A dean's list is a category of students in a college or university who achieve high grades during their stay in an academic term or academic year. In secondary schools, or high schools, the terms honor roll and honor list are more common, but these are generally synonymous. Other terms for this academic recognition include provost's list, chancellor's list, president's list, rector's list, and director's list.
It is most often found in North America but is also used by universities in Australia and the Philippines. Some colleges in Europe and Asia also use the term, at least at graduation.
Its meaning varies from institution to institution although the list is generally based on grade point average (GPA).
The dean's list GPA requirements vary from school to school, although there are general standards:
- With the GPA scale from 0 to 4, 4 being an A, the dean's list cutoff is typically around 3.5.
- Top 10% of the class in GPA
Some schools maintain two lists for two different levels of GPA. For example, the dean's list records students with at least a 3.5 GPA whereas the chancellor's list records students with a higher 4.0 GPA.
Different from an academic scholarship, the dean's list award does not come with any financial aid. However, students high on the dean's list are often offered extra financial aid, especially if they express a desire to transfer or exhibit more financial need.
Recognition is often granted at graduation for students that were in the dean's list for more than one semester. At some universities, the dean's list is also a transcriptable honor.
The dean to which the list is referring is the dean of the entire school, not the dean of academic affairs.
A number of universities in Australia produce a dean's list in respect of each faculty. Students are generally eligible to appear on the dean's list if they have achieved an average grade of high distinction for the year.
Ateneo De Manila University in Quezon City produces a Dean's List. De La Salle University – Dasmariñas, Cavite produces a Dean's Honor List. Likewise the main Manila campus of De La Salle University produces a Dean's Honors List which includes incentives.
- "Honor Roll [BOE*]", 2016-17 Parent Handbook (pdf), Annapolis, Maryland: Anne Arundel County Public Schools, p. 24, retrieved January 11, 2017
- chicagobhoy1967 (February 23, 2015). "From the community: Eisenhower High School announces Honor Roll". Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Illinois. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "All-A Honor Roll recognition". Pearland Independent School District. Pearland, Texas: Pearland Independent School District. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Silver Creek Middle/High School Honor List, Quarter 3, April 2016". Observer. Dunkirk, New York: Observer Today. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Honor List: Wellston High School". The Jackson County Times-Journal. Jackson, Ohio. October 28, 2016.
- "Office of the Registrar: Provost's List". UW. University of Wyoming. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The requirements to be met are as follows: 1. Undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 6 UW semester hours, but fewer than 12 UW semester hours, of which at least 6 semester hours must be graded on the basis of A, B, C, D or F with no semester grade of X. Courses taken for audit do not count for honor roll purposes. 2. A grade point average of 3.5 or better.
- "More than 1,000 IU Southeast students honored for academics in spring semester" (Press release). New Albany, Indiana: Indiana University Southeast. June 7, 2016. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The Dean’s and Chancellor’s lists both recognize students who have achieved outstanding semester honors in academics. Those named to the Chancellor’s List received highest academic honors in the spring semester.
- "UNC Asheville Announces Fall 2016 Chancellor's List and Dean's List Students". UNC Asheville. University of North Carolina at Asheville. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The Chancellor's List is made up of full-time students who have achieved a 4.0 grade point average. The Dean's List is made up of full-time students who have achieved between 3.5 and 3.99 grade point average.
- "President's List". Gonzaga University. Gonzaga University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
An undergraduate student whose grade point average for a semester is 3.70 through 4.0 will be placed on the President's List.
- "Rector's List". WU Vienna. Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (Vienna University of Economics and Business). Retrieved January 11, 2017.
Am Ende jedes Studiensemesters wird für beide WU Bachelorstudien eine so genannte Rector's List veröffentlicht. Dadurch zeichnet die Rektorin der Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien die besten Studierenden des jeweiligen Semesters aus und setzt ein deutliches Zeichen der Anerkennung für herausragende Studienleistungen. [At the end of each semester, a so-called rector's list is published for both WU Bachelor studies. As a result, the Rector of the Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration honors the best students of the respective semester and is a clear sign of recognition for outstanding study achievements.]
- "Class of 2014 Honors". Wharton SPIKE. The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Archived from the original on May 13, 2014.
