Dean Paul Martin
|Dean Paul Martin|
|Born||Dean Paul Martin, Jr.
November 17, 1951
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Died||March 21, 1987
San Gorgonio Mountain, California, U.S.
|Cause of death||military aircraft crash|
(m. 1971–1978; divorced) 1 son
(m. 1982–1984; divorced)
|Children||Alexander Martin (b. 1973)|
Dean Paul Martin, Jr (November 17, 1951 – March 21, 1987) was an American entertainer, a noted tennis player, a singer and actor, and a military pilot.
Early life and career
Martin's parents were singer and entertainer Dean Martin and his second wife, Jeanne Biegger. Dean Paul was the fifth of Dean Martin's seven children, and was Jeanne's eldest son. He attended the Urban Military Academy in Brentwood, California. As a youth Martin was encouraged toward a singing career. At age 13 he joined Desi Arnaz Jr. and Billy Hinsche in the pop group Dino, Desi, & Billy, which had a few minor hits in the US between 1965 and 1968, landing in the Top 30 twice.
Martin began to go by his given name of Dean Paul instead of the nickname "Dino" in his late teens. He became a successful tennis player (he competed in a junior competition at Wimbledon) and an actor. He co-starred with Ali MacGraw in the 1979 film Players, starring as a professional tennis player, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award as Best New Star of the Year—Male.
Aviation career and death
Martin, an avid pilot, obtained his pilot's license at age 16 and became an officer in the California Air National Guard in 1981. He rose to the rank of captain. He died in 1987 when his Air National Guard F-4 Phantom jet fighter departed March Air Force Base and crashed in California's San Bernardino Mountains during a snowstorm, killing him and his Weapons Systems Officer, Captain Ramon Ortiz.
Martin married actress Olivia Hussey in 1971; they had one child, Alexander, and divorced in 1978. He married Olympic gold medalist ice skater Dorothy Hamill in 1982, and they divorced in 1984.
- "Dean Martin's son disappears in jet". The Evening News. Newburgh, New York. Associated Press. March 24, 1987. p. 12A.
- "Dean Paul Martin's body taken off peak". Lewiston Daily Sun. Maine. Associated Press. March 27, 1987. p. 3.
- "Dean Paul Martin's body found". Pittsburgh Press. UPI. March 26, 1987. p. A9.
- Wolfson, Lisa (April 2, 1987). "Stars attend services for Dean Paul Martin". Reading Eagle. Pennsylvania. Associated Press. p. 38.
- "Dino Martin weds". The Evening News. Newburgh, New York. Associated Press. April 19, 1971. p. 1.
- "Dino Martin weds". The Bangor Daily News. Maine. Associated Press. April 19, 1971. p. 23.
- Wilson, Earl (October 2, 1978). "Newly divorced Olivia visits". Milwaukee Sentinel. Field Enterprises, Inc. p. 2, part 3.
- "Dorothy Hamill marries Dean Martin's son". Ellensburg Daily Record. Washington. UPI. January 9, 1982. p. 12.