|Original author(s)||Debian Project|
|Developer(s)||Debian Install System Team|
|Initial release||June 6, 2005|
9.7 (Stretch) / January 23, 2019
|Operating system||Microcosm of Debian, made of udebs. (Loading from Microsoft Windows is supported via win32-loader.)|
|Available in||87 languages|
Debian-Installer is an installation program designed for the Debian Linux distribution. It originally appeared in Debian release 3.1 (Sarge), released on June 6, 2005, although the first release of a Linux distribution it was used with was Skolelinux Venus (1.0). It is also one of two official installers available for Ubuntu; the other being called Ubiquity (itself based on parts of debian-installer) which was introduced in Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake).
Originally, it was only supported under text-mode and ncurses. A graphical front-end (using GTK+-DirectFB) was first introduced in Debian 4.0 (Etch). Since Debian 6.0 (Squeeze), it is used over Xorg instead of DirectFB.
debootstrap is software which allows installation of a Debian base system into a subdirectory of another, already installed operating system. It needs access to a Debian repository and doesn't require an installation CD. It can also be installed and run from another operating system or to create a "cross-debootstrapping", a rootfs for a machine of a different architecture, for instance, OpenRISC[clarification needed]. There is also a largely equivalent version written in C – cdebootstrap, which is used in debian-installer.
Debootstrap can be used to install Debian in a system without using an installation disk but can also be used to run a different Debian flavor in a chroot environment. This way it is possible to create a full (minimal) Debian installation which can be used for testing purposes, or for building packages in a "clean" environment (as e.g. pbuilder does).
- "Debian "stretch" Release Information". Debian. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 released". Debian. 2005-06-06. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "Debian "sarge" Release Information". Debian. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "First distribution ships with Debian-Installer". Debian. 2004-06-21. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "Debootstrap". Debian wiki.
- Svensson, Christian. "[Openrisc] Introducing: Debian for OpenRISC". Openrisc mailing list. OpenCores.org, equivalent to ORSoC AB. Archived from the original on 4 March 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "debootstrap". Debian man pages.