|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Labels||Norma Evangelium Diaboli
End All Life
Season of Mist
Deathspell Omega is a French black metal band. Their lyrical content deals primarily with Satanism on a metaphysical level – as the band has stated that "all other interpretations of Satan are intellectually invalid" – and other various theological topics. They have recently completed a series of three concept albums which focus on the theological aspects of God, Satan and man's relationship with the two. Some of their lyrical inspiration revolved around existentialist themes coming from the post-surrealist Georges Bataille, Friedrich Nietzsche and the German idealist Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
Initially, Deathspell Omega produced raw, traditional black metal akin to Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger. However, their 2004 release, Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice, marked a change to a vastly more technical, experimental, and well-recorded sound featuring such musical influences as Russian Orthodox chanting and choral music.
The band's work after Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice has been even more experimental and technical, with the 5 tracks they released in 2005 – on Kénôse and a pair of splits (the material from the latter of which was later reissued as the Mass Grave Aesthetics and Diabolus Absconditus EPs) – totaling nearly eighty minutes in length and actually exceeding the length of Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice. The second volume of the band's trilogy, Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum, was released on July 16, 2007, outside the United States, and the following day within the United States, to considerable acclaim. The band released another EP in January 2009, entitled Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum: Chaining the Katechon. The final album in the trilogy, Paracletus, was released by Norma Evangelium Diaboli and Season of Mist on November 9, 2010. The band's final work related to the trilogy, titled Drought, was released on June 22, 2012.
Very little is known about the members of Deathspell Omega, as the band does not have an official website and does not release information about their membership. However, they have given interviews over the years that explain more about their beliefs and ideology.
- Infernal Battles (2000)
- Inquisitors of Satan (2002)
- Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice (2004)
- Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum (2007)
- Paracletus (2010)
- Manifestations 2000–2001 (2008, collection of material originally released on LP on the splits with Moonblood and Mütiilation and the Black Metal Blitzkrieg compilation)
- Manifestations 2002 (2008, eight previously unreleased tracks, initially written for the Crushing the Holy Trinity compilation and a planned split with Cantus Bestiae)
- Kénôse (2005)
- Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum: Chaining the Katechon (2008), freestanding release of the band's contribution to the split album with S.V.E.S.T.
- Mass Grave Aesthetics (2008), originally released in 2005 on the 'From the Entrails to the Dirt' split.
- Diabolus Absconditus (2011), originally released in 2005 on the 'Crushing the Holy Trinity' split.
- Drought (2012)
- Clandestine Blaze / Deathspell Omega – Split (2001)
- Sob A Lua Do Bode / Demoniac Vengeance (2001, split LP with Moonblood)
- Split with Mütiilation (2002)
- From the Entrails to the Dirt (Part III) (2005, split LP with Malicious Secrets)
- Crushing the Holy Trinity (Part I: Father) (2005, V/A LP with Stabat Mater, Clandestine Blaze, Musta Surma, Mgła, and Exordium)
- Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum (2008, split EP with S.V.E.S.T.)
- Disciples of the Ultimate Void (1999, entire release is included as the final four tracks of the band's first album, Infernal Battles)
- "Black Crushing Sorcery" on Black Metal Blitzkrieg (2001, End All Life Productions)
- Untitled 5LP vinyl box (2009): includes Infernal Battles, Inquisitors of Satan, Manifestations 2000-2001, Manifestations 2002, and the band's side of the split with Clandestine Blaze.
- Untitled 7LP vinyl box (2012): includes Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice, Kénôse, Diabolus Absconditus, Mass Grave Aesthetics, Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum, Chaining the Katechon, Paracletus, and Drought
- "Interview with Deathspell Omega". Kccricket.net. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Is Black Metal Coming of Age?". Chronicles of Chaos. December 18, 2006. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "An Inquiry into the History and Evolution of Metaphysical Satanism in Black Metal". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- "Fas -- Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum". Allmusic. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "No. 2 on Brandon Stosuy's Best of 2007". Show No Mercy. Pitchfork Media. November 28, 2007. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "Paracletus' release date announced". Season of Mist. September 2, 2010. Retrieved September 4, 2010.
- "Drought's release date announced". Norma Evangelium Diaboli. May 25, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2012.