Dear Future Self (Hands Up)
|"Dear Future Self"|
|Single by Fall Out Boy featuring Wyclef Jean|
|from the album Greatest Hits: Believers Never Die – Volume Two|
|Released||September 10, 2019|
|Studio||Nervous Breakdance Studios|
(Studio City, California)
The Rate Cave and the Rib Cage
(Los Angeles, California)
|Fall Out Boy singles chronology|
|Wyclef Jean singles chronology|
"Dear Future Self (Hands Up)" is a song by American rock band Fall Out Boy featuring Haitian rapper Wyclef Jean. It was released on September 10, 2019, on DCD2 and Island Records as a promotional single from their upcoming compilation album, Greatest Hits: Believers Never Die – Volume Two.
In October 2009, Fall Out Boy announced their first greatest hits album, Believers Never Die – Greatest Hits. The compilation album was released on November 17, 2009. Nearly ten years after the release of the album, the band announced Believers Never Die Volume Two – Greatest Hits, with a scheduled release date of November 15, 2019. The announcement coincides with the Hella Mega Tour announcement, a concert tour scheduled to take place from June to August 2020 with American rock bands Green Day and Weezer, in Europe and the United States.
"Dear Future Self (Hands Up)" is a prominent surf rock and pop song written by Fall Out Boy, Wyclef Jean, Jens Siverstedt, Jonas Wallin, and Noonie Bao. The chorus samples "Hands Up" by Inna. The track has a runtime of 2 minutes and 51 seconds. In an interview with Zane Lowe on Apple Music's radio station Beats 1, Pete Wentz spoke about the composition of the song:
I think we've always been big fans of Fugees and Wyclef. He's got an incredible sense of melody that's kind of out there. It's like you can tell it's a mix from all over kind of the globe, which is cool, and super inspired by seeing my kids and that they just listen to song, to song, to song, to song and it's going from Queen to Little Uzi to you know...
Credits and personnel
Fall Out Boy
- Patrick Stump – lead vocals, lead guitar, programming, production, composing
- Pete Wentz – bass guitar, composing
- Joe Trohman – lead guitar, composing, vocals
- Andy Hurley – drums, percussion, composing, vocals
- Wyclef Jean – featured artist, composing, production, vocals
- Suzy Shinn – co-producer, recording engineer
- Jens Siverstedt – production, composing
- Wesley Seidman – recording engineer
- Mark "Spike" Stent – mixing engineer
- Michael Freeman – assistant engineer
- Noonie Bao – additional vocals, composing
- Randy Merrill – mastering engineer
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||17|
- "Fall Out Boy Release New Single, Dear Future Self (Hands Up), Featuring Wyclef Jean". Kerrang!.
- "Fall Out Boy". Fall Out Boy.
- "Green Day, Weezer, Fall Out Boy Announce 2020 'Hella Mega' Stadium Tour". September 10, 2019.
- "Fall Out Boy Just Dropped A New Single Feat. Wyclef Jean + Announced 'Believers Never Die, Vol. 2' - News". Rock Sound Magazine.
- "Fall Out Boy Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 17, 2019.