This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
April 9, 1969 |
Southfield, Michigan, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan
University of Wisconsin–Madison
|Occupation||Attorney, blogger, pundit, writer|
Debbie Schlussel (born April 9, 1969) is an American attorney, author, political commentator, movie critic, and blogger. She has been published in the New York Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Times, and The Jerusalem Post, among others.
Schlussel writes movie reviews and commentary regarding pop culture, politics, Islamic terrorism, American Muslims, illegal immigration, news, and sports. She has also frequently appeared on The Howard Stern Show and on cable news.
Early life and political career
Schlussel was born in Detroit, Michigan to a family of Polish Jewish descent. She received a BA from the University of Michigan and later earned a JD and MBA from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. In 1990, Schlussel ran for the Republican nomination for the 4th District (Oakland County) of the Michigan House of Representatives. She was defeated by Barbara Dobb by a single vote from around 8500 cast.
Schlussel claimed voter fraud led to her defeat, making allegations of impropriety against the family of her opponent and the judge who ruled on the issue. The judge previously represented her opponent in a criminal matter. In 1998, she lost in the same district (now renamed the 39th) against Marc Shulman.
Professional life and views
Schlussel is a member of the Detroit Film Critics Society, who reviews films for both radio and her web site. She is the official movie critic of The Larry The Cable Guy Show on Jeff & Larry's Comedy RoundUp Channel/Great American Comedy XL Channel on SiriusXM.
The New York Times described her in 2010 as, "a kind of all-purpose film critic, political commentator and Web opinion spinner." Her columns (mainly about politics) have been published in the New York Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Times, and The Jerusalem Post, amongst others. She was a talk show host at radio station WXYT-FM, then known as WKRK, in Detroit from 2002-03.
Muslims and Islam
In September 2003, a New York Post column by Schlussel exposed an upcoming FBI award to Imad Hamad, a former Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) terrorist. As a result of the column, Hamad's FBI award was revoked.
In July 2007, Robert Mustaq John, a Muslim immigrant and resident of the Bronx, New York, was sentenced to four months in federal prison for sending Schlussel an anti-Semitic death threat featuring a picture of Daniel Pearl being beheaded and telling Schlussel she would be next. John pleaded guilty in the case, United States of America v. Robert Mustaq John, Case No. and Docket No. 06-CR-854, but Schlussel stated that the sentence by Judge Azrack was inappropriately lenient.
On May 7, 2008, Mohamad Fouad Abdallah, a resident of Dearborn Heights, Michigan, pleaded guilty in United States Federal Court to sending Schlussel anti-Semitic death, rape, and torture threats in the name of Hezbollah. He admitted in his plea agreement to sending Schlussel the obscene e-mail messages because she is Jewish. He was sentenced to eight months in federal prison (Abdallah, Case Number 2:08-cr-20223)
William Youmans[who?] (then a PhD student) described Schussel as a "leading right-wing observer of AD [Arab Detroit, whose] blogging, articles, and op-eds inform other right-wing activists, who mobilize against government-community relations when they seem too cozy. This group has called for greater scrutiny of Arab and Muslim Americans by government officials, and officials they consider pro-Arab are frequent targets of their protests. Consistently, Schlussel and her allies have sought to expose the 'true nature' of Detroit's Arab Americans as potential terrorists."
In 2005, she wrote an editorial in the Wall Street Journal accusing Morgan Spurlock (who produced the documentary series 30 Days and film Super Size Me) of unbalanced and faulty methods in preparing a documentary about Islam.
In 2005, Schlussel opined that "WNBA players are bad role models for young girls", citing as one example Anna DeForge, who is a lesbian. She was criticized for these statements by player Kayte Christensen in a column in the Arizona Republic.
During and following the 2006 captivity of American journalist Jill Carroll in Iraq, Schlussel said that Carroll hated Israel and the U.S. When objections were raised, she responded to her critics as "blind worshippers of Jill Carroll" in need of "LASIK".
