Deadland Ritual performing at Rock im Park 2019
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Deadland Ritual is an English–American hard rock band. Formed in Los Angeles, California in 2018, the band is a supergroup composed of vocalist Franky Perez (Apocalyptica), guitarist Steve Stevens (Billy Idol, Michael Jackson), bassist Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell) and drummer Matt Sorum (Y Kant Tori Read, the Cult, Guns N' Roses and many others). Originally formed by Sorum, the group took shape with the addition of Perez and Stevens, and was finalised once Butler agreed to complete the lineup. Deadland Ritual released its first single, "Down in Flames", in December 2018.
2018–present: formation and debut single
The formation of Deadland Ritual was first announced on December 3, 2018, when the band's members began posting teasers of new music on their social media pages. Drummer Matt Sorum (formerly of Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver and more) initially conceived the band by enlisting vocalist Franky Perez (of Apocalyptica and formerly Scars on Broadway) and guitarist Steve Stevens (of Billy Idol), with former Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler brought in later. The drummer also came up with the name of the band, which is said to "reflect the idea of a ritualistic dead space". The band released its debut single and music video, "Down in Flames", a week later. The track was produced by Greg Fidelman. Revolver magazine's Kelsey Chapstick categorised the song as "heavy, bluesy rock", outlining that it "carries the sinister, devilish tones trademarked by Butler, but the exultant vocal performance by Perez and groove-laden syncopations of Sorum lend a distinctly contemporary hard-rock feel". Ryan Reed for Rolling Stone described the track as "a brooding blues-rock epic". Deadland Ritual played their first live shows in 2019, appearing at Download Festival in the UK and Hellfest in France, both in June. However, the band's debut was performed at The Troubadour in West Hollywood, CA on May 28, 2019.
- Franky Perez – Lead vocals (2018–present)
- Steve Stevens – Lead guitar (2018–present)
- Geezer Butler – Bass guitar (2018–present)
- Matt Sorum – Drums, percussion (2018–present)
- "Down in Flames" (2018)
- "Broken and Bruised" (2019)
- Erickson, Anne (December 3, 2018). "Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler forms new band Deadland Ritual with Matt Sorum, Steve Stevens and Franky Perez". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Kielty, Martin (December 10, 2018). "Geezer Butler, Matt Sorum, Steve Stevens And Franky Perez Premiere Deadland Ritual's 'Down in Flames' Video". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Deadland Ritual Feat. Geezer Butler, Matt Sorum, Steve Stevens: 'Down In Flames' Video". Blabbermouth.net. December 10, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Chapstick, Kelsey (December 10, 2018). "Hear Geezer Butler Supergroup Deadland Ritual's Bluesy New Song "Down in Flames"". Revolver. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Reed, Ryan (December 10, 2018). "Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler Unveils New Band, Deadland Ritual". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Colothan, Scott (December 11, 2018). "Geezer Butler's new band Deadland Ritual unleash debut song & confirm Download slot". Planet Rock. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Troubadour". Troubadour.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deadland Ritual.|