|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Debashis Chatterjee, currently the Director General of International Management Institute, New Delhi has also served as the Director of Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode from 2009-2014. He has previously held teaching positions at IIM Calcutta and IIM Lucknow. He served as Dean (International Relations) at IIM Lucknow. He founded the Center for Leadership and Human Values at IIM Lucknow. Chatterjee was a Fulbright Fellow at Harvard University and MIT. He was recently a Visiting Fulbright Professor at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government. He has been an invited speaker in universities and institutions in six continents including the Said School of Business, Oxford University and University of McMaster in Canada and University of Natal in South Africa. He also taught MBA programs at the University of St. Thomas, Minnesota and at the Harvard Graduate School of Business. Chatterjee was formerly the Dean, Leadership Centre, S.P. Jain Centre of Management, Singapore.
Chatterjee's work is primarily focused in education.He has given India's premiere institution, IIM, a socially sensitive, gender friendly and innovative face. He has done pioneering work by personally training more than eleven thousand K-12 school teachers from underprivileged schools. His published work in the field of leadership has been critically acclaimed by eminent Professors of Harvard, MIT and Yale. He has made world class research contribution in the converging space of spirituality and leadership. Some of the significant milestones of his contribution to education and literature are:
- Pioneering the thrust for gender diversity in management institutions by admitting more than 50% women in the IIM Kozhikode's MBA class.
- Setting up the first ever Indian Business Museum with contributions from top 100 Indian business houses and public institutions such as ISRO and RBI.
- Setting up the Yale University – IIM Kozhikode Centre for Excellence in Academic Leadership (CEEAL) as part of the Singh-Obama initiative.
- His Leading Schools Workshop has been attended by more than 11,000 school teachers and principals across India.
- He has served as a member of the Government of India Committee that has appointed the first woman to head SBI in 2013 and has served as a leadership resource person for the Chairman, Tata Group and the entire Cabinet of the Kerala Government including the Chief Minister of Kerala.
- Setting up two Centres of Excellence: Management Centre for Human Values in IIM Kolkata (1993-1996) and Centre for Leadership and Human Values in IIM Lucknow (2000-2007)
- Awarded the Best National Faculty Award, Rotary International and Rotary For the Sake of Honour Award (2012, Leading Director Award (CSR) and the University Gold Medal.
- Debashis Chatterjee's teaching career spans 20 years in six continents. He has been awarded the prestigious Fulvright Fellowship twice for Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral work at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. His published books include Leading Consciously(Foreword by Peter.M.Senge),Break Free(Penguin),the other 99%(Jaico), Timeless Leadership(Wiley), Leadership Sutras(Elsevier), Circle Of Love(Rupa),Light the Fire in Your Heart(Full Circle), Kaun Banega Narayanamurthy(Mathrubhumi books, in Malayalam), Conversations on Leaderships(Foreword by Warren Bennis, Jossey-Bass), Enciende el fuego en tu Corazon(University del Azuay, Spanish Edition), El Liderazgo Consciente: Un Peredrinaje Hacia el Autocontrol (Spanish Edition), Liderance Consciente(Portuguese Edition),The Class Act and India 2047.
Chatterjee has published more than 500 publications, monographs and articles in addition to his books. He has also written columns for the Times of India, the Economic Times and other international periodicals.
Chatterjee D. (2016) Invincible Arjuna, Westland Chatterjee, D. (2016) What's Changed, 25 Years of Liberalized India (Contributing Author), Random House India Chatterjee, D. (2014), Can You Teach a Zebra Algebra, Wisdom Tree.
- Chatterjee, D. (2012) Timeless Leadership. Wiley-India Edition.
- Chatterjee, D. (2011) The Other 99%. Jaico Publishing House.
- Chatterjee, D. (2010) Conversations on Leadership. Jossey-Bass.
- Chatterjee, D. (2010) Asian Leadership. Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Chatterjee, D. (2005) Circle of Love. Rupa Publications, New Delhi.
- Chatterjee, D. (2006) Break Free. Penguin Publication, New Delhi.
- Chatterjee, D. (2004) Chingari Ka Chamatkar. Full Circle, New Delhi.
- Chatterjee, D. (2003) Enciende el fuego en to corazon. Universidad del Azuay and FundacionWaaponi.
- Chatterjee, D. (2003) Light the Fire In Your Heart. Full Circle, New Delhi.
- Chatterjee, D. (2002) Really Leading: Leadership That is Authentic Conscious and Effective in Business The Ultimate Resource, Bloomsbury Publishing, Cambridge.
- Chatterjee, D. (2001) El Liderazgo Consciente. Granica, Barcelona.
- Chatterjee, D. (1998) Lideranca Consciente. Cultrix, São Paulo.
- Chatterjee, D. (1998) Leading Consciously. (Butterworth Heinemann, USA.)
- Chatterjee, D. (1994) Managing Transition. (ed). Wiley Eastern Limited.
- Chatterjee's personal website
- IIM-K Dr. Chatterjee's Faculty page at the Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
- "IIM-Kozhikode admits close to 200 women, about 50% in 2013-15 batch - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- Our Bureau (2013-03-22). "Biz museum at IIM-K to open today | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "IIMK, Yale in tie-up for leadership programme". Business Standard. 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- IANS (2013-10-07). "Arundhati Bhattacharya, first woman to head SBI". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Kerala CM Oommen Chandy takes his ministry to IIM Kozhikode to turn them into high performers, more programmes needed for politicians - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-05.