|Education||B.A., Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, Masters in Public Health Education, Indiana University, PhD in Health Behavior, Indiana University|
|Occupation||Author, research scientist, educator, blogger, sex advice columnist, professor and human sexuality expert in media, Director of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion in the School of Public Health-Bloomington at Indiana University|
Debby Herbenick (// her-BEN-ik)) is an American author, research scientist, sex educator, sex advice columnist, children's book author, blogger, television personality, professor, and human sexuality expert in the media. Dr. Herbenick is a professor at the Indiana University School of Public Health and lead investigator of the National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior (NSSHB), which TIME Magazine called "the most comprehensive survey of its kind in nearly two decades."
Herbenick served as president of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) from 2016-2018 and is an AASECT-certified sexuality educator. She is also a recipient of Indiana University's 2018 Outstanding Faculty Collaborative Research Award and was honored in 2018 as a Fellow of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality. Additionally, she is co-producer on the Emmy-nominated documentary Hot Girls Wanted.
Herbenick has published more than 130 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and is one of the leading experts on the study of sexual behavior in the United States. She has published research related to sexuality in the pregnancy/postpartum period, vulvar health, genital self-image, women's and men's sexual behavior,Herbenick, Debby; Reece, Michael; Schick, Vanessa; Sanders, Stephanie A.; Dodge, Brian; Fortenberry, J. Dennis (2010). "Sexual Behaviors, Relationships, and Perceived Health Status Among Adult Women in the United States: Results from a National Probability Sample". The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 7: 277–290. doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02010.x. - also known as the coregasm, condoms, lubricants, and sexual enhancement products. Herbenick has spoken on these and other sexuality and relationship topics at a number of colleges, universities, and national and international conferences. She regularly teaches research and human sexuality classes at Indiana University.
Herbenick leads the National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior, an award-winning U.S. nationally representative probability study of sex in the United States, with multiple waves conducted from 2009 to 2018. She is the Director of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion in the School of Public Health-Bloomington at Indiana University in Bloomington.
Herbenick has authored or co-authored several books. These include Because It Feels Good: A Woman’s Guide to Sexual Pleasure and Satisfaction, The I Love You More Book (a book about love for children and grown ups), Read My Lips: A Complete Guide to the Vagina and Vulva, Great in Bed, Sex Made Easy: Your Awkward Questions Answered for Better, Smarter, Safer Sex, and The Coregasm Workout .
Magazines, Television, and Other Media
Herbenick frequently addresses sexuality research in the media for publications such as the New York Times, The Atlantic, The Washington Post, among other magazines and newspapers. From 2005 through 2012, Herbenick wrote a weekly sex advice column for Time Out Chicago and, for more than a decade (starting in 2003), wrote sex columns and blogs for Men's Health magazine. Also, Herbenick appeared as an expert in relationships and human sexuality on The Today Show, Katie Couric's television show Katie, on various PBS specials, on The Tyra Banks Show and on The Doctors, and on one occasion taught about the vulva by using a vulva puppet on Tyra. This clip resulted in millions of views on YouTube and also aired on The Soup and Best Week Ever. Dr. Herbenick, her colleague, and their research have also been profiled on an episode of the Discovery Channel's Curiosity (TV series). In 2013, Dr. Herbenick launched a successful Kickstarter project to create a poster and postcard series called "What do you like about your vagina and vulva?"  Additionally, from 2001 to 2018 she wrote the newspaper columns and later hosted the audio podcasts of Kinsey Confidential for the Kinsey Institute.
The blog MySexProfessor.com was run by Dr. Herbenick from 2007 to 2014 and featured science-based information about sexuality. She is the founder of the Bloomington Sex Salon, an event series in Bloomington, Indiana, and the Make Sex Normal project, which she launched with a highly viewed TEDx talk in 2013.
- Kristine Thomason (March 22, 2016). "Yes, You Can Have an Orgasm While Working Out". Health magazine. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
... orgasms during exercise ... study published in the journal Sexual and Relationship Therapy back in 2011 ....
