Deadbolt performing live in Cologne, Germany
|Origin||San Diego, California, United States|
|Genres||Rock & Roll
|Associated acts||Strangers 1800|
|Website||Deadbolt's My Space Page|
Gary “Third Degree” Burns
|Past members||Les Vegas
The band originally formed in 1988 as a trio, featuring guitarist and vocalist Harley Davidson, bassist and vocalist Robert "RA" MacLean and drummer Les Vegas. Both Vegas and MacLean have since left the band. Vegas' departure is chronicled in the song "Po' Boy" on the album Hobo Babylon. The other current members of the band are bassist Gary "3rd Degree" Burns (part of the band's "Wall Of Thunder") and drummer Tank Johnson. Tank Johnson died on January 11, 2015. Former members of the band include The PhanTom (bass and guitar), Claymore Mines (bass), The Coroner (bass), Coffin Boy (bass), Moose Cutter (bass), and Mark Davidson (Harley's brother) aka Lord Von Crappo who still occasionally plays with the band. Vocalist/guitarist Diana Death occasionally contributes.
Deadbolt's music combines surf rock, goth, psychobilly and blues sound with unusual and offbeat lyrics, a style the band dubbed "voodoobilly." Besides the release of several CDs, the band has toured both North America and Europe extensively.
The band is known for its use of power tools during their live sets, and it is customary to be showered with sparks of red-hot metal during their live shows.
Three members of the band were also in a short-lived offshoot group called The Strangers 1800, which performed music from Spaghetti Western films and TV westerns and released one EP, When Men Were Men and the Sheep Were Scared and one split record with Deadbolt on Goldenrod Records.'
Discography & videography
- Creepy World (cassette only) - Mondo Records, 1992
- Shrunken Head - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 1994
- Tiki Man - Cargo/Headhunter Records 1994
- Tijuana Hit Squad - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 1996
- Zulu Death Mask - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 1998
- Voodoo Trucker - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 1999
- Hobo Babylon - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 2002
- Haight Street Hippie Massacre: The Best of Deadbolt (compilation) - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 2003
- I Should Have Killed You - Cargo/Headhunter Records, 2005
- Live at the Casbah - Re:Live, 2005
- Friday the 13th Massacre (Live) - Hod Rod Surf, 2009
- Voodoo Moonshiner - Voodoobilly Records, 2010
- Live In Berlin at The Wild At Heart 21st November, 2009 (2 CD & 3 disc album) - Knockout Records (German Import), 2010
- Buy a Gun - Get a Free Guitar (CD & LP) - Deadbolt Records, 2011
- "Down in the Lab" - Smells Like Grease for Peace, Standard Recordings, 1992 (split with Rocket from the Crypt's "Cha Cha Cha")
- "E Frank" - Trip 3 - Trademark Records, 1993 (split with Creedle's "Bicycle Moto-Cross")
- "Cockeye" - Goldenrod Records, 1995 (split with Strangers 1800's "Rawhide")
- "One Day I Will Kill You" / "Rockabilly Funeral" - Ewing Records, 2001
- "Telephone the Dead" - TKO Records, 2007 (split with Demented Are Go's "Sickness in Truth")
- "Down in the Lab" (Shrunken Head)
- "Who the Hell is Mrs. Valdez?" (Tiki Man)
- "Last Time I Saw Cole" (Tijuana Hit Squad)
- "The Second Solution (voodoo horror short)"
Compilation Albums Featuring Deadbolt Tracks
- Staring at the Sun, Vol. 2 (Blindspot Records, 1992) - "Who the Hell is Mrs. Valdez" and "Edie"
- Musica del Diablo: Live from the Casbah (Cargo Records, 1993) - "You Don't Want to Know Me"
- Staring at the Sun, Vol. 3 (Blindspot Records, 1993) - "Listen to the Messages"
- Saint Doug: San Diego Local Music Soundtrack (91-X, 1994) - "I Saw the King"
- 91-Xmas (91-X, 1994) - "Post Office Christmas Party" and "I'm the One Who Gunned Santa Down"
- Secret Agent S.O.U.N.D.S. (Mai Tai Records, 1995) - "James Bond Theme/You Only Live Twice"
- Halloween Hootenanny (Zombie-A-Go-Go Records, 1998) - "Psychic Voodoo Doll"
- Tigermask: Trash Au Go-Go (Dionysus Records, 1998) - "Magimbu"
- Hotter Than Hell: An Injection of Psychobilly Madness (Hairball 8 Records, 2000) - “The Interview”
- Monster Party 2000 (MuSick Recordings, 2000) - "Billy's Dead"
- That's New Pussycat! Surf Tribute To Burt Bacharach (Om Om Records, 2003) - "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head"
- Dear Johnny... A Tribute to CASH (Hairball 8 Records, 2004) - "Orange Blossom Special"
- Kicked out of Purgatory (Hairball 8 Records, 2004) - "Billy's Dead"