Death in Sarajevo
|Death in Sarajevo|
|Directed by||Danis Tanović|
|Written by||Danis Tanović|
|Music by||Mirza Tahirovic|
|Edited by||Redzinald Simek|
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
Death in Sarajevo (Bosnian: Smrt u Sarajevu) is a 2016 Bosnian drama film directed by Danis Tanović. It was selected to compete for the Golden Bear at the 66th Berlin International Film Festival. At Berlin it won the Jury Grand Prix, as well as FIPRESCI prize for films shown in competition. It was selected as the Bosnian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards but it was not nominated.
- Snežana Marković as Lamija
- Izudin Bajrović as Omer
- Vedrana Seksan as Vedrana
- Muhamed Hadžović as Gavrilo
- Faketa Salihbegović as Hatidza
- Edin Avdagić Koja as Edo
- Jacques Weber as Jacques
- Aleksandar Seksan as Enco
The film received mixed reviews. Jay Weissberg praised the film in Variety as an "expertly modulated choral drama". Stephen Dalton writing for The Hollywood Reporter gave a negative review, noting, "The take-home message that historical narratives are always complex and contentious, especially in the Balkans, is unquestionably true but hardly a profound insight. Not quite a political thriller, not quite a provocative drama, not quite an inspired stage adaptation, Death in Sarajevo is a minor addition to Tanovic's illustrious body of work."
- List of submissions to the 89th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Bosnian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Death in Sarajevo". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Jan 11, 2016: Berlinale Competition 2016: Another nine films selected". Berlinale. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Berlin Film Festival Adds Nine Films to Competition Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Prizes of the International Jury". Berlinale. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Berlin's FIPRESCI Prize goes to Death in Sarajevo". Cineuropa. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Film "Smrt u Sarajevu" Danisa Tanovića bh. kandidat za nagradu Oscar". klix. 31 August 2016. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Holdsworth, Nick (31 August 2016). "Oscars: Bosnia Selects 'Death in Sarajevo' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Barnes, Henry (February 16, 2016). "Death in Sarajevo review". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- D'Arcy, David (February 15, 2016). "'Death In Sarajevo': Review". Screen Daily. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Weissberg, Jay (February 15, 2016). "Film Review: 'Death in Sarajevo'". Variety. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Dalton, Stephen (February 16, 2016). "'Death in Sarajevo' ('Smrt u Sarajevu'): Berlin Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "Death in Sarajevo (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 26 December 2017.