- "Dean's List". OSU.EDU. The Ohio State University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
Students completing a minimum of 12 graded credit hours with a GPA of 3.5 or higher for any given term will be named to the Dean's List for that term in the college in which they are enrolled. Courses graded satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) or pass/non-pass (PA/NP) do not count toward the minimum 12 graded hours, and a grade of U, E, EN, or NP will disqualify you from making the Dean's List, even if you meet the 3.5 criteria.
- "Academic Regulations and Procedures". Undergraduate Catalog. University of Central Florida. 2015. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The Dean’s List is compiled in recognition of scholastic honors to degree-seeking undergraduate students who earn a minimum 3.4 GPA, complete a minimum of 12 credit hours, earn no grade less than “C” (2.0) and no “I,” “U,” “N,” “NC,” or “WF” grades during a term.
- "Dean's list and Arts and Science Scholars". Concordia Facult of Arts and Science. Concordia University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The Dean's List is compiled every year after the last annual GPA has been calculated. The list is published on the Faculty of Arts and Science website in the following Fall term. For a student to be eligible to be on the Dean's list, they must meet the following criteria: Be registered as a full time student in an Arts and Science degree program in both the fall and winter terms within the academic year. Have a last annual GPA of 3.75 or above.
- "Congratulations to each student on the Dean's List!". Ryerson University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science. Ryerson University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
To be eligible for consideration for the Dean's List in the Faculty of Engineering and Architectural Science, undergraduate students must: 1. Carry an average unit load of 4.0 billing units or higher for the two terms of the academic year under consideration (Fall and Winter).* 2. Obtain a minimum GPA of 3.5 for the academic year under consideration. The minimum GPA applies for both the Fall and Winter terms exclusively, in addition to the student's overall GPA for the year.
- "Introduction of Examination". Pokhara University. Lekhnath, Kaski, Nepal: Pokhara University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
14. Dean’s List: The Dean’s list recognizes outstanding academic performance. To qualify, a student must obtain a CGPA of at least 3.7 in the undergraduate level and 3.8 in the graduate level.
- "Dean's List Requirements". Cornell University. 2008-06-16. Archived from the original on September 1, 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
Minimum GPA Required: 12 Credits --- 3.85 or higher, 13 or 14 credits --- 3.75 or higher, 15 or 16 credits --- 3.65 or higher, 17 or more credits --- 3.55 or higher
- "Falk College Spring 2016 Dean's List". Falk College. Syracuse University. January 11, 2017.
Students at the College are named to Dean’s list when they have achieved a minimum of a 3.4 semester grade point average and have earned at least 12 credit hours of course work. Students receive a certificate of achievement from Dean Murphy and often cite this honor on their resume, portfolio or when applying for employment.
- "Dean's List". University of Washington. University of Washington. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The Quarterly Dean's List includes the names of matriculated undergraduate students who are pursuing their first undergraduate degree and have attained a quarterly GPA of 3.50 in the final grades for at least 12 graded credits. Appropriate entries regarding inclusion on the Dean's List are made on the student's permanent academic record.
- "University Honors". Gonzaga University. Gonzaga University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
Welcome to the Gonzaga University Honors webpage, showcasing students who have achieved academic excellence and earned a place on either our President's List or the Dean's List. These lists are published twice a year following the completion of the fall and spring semesters.
- "Dean's List and Dean's Commendations". ACU. Australian Catholic University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
Each year, the Faculty of Health Sciences identifies Bachelor and Bachelor (Honours) students who meet or exceed the University Medal score as adopted by Academic Board.... Each year Bachelor and Bachelor (Honours) students who have achieved a GPA of 6.00, or higher, are eligible for an Executive Dean’s Commendation.
- "Dean's List: Recognising academic excellence in the Arts & Social Sciences". UNSW Australia. University of New South Wales. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The Dean’s List recognises and congratulates academic excellence within UNSW Arts & Social Sciences. It is an opportunity to honour our top achieving students. The list consists of students who have gained a weighted average mark (WAM) of 80 or higher having completed 48 units of credit in that particular year of undergraduate study at UNSW Australia.
- "Dean's Listers". Ateneo de Manila University School of Social Sciences. Ateneo De Manila University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Dean's Honor List". De La Salle University - Dasmariñas. De La Salle University - Dasmariñas. November 7, 2016. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
The following are the lists of students who have qualified for the Dean's List for the 2nd Semester of S.Y. 2015-2016
- "Dean's Honor List". De La Salle University. De La Salle University. Retrieved January 11, 2017.