Dean Evan Hart
Dean Evan Hart
|Born||November 4, 1957|
|Known for||Scientist, clinician|
Dean Evan Hart, O.D., M.A., M.S. (Candidate in Bioethics), B.S., A.A.S., F.A.A.O. (born November 4, 1957) is a U.S.-based scientist, clinical optometrist, professor, and the founder of Woodbury Ophthalmic Group and Woodbury Optical Studio. Dean ran for Nassau County Legislature in 2015. He was a candidate for the New York State Assembly in the 15th Assembly District of 2016 election. Hart also ran for town office in 2017.
Early life and education
Hart lived his lifetime in the Town of Oyster Bay, first in Jericho and now Brookville, New York. He graduated from Jericho High School. Dean holds a number of degrees starting with an A.A.S. in ophthalmic dispensing from Erie Community College, then a B.A. from New York Institute of Technology with minors in social and life sciences as well as business, an M.A. from Hofstra University in biology, and an O.D. from the SUNY College of Optometry. He was also appointed to conduct postgraduate research at the University of California, Berkeley. He is currently pursuing an M.S. degree in Bioethics at Columbia University.
Medical and science - Treatment of the visually impaired
Dean Hart held a position in academia starting with Director of the Low Vision Clinic to teach Ophthalmology residents to treat and manage the visually impaired at Harlem Hospital Medical Center. He instructed and mentored the art of Refraction and Physical Optics within the Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, The Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute.
Hart was an Associate Research Scientist at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Department of Ophthalmology, Harkness Eye Institute from 1989-1998. He was appointed Assistant Professor in Ophthalmology at Columbia University directing contact lens and low vision clinics from 1998-2012.
Hart concurrently founded Woodbury Ophthalmic Group and Woodbury Optical Studio in 1989 in Hicksville, NY and practiced optometry there ever since. He is licensed by the American Board of Opticianry. While founding his own practice, Dean widely publishes and lectures to the three O's – opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologists. He has been a reviewer of many different peer review scientific journal articles prior to publication. Dean is often interviewed by various TV and radio networks on clinically applicable issues. Dr. Hart attended press conferences in New York City and Long Island, NY about protecting people's eyes when viewing the solar eclipse of August 21, 2017 featured in newspapers and on television.
As a scientist, Hart mastered and applied different techniques to laboratory and clinical research endeavors. He also conducts lectures, presentations, and writes for publications to scientists in many fields on research topics including immunocytohistochemistry, polymer chemistry, biochemistry, electron microscopy, dietary and environments effects on tears, clinical epidemiology, microbiology, elemental analysis, physiological optics, bioethics, and contact lenses.
In 2015, Hart ran for Nassau County Legislature on the Democratic line against an incumbent Republican in the 18th Legislative District and lost by one-percent. Hart founded Long Island Citizens for Good Government (LICGG) and became its president. As President of the group he called on Nassau County District Attorney to investigate Town of Oyster Bay contracts. He also supports oversight of Oyster Bay finances. In spring of 2016, Dean launched his campaign for the New York State Assembly. Hart has been a candidate for town, county, and state offices, running on Democrat, Working Family, Women's Equality, Independence, Green, and Reform party lines. There is a recurring theme of anti-corruption and government reform which emphasizes greater checks and balances with his runs for office and activism. He is also a constitutionalist and libertarian by bioethical philosophy.
Hart joined Moreano World Medical Mission on a trip to the Dominican Republic to fit eyeglasses for impoverished children and seniors without cost to patients. Dr. Hart donated most of the tools needed to carry out the mission. He went with the help of Woodbury Optical. The trip was praised by New York State Assemblyman Chuck Lavine.
Hart spoke at the United Nations about advancing women's healthcare globally after his trip to the Dominican Republic. He noted the disproportionate impact of lacking adequate healthcare on women and their eyes.
As President of Long Island Citizens for Good Government, Hart called for ending a contract with Florida-based Armor Correctional Health Services and entering a contract with Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow to keep tax dollars in state and provide faster medical attention due to the hospital being “across the street” from the jail. As well as mistreatment of prisoners, another concern was billing fraud, which is already under investigation by the State Attorney General. The medical center needed improvement that now is implemented.
Hart donated many years to work with the visually impaired in New York's inner city, Harlem. In 2016 he volunteered time for ophthalmic care at the special Olympics in Brockport, NY. Dr. Hart is currently the Ophthalmic Affairs Chairman of Friends for Good Health, an international not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that works to provide healthcare for people in poverty around the world.
Awards and recognition
- Long Island Business News- 2016 Top CEO Awards
- Long Island Business news- 2016 Achievements in Healthcare
- American Optometric Association's, Contact Lens Section awarded its inaugural legend award in 2012.
- American Optometric Association, Contact Lens Section awarded its yearly achievement award in 1999.
- The Joint Commission of Allied Health Professionals in Ophthalmology issued the faculty recognition in 1999
- The American Optometric Foundation - Harold Kohn memorial award for outstanding paper based on original investigative research work in 1987.
- Sola/Barnes-Hind - scholarship to study microbial associations and perform scanning electron microscopy to examine the varied interactions with soft lenses as a postgraduate researcher, the University of California at Berkeley in 1985.
- Sola/Barnes-Hind - collaborative study concerning potassium levels in the tear fluid of, and nutrition to, lipid depositors in 1985.
- The National Eye Institute - travel fellowship for the presentation of research findings, 1985 ARVO meeting
- Sola/Barnes-Hind - scanning electron microscopy at the American Museum of Natural History in 1984.
- Optometric Center of New York in 1984.
