Deadfall (1968 film)
|Directed by||Bryan Forbes|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|October 8, 1968|
Theme song My Love Has Two Faces was performed by Shirley Bassey.
Cat burglar Henry Clarke (Michael Caine) checks himself into a sanitarium for alcoholics in Spain under a false pretense. His true motivation is to get closer to a wealthy clinic patient named Salinas (David Buck) and then rob his magnificent house.
Henry is approached by Fe Moreau (Giovanna Ralli) and her much older husband Richard (Eric Portman) to form an alliance. As a test run before the real robbery, they break into another stately home. After risking his life on a ledge, Henry becomes so angered by Richard's failure to crack the safe that, with great effort, he drags the entire safe and its contents out of the house.
Fe and Henry begin a romantic affair, which Richard, a homosexual with a young male lover, does not discourage. Fe buys a new Jaguar convertible for Henry and tells him the safe contained jewels worth at least a half-million dollars.
Before the time comes to rob Salinas's mansion, Fe travels to Tangiers without letting Henry know she was leaving. Richard then tells Henry a harrowing tale, of how he once betrayed a male lover to the Nazis and later impregnated the man's wife. Their baby turned out to be Fe, but rather than explain that she was his daughter, Richard married her instead.
A contemptuous Henry decides to break into Salinas' mansion on his own. Fe returns and is shocked when a suicidally depressed Richard reveals the truth about their relationship. She races to the Salinas mansion and inadvertently alerts a guard, who shoots Henry coming out a window. He falls from the ledge to his death.
With both her lover and husband/father dead, Fe attends a funeral. She is then led off by police, while Richard's gay lover drives off in Henry's car.
- Michael Caine as Henry Stuart Clarke
- Giovanna Ralli as Fé Moreau
- Eric Portman as Richard Moreau
- David Buck as Salinas
- Leonard Rossiter as Fillmore
- Geraldine Sherman as Delgado's Receptionist
- Carlos Pierre as Antonio
- Vladek Sheybal as Dr. Delgado
- Renata Tarragó as Guitar Soloist
- Nanette Newman as Girl
- "The Screen: 'Deadfall' Joins the Cat Burglar Vogue:New Drama Presents Caine and Portman Other Films Arrive at Neighborhood Houses". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- "Deadfall". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Deadfall at the Internet Movie Database
- John Barry- 'Theme from Romance For Guitar & Orchestra' from Deadfall on YouTube
|This 1960s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|