- "Spotlight on Women's Health". Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Debby Herbenick - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- PhD, Debby Herbenick (2011-10-31). The I Love You More Book. Rosalie Orlando Hatch (1st ed.). Decorah, IA: StoryPeople Press. ISBN 9781937137991.
- "Debra Herbenick: Faculty: School of Public Health: Indiana University Bloomington". info.publichealth.indiana.edu. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "Applied Health Science: Faculty Directory: School of Public Health: Indiana University Bloomington". info.publichealth.indiana.edu. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "5 Little-Known Truths About American Sex Lives". Time. ISSN 0040-781X. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "About | AASECT:: American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists".
- Bryant, Lauren (2018-11-02). "Sexuality in America study receives award for collaborative research". News at IU. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Fellows of the Society". sexscience.org. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Debby Herbenick". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- Hot Girls Wanted, retrieved 2018-12-14
- "Debby Herbenick, PhD, MPH, CSE - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Get That Life: How I Became a Sex Researcher at the Kinsey Institute". 2014-10-20.
- Herbenick, Debra; Schick, Vanessa; Reece, Michael; Sanders, Stephanie; Dodge, Brian; Fortenberry, J. Dennis (2010-11-02). "The Female Genital Self-Image Scale (FGSIS): Results from a Nationally Representative Probability Sample of Women in the United States". The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 8 (1): 158–166. doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02071.x. PMID 21044269.
- Herbenick, Debby; Reece, Michael; Schick, Vanessa; Sanders, Stephanie A.; Dodge, Brian; Fortenberry, J. Dennis (2010-10-04). "Sexual Behavior in the United States: Results from a National Probability Sample of Men and Women Ages 14–94 - Herbenick". The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 7: 255–265. doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02012.x. PMID 21029383.
- Herbenick, Debby; Fortenberry, J. Dennis (2011). "Exercise-induced orgasm and pleasure among women". Sexual and Relationship Therapy. 26 (4): 373–388. doi:10.1080/14681994.2011.647902.
- Reece, M.; Herbenick, D.; Sanders, S. A.; Monahan, P.; Temkit, M.; Yarber, W. L. (2008). "Breakage, slippage and acceptability outcomes of a condom fitted to penile dimensions". Sexually Transmitted Infections. 84 (2): 143–149. doi:10.1136/sti.2007.028316. PMID 17971373. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Herbenick, Debra; Reece, Michael; Hensel, Devon; Sanders, Stephanie; Jozkowski, Kristen; Fortenberry, J. Dennis (2011). "Association of Lubricant Use with Women's Sexual Pleasure, Sexual Satisfaction, and Genital Symptoms: A Prospective Daily Diary Study - Herbenick". The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 8 (1): 202–212. doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02067.x. PMID 21143591.
- "Debby Herbenick - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "Sexuality in America focus for team receiving 2018 Outstanding Faculty Collaborative Research Award: News: News & Events: Center for Sexual Health Promotion: Indiana University Bloomington". Center for Sexual Health Promotion. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior". National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- Herbenick, Debby (2015-06-09). The Coregasm Workout: The Revolutionary Method for Better Sex Through Exercise. ISBN 978-1580055642.
- Klass, Perri; M.D (2018-12-10). "Why Is Children's Masturbation Such a Secret?". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- Damour, Lisa (2018-11-14). "Why Teenagers Mix Drinking and Sex". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- Jones, Maggie (2018-02-07). "What Teenagers Are Learning From Online Porn". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- Julian, Kate (December 2018). "Why Are Young People Having So Little Sex?". The Atlantic. ISSN 1072-7825. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Perspective | Americans are having less sex. And that's just fine". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Time Out Chicago Contact Page". 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "Questions for Sex Professor: Men's Health". 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "Beyond The Chocha: Tyra Banks Helpfully Reminds Us That Vaginas Are Like Snowflakes, Look Like Cuddly Sofa Cushions". 2010. Archived from the original on 2009-06-14. Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "kinseyconfidential.org". Archived from the original on 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- TEDx Talks (2013-05-05), Making sex normal | Debby Herbenick | TEDxBloomington, retrieved 2018-03-09