- Scuba diving photographic awards
- Front and back covers of diver alert network photographs as well as NJ macro photo award.
- Michael, Fricchione (19 February 2016). "Mercy Mission To Provide Eyeglasses For Children". Long Island Weekly. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Harrison, Marder (29 October 2015). "Dean Hart running as the self-proclaimed "anti-politician"". theislandnow.com. Archived from the original on 11 September 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Kirstan, Conley (31 October 2015). "Candidate gives out handcuffs to spotlight corruption". New York Post. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Celeste, Hadrick (24 September 2015). "Novice Democratic candidate takes on Nassau Republicans (Updated)". newsday.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "State Assembly Candidate Files Evidence with Nassau County DA to Investigate County Board of Elections". longisland.com. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Rizzo, Frank (2017-04-28). "Oyster Bay Dems Seek To Clean House". Oyster Bay Enterprise Pilot. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "Flanzer Eye Center Opens - THE DEPARTMENT OF OPHTHALMOLOGY Columbia University at The Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute" (PDF). VIEWPOINT. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology, Annual Continuing Education Program San Francisco CA, October1998 Dry eye diagnosis and management / The rejected prescription / Life cycle of a soft lens
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Dallas Tx, October 2000 The rejected prescription
- "About Dean E Hart, OD". wellness.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Woodbury Ophthalmic Group". VIEWPOINT. Archived from the original on 12 October 2003. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Protective eyewear urged for eclipse viewing". Newsday. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Docs warn New Yorkers to protect eyes during solar eclipse". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Eclipse Viewing Glasses Fall Into Short Supply Ahead Of Big Event". Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- Hart D, Plociniak M, Grimes G. Defining the physiologically normal coating and pathological deposit: an analysis of sulfur containing moieties and pellicle thickness on hydrogel contact lenses. Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists. April 1998, pages 85-101.
- Hart D, Simko M, Harris E. Moisture chamber eyeglasses for the dry eye patient. Journal of the American Optometric Association. July 1994, pages 517-522.
- Hart D. Surface interactions on hydrogel contact lenses: scanning electron microscopy. Journal of the American Optometric Association. December 1987, pages 962-974.
- Hart D. Lecture. Determination of Lens Type Using a Cationic Dye. Lecture presented at; Feb. 2002; The Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists (CLAO), Los Angeles.
- Hart D. Lecture. The rejected prescription. Lecture presented at; Oct. 2000; American Academy of Ophthalmology, Dallas.
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Fort Lauderdale Florida, May 2002 Determination of lens type using a cationic dye
- The Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists (CLAO), Los Angeles, February 2002, Determination of Lens Type Using a Cationic Dye
- Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology, Annual Continuing Education Program Dallas Tx, October 2000 The rejected prescription: an optician’s perspective / Life cycle of a soft lens
- Celeste, Hadrick (9 October 2015). "Dean Hart, Nassau candidate, seeks state probe of legislative mailings". newsday.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Incumbents stay put in town, county elections". theislandnow.com. 5 November 2015. Archived from the original on 30 June 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Paul, LaRocco (14 October 2015). "Candidate's latest target: Pols' public branding". newsday.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- David, Olson (8 April 2016). "Nassau DA should investigate Oyster Bay contracts, group says". newsday.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Rally calls for reform at Nassau jail medical center". longisland.news12.com. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "New York AG's Office Sues Prison Health Care Provider After Nassau County Inmate Deaths". newyork.cbslocal.com. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Watchdog group: Investigate town contracts". Newsday. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Robert, Brodsky (26 May 2016). "Dean Hart bringing donkey to Nassau Democrats' convention". newsday.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "New York District 15 State Assembly Results: Michael Montesano Wins". Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "Candidate List". nassauvotes.com. September 1, 2017. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- "Deanhart | CLEAN CORRUPTION CORRECTLY |". deanhart.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "LI Citizens For Good Government – LI Citizens For Good Government". licitizensforgoodgovernment.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Rohanie Parbhoo, “Humanitarian Mission With A Clear Vision,” Syosset-Jericho Tribune, Feb. 24-Mar. 1, 2016, 12-13 “Issues,” last updated 2016,
- Rohanie Parbhoo, “Mission Has A Clear Vision,” Hicksville News, Mar. 2-8, 2016, 1-4
- Michael Fricchione, “Mercy Mission To Provide Eyeglasses For Children,” Long Island Weekly, Feb. 19, 2016, accessed Apr. 5, 2016, http://longislandweekly.com/mercy-mission-to-provide-eyeglasses-for-children/#respond
- Dean Hart for State Assembly,” last updated August 16, https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Hart-for-New-York-State-Assembly-510714182412978
- Dean Hart, “Letter to the Editor: Jailhouse Fraud,” Syosset Jericho Tribune, August 10–16, 2016, A2
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2003-10-12. Retrieved 2016-09-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- “Manhattan close-up: Harlem clinic specializes in low vision problems”, Newsday, June 19, 1989
- "Team - Friends For Good Health". Friends For Good Health. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Top CEO Awards". libn.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Achievements in Health Care" (PDF). libn.com. November 1, 2016.
- Dean Hart, “Here’s Lookin’ at You,” Photograph, Alert Diver: The Magazine of Divers Alert Network, Nov./Dec, 1999, Cover
- Dean Hart, Untitled, Photograph, Alert Diver: The Magazine of Divers Alert Network, Nov./Dec., 1994, Cover
- Dean Hart, “Serenity Scuba”, Photograph, Alert Diver: The Magazine of Divers Alert Network, n.d., Cover