This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Heavy metal, doom metal, speed metal (early), industrial metal (later)|
1977 - 1984|
1988 - 2008
2012 - present
Lucifer Rising Records
Death SS (later also intended as a contraction of In Death of Steve Sylvester) is an Italian heavy metal band.
Death SS was formed in 1977 in Pesaro by Steve Sylvester (born Stefano Silvestri), who was a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis, and Paul Chain (Paolo Catena), who would later embrace an experimental form of doom metal with his solo project, Paul Chain Violet Theatre. The band combined elements of horror, occultism and heavy metal to become a pioneer in horror metal and black metal; the musical style is called “horror music” by the band. Sylvester left the band in 1982 and Chain replaced him with Sanctis Ghoram (featured on the Evil Metal EP) before closing the project in 1984 to start his solo career. Sylvester reformed the band in 1988 (with him being the only original member). This new incarnation of the band recorded their first full-length album, ...in Death of Steve Sylvester. There would be many line-up changes in the years to come, with Sylvester once again being the only constant.
The album Panic was partially recorded in the USA, with Neil Kernon as a producer, because the band liked his work for artists like Queensrÿche, Judas Priest, Dokken, Nevermore, David Bowie, Rush and Skrew and had, according to Sylvester, “a particular touch in the dark side of Heavy Metal […] that we were looking for”. The band's management contacted Kernon, who accepted after listening to the band's demos of the new songs. The album was released in 2000 by Sylvester's own label, Lucifer Rising, and Dream Catcher.
- Current members
- Steve Sylvester - lead vocals (1977-1982, 1988-2008, 2012-present)
- Bozo Wolff - drums (2012–present)
- Glenn Strange - bass, backing vocals (2005-2008, 2012–present)
- Al De Noble - guitar, backing vocals (2007-2008, 2012–present)
- Freddy Delirio - keyboards, synthesizers, backing vocals (1994-1996, 2005-2008, 2012-present)
- Former members
- ...in Death of Steve Sylvester (Discomagic/Metalmaster 1988)
- Black Mass (Discomagic/Metalmaster 1989)
- Heavy Demons (Contempo/Rosemary's Baby 1991)
- Do What Thou Wilt (Lucifer Rising 1997)
- Panic (Lucifer Rising 2000)
- Humanomalies (Lucifer Rising 2002)
- The Seventh Seal (Lucifer Rising/Black Widow Records 2006)
- Resurrection (Lucifer Rising 2013)
- Rock 'n' Roll Armageddon (Lucifer Rising 2018)
- The Cursed Concert (Contempo 1992)
- Il ritorno degli occulti (200 copies, Cursed Coven 1998)
- Live 1990: The Complete Black Mass Show (200 copies, Cursed Coven 2006)
- Live at I-Gods of Metal 2008 (CD/DVD, Live Global/Self 2009)
- Evil Metal EP (Metal Eye Records 1983)
- "Kings of Evil" (Metalmaster 1989)
- "Vampire" (Metalmaster 1989)
- "In the Darkness" (Metalmaster 1989)
- Where Have You Gone? EP (Contempo 1991)
- Straight to Hell EP (Contempo 1993)
- The Cursed Singles boxset (Avantgarde Music 1995)
- "Baron Samedi" (Lucifer Rising 1998)
- "Scarlet Woman" (Lucifer Rising 1999)
- "Hi-Tech Jesus" (Lucifer Rising 2000)
- Lady of Babylon EP (Lucifer Rising 2000)
- Let The Sabbath Begin 2 CD EP (Lucifer Rising 2001)
- Transylvania (Lucifer Rising 2001)
- "Pain" (Lucifer Rising 2003)
- "Sinful Dove" (Lucifer Rising 2004)
- "Give'Em Hell" (Lucifer Rising 2005)
- The Darkest Night EP (Lucifer Rising 2013)
- The Story of Death SS. 1977–1984 (Minotauro 1987)
- Horror Music (Lucifer Rising 1996)
- The Horned God of Witches (Lucifer Rising/Black Widow Records 2004)
- Steve Sylvester - Friends of Hell (Cursed Coven 2006)
- The Story of Death SS. 1977–1984 - Part Two (2008)
- All the Colors of the Dark (2011)
- Yiva Asker: Death SS. In: Jon Kristiansen: Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries. Brooklyn, NY: Bazillion Points Books 2011, p. 472ff.
- All Music Guide to the band
- Emperor. In: Jon Kristiansen: Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries. Brooklyn, NY: Bazillion Points Books 2011, p. 274.
- Jean: Death SS.
- "Album – Classifica settimanale WK 37 (dal 2018-09-07 al 2018-09-13)" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Interview of a Nameless Ghoul by Loudwire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XURdcV4ELcM