Deborah Louise McGuinness
|Alma mater||Duke University (BS)|
University of California at Berkeley (MS)
Rutgers University (PhD)
|Awards||Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2014)|
|Institutions||Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute|
|Thesis||Explaining reasoning in description logics (1996)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alexander Tiberiu Borgida|
Deborah Louise McGuinness (born ca. 1960) is an American computer scientist and Professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where she holds an endowed chair in the Tetherless World Research Constellation. She is working in the field of artificial intelligence, specifically in knowledge representation and reasoning, description logics, the semantic web, explanation, and trust.
McGuinness received a Bachelor of Science (BS) in math and computer science from Duke University. While working for AT&T Bell Labs at Murray Hill and, later, AT&T Labs Research at Florham Park, she completed a master's degree in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Rutgers University in 1996.
Career and research
Her work at AT&T Bell labs was focused in the Artificial Intelligence Research Department, with business rotations in Home Information Systems, Home Communication Systems and later ran an emerging technologies and applications group for AT&T's personal online services.
In October 2007 she became faculty at RPI, where she joined another well known semantic web expert, James Hendler on the Tetherless World Research Constellation. Today, the Constellation Chair team numbers 3 to include Peter Fox. While at RPI, McGuinness has taken research leadership roles in the design and development of multi-disciplinary health and environmental informatics platforms and applications.
In November, 2013, McGuinness was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. She was recognized by AAAS for outstanding contributions and leadership in the areas of ontologies, semantic web, eScience, open data, and semantic data resources.
In addition to her research activities she is also CEO and president of her own consulting firm for clients wishing to plan, develop, deploy, and maintain semantic web and/or AI applications. She serves on the board of the Semantic Web Science Foundation as well as a number of start-up companies.
McGuinness has worked in knowledge representation and reasoning environments, and their applications, for over 35 years including health applications for 20 years. She has led multimillion-dollar, government sponsored research efforts, many in multi-disciplinary areas, and has delivered long-lived software and world class publishable results in areas including creating, evolving, linking, and evaluating ontologies and data science in many areas of science, such as health, exposure, cancer, smoking, and drug re-purposing research.
McGuinness is known for her work on description logics, particularly her work on the CLASSIC knowledge representation system, explanation components for description logics, and a number of long-lived applications of description logics such as the PROSE and QUESTAR configurators from AT&T and Lucent Laboratories. She was integral in the creation of DARPA Agent Markup Language (DAML), and the KSL Wine Agent.
She is also well known in the field for co-authoring the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)'s recommendation for an Ontology Web Language (OWL) and provenance language (PROV) recommendations. She also started Stanford's explanation effort, called Inference Web, that aims to provide infrastructure for improving trust and understand-ability of answers in distributed environments, such as the web. She is co-author of the Proof Markup Language (PML) for representing knowledge provenance.
McGuinness continues to be involved in a variety of research relating to the semantic web, trustable systems and web integration platforms for portable devices.
Honors and awards
- Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow for contributions to the Semantic Web, knowledge representation, and reasoning environments, 2014
- Association for Artificial Intelligence Robert Engelmore Memorial Lecture Award for outstanding service to Artificial Intelligence and extraordinary contributions to applied AI, 2013
- Senior Constellation Chair, Tetherless World, RPI, 2007-pres
- Fellow, Web Science Research Initiative, 2007
- Founding Associate Editor, Earth Science Informatics, Springer
- Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence Deployed Application Award, 2007 (Virtual Observatory) and 2004 (General Motors Variation Reduction Advisor)
- 2004. The description logic handbook: theory, implementation, and applications. Cambridge University Press.
- 2002. "The Emerging Semantic Web." Isabel Cruz, Stefan Decker, Jerome Euzenat, and Deborah L. McGuinness, editors. IOS Press. (Available from http://www.iospress.nl/site/html/boek-1381825766.html.)
