Debra J. Saunders became the White House correspondent for the Las Vegas Review-Journal in December 2016. She also writes an analysis column for the Review-Journal which is syndicated by Creators Syndicate and is carried by newspapers through the country.
Early life and eduction
Saunders graduated in 1980 from the University of Massachusetts at Boston. She majored in Greek and Latin.
In 1992, she became an opinion-page columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, also syndicated by Creators. She later augmented her thrice-weekly columns with the Token Conservative blog , before leaving the paper in 2016.
Between 1987 and 1992, Saunders was a columnist and editorial writer for the Los Angeles Daily News. She has previously worked for conservative advocacy groups and for a Republican leader of the California State Assembly.
In addition to her columns, Ms. Saunders has written for The Wall Street Journal, National Review, and Reader's Digest. She is the author of one book, The World According to Gore (ISBN 1-893554-14-7).
Although viewed by some as a conservative Republican, Saunders consistently opposed the War on Drugs. She campaigned in her column for President Bush to issue more pardons and sentence commutations. She also supports same-sex marriage.
Saunders puts herself in the "agnostic/skeptic global-warming camp,".
Saunders is on record as supporting the death penalty, and has opposed clemency for Stanley Tookie Williams and Kevin Cooper (writing a denunciation of Judge William Fletcher and 11 judges on the ninth circuit when they accused the prosecution, as well as Judge Marilyn Huff, of deliberately forging evidence and sabotaging Cooper's hearing in 2005). In 2015 she appeared on Death Row Stories explaining why she felt Cooper was guilty.
- 500,000 Californians Lose Health Policies"
- Pardon more than the turkey Debra Saunders, Nov. 23, 2006
- Your Tax dollars on Drugs Debra Saunders, Feb. 12, 2006
- The homophobic party? Debra Saunders, Nov. 10, 2004
- City Hall of Love Debra Saunders, May 16, 2008
- Josh Wolf - Blogger - Has No Press Pass Debra Saunders, Feb. 27, 2007
- Polar bear pandering Debra Saunders, Nov. 4, 2007
- Foreskin Man
- Circumcision ballot measure and anti-Semitism Debra Saunders, June 2, 2011