In 2007, she stated that atheists are intolerant of Christians, and that American Muslims are no more moderate than those in the Middle East; that blog post of hers was read aloud on The Rush Limbaugh Show.
"As I've repeatedly said before, American Muslims are NO different than Muslims on the streets of Riyadh, Cairo, Benghazi, and Bint Jbeil. They are just as extreme, and the American border is a fiction of convenience for them, NOT something that magically moderates them."
On May 30, 2012, Schlussel wrote a blog post commenting about a speech by President Barack Obama, in which he mistakenly used the phrase "Polish death camps" referring to the German death camps in occupied Poland. She said Obama owed no apology for his remark, and she criticized ...
the feigned shock and fake moralizing over his comments, yesterday, about German Nazi death camps in Poland being a Polish death camp...Poles murdered millions of Jews, they maintained several death camps, and they wiped out almost all of both sides of my family, as well as those in hundreds of thousands of other Jewish families. This wasn't just the Nazis. It was tens of thousands of eager Poles and more.
In addition to discussing Polish collaboration with the Nazis, she said that a "majority were all too happy for the Judenrein". She discounted the Polish Righteous Among the Nations by stating that only a "very tiny few" gentile Poles aided the Jews. Her commentary provoked protest in Poland. The chairman of the Polish Parliament's Foreign Affairs Commission, Grzegorz Schetyna, called her commentary a pack of lies.
- Gizzi, John. "Back from a one-vote loss", Human Events (July 31, 1998).
- Schlussel, Debbie. "Jayson Blair in a Skirt: Detroit Free Press "Reporter" Fabricates Story", debbieschlussel.com (December 12, 2005).
- Cieply, Michael.“A Movie Critic Loses Her Screening Privileges (But Gets ‘Em Back)”, The New York Times, November 21, 2010.
See also Cieply, Michael. “Studio Returns a Critic's Movie Pass”, The New York Times (November 22, 2010).
- DebbieSchlussel.com. “Schlussel Debuts on Larry the Cable Guy Show on SiriusXM Friday Morning”, November 20, 2015.
- Cieply, Michael. “Much Movie Title Meshugas”, The New York Times, May 3, 2010.
- Neville, Arthel. “Saudi Arabia Friend or Foe?; Who Should Get Sniper Reward Money?”, CNN, November 26, 2002.
- “Schlussel Stops FBI Award to Terrorist Supporter – The Column That Started It All…”, debbieschlussel.com, September 18, 2003.
- “FBI denies service award, claims recipient holds ties to terrorism”, michigandaily.com, October 9, 2003.
- “Justice For Muslims v. Justice for You: Federal Judge Azrack Goes Soft on Robert Mustaq John", debbieschlussel.com, August 2, 2007.
- “Dearborn Muslim Hezbo Pleads Guilty in to Sending Schlussel Anti-Semitic Death/Rape Threats...”, debbieschlussel.com, July 9, 2008.
- "William Lafi Youmans website". williamlafiyoumans.com. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Youmans, William. “Domestic Foreign Policy: Arab Detroit as a Special Place in the War on Terror” in Arab Detroit 9/11: Life in the Terror Decade, p. 272 (Abraham Nabeel et al., eds., Wayne State University Press, 2011). See also id. at 23, 97, 101, 276, 279–81, 336, 371, 373.
- "Untraceable E-mails Spread Obama Rumor", CBS News, October 15, 2007.
- Schlussel, Debbie. “Bush’s Scary CAIR Friends”, WorldNetDaily (October 16, 2001).
- Muslim civil rights group sues critic Debbie Schlussel for fake CAIR Michigan website, Associated Press, January 6, 2011.
- Ashenfelter, David. “Blogger Schlussel renames organization after CAIR lawsuit”, Detroit Free Press, January 11, 2011.