- 2014. "Health Web Science." Joanne S. Luciano, Grant P. Cumming. Eva Kahana, Mark D. Wilkinson, Elizabeth H Brooks, Dominick DiFranzo, Holly Jarman, Deborah L. McGuinness, Margaret Levine, Cathy Pope. Now Publishers Inc. Hanover, MA, USA.
Journals, a selection:
- He Zhao, Yixing Wang, Anqi Lin, Bingyin Hu, Rui Yan, James McCusker, Wei Chen, Deborah L. McGuinness, Linda Schadler, L. Catherine Brinson, NanoMine Schema: A Data Representation for Polymer Nanocomposites, APL Materials Vol 6 No. 11 (2018), pp. 111108–111108 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5046839.
- Troy Vargason, Deborah L. McGuinness, and Juergen Hahn. Gastrointestinal Symptoms and Oral Antibiotic Use in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Retrospective Analysis of a Privately Insured U.S. Population". Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. September 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10803-018-3743-2.
- Vargason, U. Kruger, D.L. McGuinness, J.B. Adams, E. Geis, E. Gehn, D. Coleman, and J. Hahn. Investigating Plasma Amino Acids for Differentiating Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Typically Developing Peers. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Volume 50, June 2018. pp 60–72. PubMed ID 29682004
- Troy Vargason, Daniel P. Howsmon, Deborah L. McGuinness. and Juergen Hahn. On the Use of Multivariate Methods for Analysis of Data from Biological Networks. Processes July 2017, 5(3), 36; doi:10.3390/pr5030036
- Noy, Natalya F., and Deborah L. McGuinness. "Ontology development 101: A guide to creating your first ontology." (2001).
- McGuinness, Deborah L., and Frank Van Harmelen. "OWL web ontology language overview." W3C recommendation 10.2004-03 (2004): 10.
- Bechhofer, Sean, et al. "OWL web ontology language reference." W3C recommendation 10 (2004): 2006-01.
Recent Conference Publications:
- Oshani Seneviratne, Sabbir Rashid, Shruthi Chari, Jim McCusker, Kristin Bennett, James Hendler and Deborah McGuinness. Knowledge Integration for Disease Characterization: A Breast Cancer Example. In Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, 2018.
- James McCusker, Sabbir Rashid, Nkechinyere Agu, Kristin Bennett and Deborah McGuinness. The Whyis Knowledge Graph Framework in Action. In Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, 2018.
- Paulo Pinheiro, Henrique Santos, Zhicheng Liang, Yue Liu, Sabbir Rashid, Deborah McGuinness and Marcello Bax. HADatAc: A Framework for Scientific Data Integration using Ontologies. In Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, 2018.
- Oshani Seneviratne, Sabbir Rashid, Shruthi Chari, Jim McCusker, Kristin Bennett, James Hendler and Deborah McGuinness. Ontology-enabled Breast Cancer Characterization. In Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, 2018.
- Yue Liu, Tongtao Zhang, Zhicheng Liang, Heng Ji, Deborah McGuinness. Seq2RDF: An end-to-end application for deriving Triples from Natural Language Text. In Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, 2018.
- Paulo Pinheiro, Marcello Peixoto Bax, Henrique Santos, Sabbir M. Rashid, Zhicheng Liang, Yue Liu, Yarden Ne'eman, James P. McCusker, Deborah L. McGuinness: Annotating Diverse Scientific Data With HAScO. ONTOBRAS 2018: pp. 80–91
- Deborah McGuinness publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Deborah McGuinness at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- RPI Press Release (2007). "Web Language and Artificial Intelligence Expert Joins Tetherless World Research Constellation". Archived from the original on 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- RPI Press Release (2013). "Rensselaer Professor Deborah L. McGuinness Named Fellow of the AAAS".
- "Deborah McGuinness". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- RPI Press Release (2007). "Web Language and Artificial Intelligence Expert Joins Tetherless World Research Constellation". Archived from the original on 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2007-10-14.[verification needed]