Dead to Me (TV series)
|Dead to Me|
|Created by||Liz Feldman|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||26–33 minutes|
|Picture format||4K (16:9 UHDTV in high dynamic range)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||May 3, 2019 –|
Dead to Me is an American dark comedy web television series created by Liz Feldman that premiered on May 3, 2019 on Netflix. The series stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini and is executive produced by Feldman, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, and Jessica Elbaum. The first season received positive reviews upon its release.
Dead to Me is about "a powerful friendship that blossoms between Jen, a tightly wound widow, and Judy, a free spirit with a shocking secret."
Cast and characters
- Christina Applegate as Jen Harding, a real estate agent whose husband was killed by a hit-and-run driver.
- Linda Cardellini as Judy Hale, a woman that Jen met at a grief support group who befriends her. Unbeknownst to Jen, Judy is the person who hit and killed her husband.
- James Marsden as Steve Wood, Judy's ex-fiancé who is an attorney.
- Max Jenkins as Christopher Doyle, Jen's real estate business partner and friend.
- Sam McCarthy as Charlie Harding, Jen's older son.
- Luke Roessler as Henry Harding, Jen's younger son.
- Edward Asner as Abe Rifkin, Judy's friend from the retirement home where she works.
- Diana Maria Riva as Ana Perez, the police detective in charge of the hit-and-run case.
- Keong Sim as Pastor Wayne, Jen and Judy's grief support group leader.
- Brandon Scott as Nick, an off-duty cop whom Judy met at the grieving retreat.
- Valerie Mahaffey as Lorna Harding, Jen's mother-in-law and Ted's mother.
- Suzy Nakamura as Karen, Jen's neighbor.
- Haley Sims as Kayley
- Lily Knight as Linda
- Blair Beeken as Wendy
- Telma Hopkins as Yolanda, a member of the grief support group that Jen and Judy attend.
- Steve Howey as Jason
On April 5, 2018, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The series was created by Liz Feldman who was also expected to write for the series and executive produce alongside Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, and Jessica Elbaum. Production companies involved with the series were slated to consist of Gloria Sanchez Productions and CBS Television Studios. On November 2, 2018, it was reported that Amy York Rubin would direct the first and second episodes of the series.
On April 1, 2019, it was announced that the series is set to be released on May 3, 2019.
On July 11, 2018, it was announced that Christina Applegate had been cast in one of the series' two lead roles. On August 3, 2018, it was reported that Linda Cardellini had been cast in the series' other lead role. A week later, it was announced that Max Jenkins and Luke Roessler had been cast in series regular roles. On September 12, 2018, it was reported that James Marsden and Ed Asner had been cast in starring roles. In October 2018, it was announced that Sam McCarthy had joined the cast in a series regular capacity and that Diana Maria Riva had been cast in a recurring role.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Pilot"||Amy York Rubin||Liz Feldman||May 3, 2019|
|2||"Maybe I'm Crazy"||Amy York Rubin||Liz Feldman||May 3, 2019|
|3||"It's All My Fault"||Abe Sylvia||Anthony King||May 3, 2019|
|4||"I Can't Go Back"||Abe Sylvia||Kate Robin||May 3, 2019|
|5||"I've Gotta Get Away"||Minkie Spiro||Abe Sylvia||May 3, 2019|
|6||"Oh My God"||Minkie Spiro||Njeri Brown||May 3, 2019|
|7||"I Can Handle It"||Kat Coiro||Emma Rathbone||May 3, 2019|
|8||"Try to Stop Me"||Kat Coiro||Kelly Hutchinson||May 3, 2019|
|9||"I Have to Be Honest"||Geeta Patel||Rebecca Addelman||May 3, 2019|
|10||"You Have to Go"||Geeta Patel||Liz Feldman & Abe Sylvia||May 3, 2019|
On April 1, 2019, the official trailer was released.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 87% based on 38 reviews, with an average rating of 6.51/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Dead to Me doesn't always deliver on the gallows humor that it promises, but the sterling duo of Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini elevates the series above its pulpier aspects—offering a deeply moving relationship shaped by mutual grief." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Dead to Me – Listings". The Futon Critic.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 3, 2018). "Linda Cardellini To Star In Netflix Dark Comedy Series 'Dead To Me'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 5, 2018). "Netflix Orders Dark Comedy Series 'Dead To Me' From Liz Feldman, Gloria Sanchez Prods. & CBS TV Studios". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (April 5, 2018). "Netflix Orders Comedy 'Dead to Me' From Liz Feldman, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay". Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 5, 2018). "Netflix Orders Dark Comedy Series From Will Ferrell, Liz Feldman". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Burch, Sean (April 5, 2018). "Netflix Scores Dark Comedy 'Dead to Me' From Liz Feldman, Will Ferrell". TheWrap. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Wright, Megh (April 5, 2018). "Netflix Orders 'Dead to Me' Comedy from Liz Feldman, Will Ferrell, and Adam McKay". Splitsider. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (November 2, 2018). "'Dead To Me': Amy York Rubin To Direct Pilot & Second Episode Of Netflix Dark Comedy". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (April 1, 2019). "'Dead To Me' Trailer: First Look & Premiere Date For Netflix Dark Comedy". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 11, 2018). "Christina Applegate To Star In Netflix Dark Comedy Series 'Dead To Me'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (August 10, 2018). "'Dead To Me': Max Jenkins & Luke Roessler Cast As Series Regulars In Netflix Dark Comedy". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (September 12, 2018). "'Dead To Me': James Marsden & Ed Asner To Co-Star In Netflix Dark Comedy Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (October 4, 2018). "'Dead To Me' Casts Sam McCarthy; Fabrizio Guido Joins 'Mr. Iglesias'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (October 19, 2018). "'Dead To Me': Diana Maria Riva To Recur In Netflix Dark Comedy". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- "Dead to Me: Season 1 (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- "Dead to Me". Metacritic. CBS. Retrieved May 17, 2019.