Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kevin Connolly|
|Produced by||Caleb Applegate
|Written by||Cecilia Contreras
|Music by||Aaron Zigman|
|Edited by||Jim Flynn|
|Distributed by||Destination Films|
Dear Eleanor is a 2016 American film, directed by Kevin Connolly, and starring Isabelle Fuhrman, Josh Lucas, Liana Liberato, and Jessica Alba. Written by Cecilia Contreras and Amy Garcia, it is a coming of age story about two best friends traveling across the U.S. in 1962 to meet their childhood hero, Eleanor Roosevelt. The film was produced by Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way Productions.
In 1962, in the shadow of the Cuban Missile Crisis, two teenage girls (Isabelle Fuhrman and Liana Liberato) break out of their normal life, jump in the car and embark on a trip across the country in search of the former First Lady of the United States, Eleanor Roosevelt. Their Thelma & Louise cross-country adventure is a mix of hilarious joy ride and an empowering personal odyssey that not only tests their friendship for the first time but also lands the girls in jail.
Chuck Pacheco, Hillary Sherman and Caleb Applegate produced the film, which began shooting in Boulder County, Colorado on May 14, 2013. The town of Niwot doubled for the protagonist's 1960s hometown of Manteca, California. Towns in Colorado's Front Range section of the Rocky Mountains, including Longmont, Lyons, Nederland, Boulder and Hygiene, were also used as locations. Filming took place in Downtown Denver at the Paramount Theatre before shooting wrapped in mid-June. Re-shoots occurred approximately a year later. A Colorado state economic incentive program helped to attract the production, which would spend $2.5 million in the state.
- "Isabelle Fuhrman Joins Kevin Connolly-Helmed 'Dear Eleanor'". Deadline.com. May 23, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- Sealover, Ed (February 14, 2013). "Hollywood comes to Colorado: 3 films to be made here under incentives program". Denver Business Journal. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Jardin, Jeff (July 10, 2013). "Jardine: Small Colorado town becomes Manteca for film starring Jessica Alba". The Modesto Bee. Archived from the original on July 14, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- Albee, Drew (May 8, 2016). "Boulder County gets its close-up with 'Dear Eleanor' debut". Daily Camera. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- "Sneak peek at filming of 'Dear Eleanor' in Denver". 9news.com. June 12, 2013. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Svaldi, Aldo (February 14, 2013). "Colorado uses incentives to lure three feature films". The Denver Post. Retrieved June 6, 2013.