Devlin at the 2011 Saturn Awards
August 27, 1962 |
New York City, USA
|Spouse(s)||Lisa Brenner (2003–present)|
Devlin was born in New York City, the son of actress Pilar Seurat and Don Devlin, a writer, actor, and producer. His father was Jewish and his mother was Filipino. He is married to actress Lisa Brenner.
Devlin appeared as an actor on numerous television shows throughout the 1980s. He also appeared in films including My Bodyguard, The Wild Life, Real Genius and Martians Go Home. Due to his youthful appearance, Devlin often played teenage characters despite being in his 20s.
Devlin gradually began writing scripts. His first produced screenplay was for Universal Soldier which was a worldwide hit. He reached prominence as a writer/producer working alongside director Roland Emmerich with whom he teamed after appearing in Emmerich's film Moon 44. Together they cowrote and produced Stargate which became the first movie to have a web site (run by Devlin himself). The team then produced Independence Day and Godzilla. Their final collaboration was on the 2000 Mel Gibson film The Patriot, where Devlin met his future wife. Devlin has also produced Cellular, Who Killed the Electric Car?, and Flyboys. On October 12, 2009 Devlin's screenwriting partner Roland Emmerich confirmed that he and Devlin have written a script for a sequel to Independence Day, and that they are in contract negotiations with Will Smith. They have stated they do not want to make the sequel if Smith cannot return. On June 24, 2011, Devlin confirmed that he and Emmerich have found an idea for the sequel and have written a treatment for it.
Devlin is set to direct an action sci-fi film Geostorm for Warner Bros. which Gerard Butler will lead. The film is set for March 25, 2016 release. In addition to Butler, the film will star Alison Brie, Jack O'Connell, Tilda Swinton, Matt Smith, Michael Caine, August Diehl, David Gyasi, Andy Buckley, Daniel Cudmore and Barkhad Abdi.
- Dean Devlin Biography (1962–)
- "Fil-Am producer Dean Devlin soars with 'Flyboys'". Philippine Daily Inquirer. September 24, 2006. Retrieved March 10, 2007.
- "Godzilla guy has a love for the game". Reed Business Information. December 11, 2000. Retrieved April 26, 2009.
- "Exclusive: Producer Dean Devlin Talks INDEPENDENCE DAY Sequels, STARGATE Movie Sequels, GODZILLA and More at the Saturn Awards". Collider.com. June 24, 2011. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- McNary, Dave (11 April 2014). "Gerard Butler to Star in Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Geostorm’". variety.com. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Warner Bros Slots ‘Geostorm’ For 2016". deadline.com. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Zenimax Media Inc. | profile – business advisory board". Web.archive.org. September 23, 2001. Archived from the original on February 11, 2001. Retrieved January 23, 2013.