- Schlussel, Debbie (June 24, 2005). "Unreal for 30 Days: A "documentary" on Islam tells a preconceived story". OpinionJournal.com. Archived from the original on March 24, 2006. Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- Balko, Radley (August 16, 2005). "Spurlock Food Scare a Super Size Scam". Fox News. Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- Schlussel, Debbie. "Lesbian Basketball, Season 9 vs. the Indy Chick", debbieschlussel.com, June 2, 2005.
- Christensen, Kayte (June 21, 2005). "Want models? Role models? WNBA embodies female athlete". Arizona Republic. Retrieved August 26, 2007.
- Terry, Mike. “Whitmore Becomes a Better Fit”, The Los Angeles Times, June 25, 2005.
- Schlussel, Debbie (January 18, 2006). "SICK: Jordan Times on Jill Carroll & Who Deserves Beheading". debbieschlussel.com. Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- Schlussel, Debbie (March 30, 2006). "So, Anti-American Jill Carroll was Freed..." debbieschlussel.com. Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- Geraghty, Jim. “Jill Carroll and the Blogosphere”, National Review, April 1, 2006.
- Geraghty, Jim (April 7, 2006). "Outside Voices: Jim Geraghty Looks At Where Blogosphere Has Succeeded, And Where It's Fallen Short". op-ed. CBS News. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Schlussel, Debbie (April 2, 2006). "Premature Articulation: The REAL Jill Carroll for Jimmy Carter Geraghty and Others w/Reading Comprehension Deficiencies". debbieschlussel.com. Retrieved January 19, 2007.
- ”Senator Joe Biden Under Fire Over Controversial Remarks; Has NFL Moved Beyond Racist Past?”, Paula Zahn Now, CNN, January 31, 2007.
- Schlussel, Debbie (February 7, 2007). "When Atheists a/k/a Future Muslims Attack". debbieschlussel.com. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- Schlussel, Debbie. "Meet Your 'Moderate', 'American' Muslim Neighbors: New Study Shows U.S. Muslims Are Extremists", debbieschlussel.com, May 23, 2007.
- Grewal, Zareena. Islam Is a Foreign Country: American Muslims and the Global Crisis of Authority, p. 357 (NYU Press 2013).
- Norton, Anne. On the Muslim Question, pg. 69 (Princeton University Press 2013).
- Schlussel, Debbie. "WHOA: Osama Bin Laden Dead, But Won’t Make Much Diff Amid Growing Islamic Threat to West", debbieschlussel.com, May 1, 2011.
- Lemons, Stephen (May 1, 2011). "Osama bin Laden Dead: Debbie Schlussel Calls for Killing 1.8 Billion Muslims; Let the Crackpot Raving Begin!". Phoenix New Times.
- "Our "Moderate" Muslim Neighbors: Jihadist Outs US Muslim Terrorists, NY Daily News Redacts Names". debbieschlussel.com. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Steinback, Robert. The Anti-Muslim Inner Circle, Intelligence Report, Summer 2011, Issue Number: 142, Southern Poverty Law Center; accessed May 26, 2017.
- Ernst, Carl. Islamophobia in America: The Anatomy of Intolerance, p. 73 (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- Schlussel, Debbie (May 30, 2012). "Poles Were Complicit in Holocaust: Outrage Over Obama "Gaffe" is Fraudulent, Ignorant". Debbieschlussel.com. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "White House shrugs off Polish apology demands", AFP (May 30, 2012).
- "Poland welcomes Obama letter on 'death camp' error", Reuters, June 1, 2012.
- "A collective letter – also in English – addressed to the extremely unprofessional American journalist Debbie Schlussel, including an email" (in Polish). Retrieved July 7, 2012.
- Schetyna, Grzegorz (July 6, 2012). "Gość Radia Zet". Radio Zet (Interview) (in Polish). Interview with Monika Olejnik. Warsaw. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- IPN (2012). "Przegląd mediów – 6 czerwca 2012" [Media review, June 6, 2012]. ipn.gov.pl (in Polish). Institute of National Remembrance. Archived from the original on March 2, 2014. Retrieved July 9, 2012.