Death of a Centerfold: The Dorothy Stratten Story
|Death of a Centerfold: The Dorothy Stratten Story|
Jamie Lee Curtis as Dorothy Stratten
|Written by||Donald L. Stewart|
|Directed by||Gabrielle Beaumont|
|Starring||Jamie Lee Curtis
|Theme music composer||Roger Webb|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Larry Wilcox|
|Running time||100 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Wilcox Productions
|Original release||November 1, 1981|
Death of a Centerfold: The Dorothy Stratten Story is a 1981 American made-for-television biographical film directed by Gabrielle Beaumont. It is a true dramatization of the life and the murder of Playboy Playmate of the Year Dorothy Stratten, played by Jamie Lee Curtis. The movie was aired on NBC on November 1, 1981. Two years later the same story was developed by director Bob Fosse in his movie Star 80, starring Mariel Hemingway and Eric Roberts.
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Dorothy Stratten
- Bruce Weitz as Paul Snider
- Robert Reed as David Palmer
- Mitchell Ryan as Hugh Hefner
- Bibi Besch as Hilda Flushing
- Tracy Reed as Mindy
- Gloria Gifford as Jean
- Hugh Gillin as Max Halloran
- Luca Bercovici as Pooch
- Kale Browne as Sidney
- Mark Withers as Billy Compton
The New York Times critic John J. O'Connor praised the movie, saying: "the movie works remarkably well in building a dramatic momentum. Jamie Lee Curtis's Dorothy is a thoroughly understandable, if not sympathetic figure. And Bruce Weitz is extraordinary". People magazine also praised the film, saying: "Jamie Lee Curtis is just right as Stratten, and Bruce Weitz is a standout as her ex". Movie critic Leonard Maltin described the film as "exploitative".
Death of a Centerfold: The Dorothy Stratten Story aired on NBC and finished 27th in the Neilsen ratings. When the film was broadcast a second time on NBC in the summer of 1983, it fared better by finishing 4th in the ratings.
- Maltin, Leonard (1997). Leonard Maltin's 1998 Movie and Video Guide. Signet Books. p. 322. ISBN 0-451-19288-5.
- Peter Bogdanovich (1984). The killing of the unicorn: Dorothy Stratten (1960-1980). W. Morrow. p. 169. ISBN 0-688-01611-1.
- John J. O'Connor (October 30, 1981). "TV WEEKEND; TERROR IN FICTION AND FACT". New York Times. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- People November 2, 1981 Vol. 16 No. 18 page 6 "Picks & Pans Tube"