葉（声：皆口裕子）の参戦が決定。紅葉用の衣装や忍者衣装のDLC配信も【TGS2019】". ファミ通.com.
- "Dead or Alive 6 DLC character Rachel announced". November 23, 2019.
- "Dead or Alive 6 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Dead or Alive 6 for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "Dead or Alive 6 for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- Patterson, Mollie L. (3 March 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 review". EGMNow. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Famitsu review scores (2/19/19)". Nintendo Everything. February 19, 2019. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Vazquez, Suriel (1 March 2019). "Dead Or Alive 6 Review – A Low Blow". Game Informer. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Treese, Tyler. "Dead or Alive 6 Review". Game Revolution. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Kemps, Heidi (4 March 2019). "Dead Or Alive 6 Review - Battle Ready". GameSpot. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Epstein, Mike (1 March 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 Review". IGN. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Ridsale, Jack (1 March 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 review – a sublime evolution of the fighting legend". PCGamesN. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Dellafrana, Danilo (28 February 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 Recensione PC PS4 Xbox One". The Games Machine (in Italian). Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Boxer, Steve (4 March 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 review – fabulous fighting with an unwelcome soft-porn vibe". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Romano, Sal (8 March 2019). "Media Create Sales: 2/25/19 – 3/3/19". Gematsu.
- Romano, Sal (26 April 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 shipments top 350,000". Gematsu. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Hills, Dakota 'DarkHorse' (May 16, 2019). "Dead or Alive 6 Core Fighters crosses 1 million downloads and Team Ninja is rewarding players to celebrate; update Version 1.05 released". EventHubs.
- Hills, Dakota 'DarkHorse' (December 17, 2019). "Rachel now available in Dead or Alive 6 along with Santa bikinis, a free Hayate costume and bonus character for PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live users". EventHubs.
- HG staff (3 January 2020). "Best of 2019 – Day Three: Sports, Fighting, Racing, Adventure, VR". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Watts, Steve (5 July 2018). "Resident Evil 2 Wins Top Honor In E3 Game Critics Awards". GameSpot. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Winslow, Jeremy (19 November 2019). "The Game Awards 2019 Nominees Full List". GameSpot. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Chalk, Andy (13 January 2020). "Control and Death Stranding get 8 nominations each for the 2020 DICE Awards". PC Gamer. Retrieved 19 January 2020.
- "2019 Nominees". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. 13 January 2020. Retrieved 19 January 2020.