Debra Satz is an American philosopher and the Vernon R. & Lysbeth Warren Anderson Dean of the School of Humanities and Sciences at Stanford University. She is the Marta Sutton Weeks Professor of Ethics in Society, Professor of Philosophy and Political Science. She teaches courses in ethics, social and political philosophy, and philosophy of social science.
Her research has focused on the ethical limits of markets, the place of equality in political philosophy, theories of rational choice, democratic theory, feminist philosophy, and issues of international justice. She has had literature published in Philosophy and Public Affairs, Ethics, The Journal of Philosophy, and World Bank Economic Review.
Satz was named to the 2018 Class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Satz received the Walter J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching, Stanford’s highest teaching award, in 2004. The award cited her "extraordinary teaching that combines rigorous thought with serious engagement in the moral dilemmas facing humanity." She also co-founded and teaches in the Hope House Scholars Program, through which incarcerated women and volunteer faculty examine personal experience in the context of ethics, moral philosophy and social justice.
She earned a PhD in philosophy from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and a BA in philosophy from the City College of New York.
- Why Some Things Should Not Be for Sale: The Limits of Markets. Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Equality in Education and Weighted Student Funding ,Education, Finance and Policy, 2008.
- Equality, Adequacy and Education for Citizenship , Ethics, July 2007.
- Countering the Wrongs of the Past: the Role of Compensation, ed. Jon Miller and Rahul Kumar, Reparations: Interdisciplinary Inquiries. Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Liberalism, Economic Freedom and the Limits of Markets, Social Philosophy and Policy, 2006.
- World Poverty and Human Wrongs, Ethics and International Affairs, vol. 19, no. 1, Spring 2005.
- Feminist Perspectives on Reproduction and the Family, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2004.
- Child Labor: A Normative Perspective, World Bank Economic Review, 17 (2), 2003.
- Lapin, Lisa (May 21, 2018). "Philosopher Debra Satz named dean of Stanford's School of Humanities and Sciences". Stanford | News. Retrieved January 23, 2019.