Debenham village sign
|Area||16.89 km2 (6.52 sq mi)|
|Population||2,210 (2011) inc Winston & Aspall|
|• Density||131/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Dialling code||01728 86|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Debenham is a village and civil parish located 11 miles (18 km) north of Ipswich in the Mid Suffolk district of Suffolk, England. The River Deben rises in the parish, and flows along a prolonged ford through the village.
In 1086, Debenham was a comparatively large village of 69 households in the hundred of Claydon.
Village amenities and facilities include a post office, library, pharmacy, doctors' surgery, osteopath, a police station and fire station, cafes, a supermarket, a newsagents, green grocers, butcher, baker, florist and antiques dealer, and hardware and pottery outlets. There is currently one pub, the Woolpack; though it is hoped the Angel and Red Lion will be reopening soon. St Mary's Arts Exhibition started in 1976 and runs each year during the summer. There is also a yearly fete on High Street.
Debenham High School first opened in 1964 on Gracechurch Street and caters for 650 pupils aged 11–16. Debenham also has a primary school, Sir Robert Hitcham CEVAP School, for ages 5–11 on School Corner.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- AA Book of British Villages. Drive Publications Limited. 1980. p. 143. ISBN 9780340254875.
- OS Explorer map 211: Bury St.Edmunds and Stowmarket Scale: 1:25 000. Publisher:Ordnance Survey – Southampton A2 edition. Publishing Date:2008. ISBN 978 0319240519
- "Fords in Suffolk". Wet Roads. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Open Domesday Online: Debenham
- Debenham Profile Archived 22 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine OCSI commissioned by Suffolk Acre 2007
- "Debenham (Parish, United Kingdom) - Population Statistics, Charts, Map and Location". www.citypopulation.de. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- Séguy, Philippe (29 April 2008). "Léa de Belgique: Il faut en finir avec le malheur". Point de Vue (in French): 18–21.
- Sullivan, Oliver (20 November 2020). "Hollywood comes to Suffolk for new thriller movie". Ipswich Star.
- "about our village » Debenham". debenham.onesuffolk.net. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "Home". St Mary's Art Exhibition. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "DEBENHAM LCFC". DEBENHAM LCFC. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "Sir Robert Hitcham CEVA Primary School - Home". www.sirroberthitcham.suffolk.sch.uk. Retrieved 16 July 2020.