Box art for the Windows version of the game
|Developer(s)||The Farm 51|
|Composer(s)||Piotr Musial, Pawel Cincio, Arkadiusz Reikowski, Jakub Gawlina|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 3|
|Release||Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
|Genre(s)||First-person shooter, action-adventure|
Deadfall Adventures is an action-adventure video game developed by The Farm 51 and published by Nordic Games. Deadfall: Adventures was released on November 15, 2013 for Windows and Xbox 360, and on October 28, 2014 for PlayStation 3. The game is set in the universe of the Allan Quatermain series, created by H. Rider Haggard.
Deadfall Adventures is a first person action-adventure video game. The protagonist is a treasure hunter. The game takes place during the World War II era. The player fights Nazi soldiers and supernatural enemies through various environments like Egypt, Arctic and Maya ruins. The player has a compass that helps him to find hidden treasures which are optional but help in boosting health and stamina. The player also has to avoid and overcome traps and solve puzzles which guard the traps. The player can use Allan Quartermain's notebook which helps them to solve puzzles and overcome traps. Traps can also be used to impale enemies. The player also carries a flashlight which helps them to traverse dark areas and fend off supernatural enemies like mummies which can only be harmed after the player focuses their flashlight to soften them up. The player can use various weapons like revolver and shotgun and can also use a knife for melee combat.
The story takes place in the year 1938, with players assuming the role of famous adventurer Allan Quartermain's great-grandson, James Lee Quatermain. James's goal is to play escort to a U.S. agent as they travel to Egypt in search for "The Heart of Atlantis". Along the way, rival organizations such as the Nazis and Russians will be looking to obtain this device for their own purposes. Other supernatural elements such as mummies also play a part in the quest for The Heart of Atlantis.
Deadfall Adventures has been developed using Unreal Engine 3. It is reportedly inspired by action adventure books and movies such as Indiana Jones and adventurer Allan Quartermain (from the novels written by Henry Rider Haggard). The development team researched popular films and also took assistance from movie industry professionals to capture the treasure hunting genre’s tone and look. Nordic Games’ Reinhard Pollice stated that there will be advanced graphics and control options for PC players which will allow them to play on multiple system configurations. However, he also stated that they don’t want to make any version of the game better or different. The game was earlier announced to be released on July 30, 2013 but was then delayed to September 27 and then to November 15, 2013 when it was finally released. A collector's edition was also released which contains an Allan Quartermain revolver skin for the revolver in single-player mode and three multiplayer skins, a "Making Of" DVD, original soundtrack CD, a printed game manual and a "Bonus Content" DVD which includes an artbook. A beta version for Linux was released on December 31, 2013 for those who bought the Windows version of the game on Steam. On June 11, 2014 the developers announced that a PlayStation 3 version titled Deadfall Adventures: Heart of Atlantis will be released in the summer of 2014 with a number of enhancements. The game will include a new co-op survival mode, new boss fights, cutscenes, locations and an improved leveling system. The graphics have also been overhauled, according to the developer.
The game received a mixed-to-negative reception. It holds a score of 53/100 for the Windows version and 43/100 for the Xbox 360 version. Cameron Woolsey of GameSpot gave it a negative review of 3/10 saying "Deadfall Adventures becomes hopelessly predictable, breaking down into a tiresome formula of kill rooms and effortless puzzles." Craig Pearson of IGN gave it a negative review of 4/10 saying "It's an uninspired retread of good concepts, and an unfortunate visitor into a genre with some genuine giants. It might take you on a long trip across the globe to visit some attractive locations, but by the end the only temples I cared for were throbbing away in my head. ". Jeff Marchiafava of Game Informer gave it a score of 4/10 calling it "An Adventure Best Forgotten". Edge also gave it a review score of 4/10.
- Deadfall Adventures on Steam.Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- Cameron Woolsey (November 18, 2013). "Deadfall Adventures Review". GameSpot. CBS Corporation. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- "Deadfall Adventures: Adventurer's Equipment". deadfall-game.com. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Deadfall Adventures: Treasures, Traps & Puzzles". deadfall-game.com. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Nordic Games unveils their latest project: Deadfall Adventures".
- "Deadfall Adventures Interview: Comparison With Uncharted, Dual Wielding Pistols, Cinematic Experience And More". Gamingbolt.com. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Deadfall Adventures Delayed to September". Bluesnews.com. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Scammell, David (2013-08-30). "Deadfall Adventures delayed to November". Videogamer.com. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Nunneley, Stephany (2013-08-30). "Deadfall Adventures Collector’s Edition revealed". VG247. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Deadfall Adventures: Heart of Atlantis announced for PS3". IGN. j2 Global. July 11, 2014. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- "Deadfall Adventures for PC". GameRankings. CBS Corporation. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- "Deadfall Adventures reviews for Xbox 360 on GameRankings". GameRankings. CBS Corporation. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Painkiller: Hell & Damnation reviews for PC on Metacritc". Metacritic. CBS Corporation. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Deadfall Adventures reviews for Xbox 360 on Metacritic". Metacritic. CBS Corporation. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Deadfall Adventures Review on Edge". Edge. Future plc. November 13, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Jeff Marchiafava (November 21, 2013). "Deadfall Adventures Review on Game Informer - An Adventure Best Forgotten". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Craig Pearson (November 27, 2013). "Deadfall Adventures Review on IGN". IGN. j2 Global. Retrieved June 21, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- Jon Blyth Retrieved (November 13, 2013). "Deadfall Adventures Review on Official Xbox Magazine UK". [Official Xbox Magazine UK. Future plc. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- James Cunningham (November 13, 2013). "Deafall Adventures review on Hardcore Gamer". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved June 21, 2014.