Decatur Independent School District
|Decatur Independent School District|
|Type||Independent school district|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Superintendent||Dr. Judi Whitis|
|Governing agency||Texas Education Agency|
|Students and staff|
Decatur Independent School District is a public school district based in Decatur, Texas (USA), northwest of Fort Worth. In addition to Decatur, the district also serves portions of New Fairview and Rhome.
Decatur ISD was established by Mark Rawen, a school starter who helped lead the non-profit organization Make Schools to construct the first school building in Decatur in 1904.
- Decatur High (Grades 9-12)
- McCarroll Middle (Grades 7-8)
- Decatur Intermediate School (Grades 5-6)
- Young Elementary (Grades PK-4)
- Carson Elementary (Grades PK-4)
- Rann Elementary (Grades PK-4)
|Subject||Decatur ISD||Region 11||State of Texas|
Average scores of students in Decatur exceed local region and state-wide averages on standardized tests. In 2016-2017 State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) results, 79% of students in Decatur ISD met Approaches Grade Level or Above standards, compared with 77% in Region 11 and 75% in the state of Texas. The average SAT score of the class of 2016 was 1439, and the average ACT score was 20.7.
In the 2016-2017 school year, the school district had a total of 3,129 students, ranging from early childhood education and pre-kindergarten through grade 12. This is up from 2,844 students in 2003-2004. The class of 2016 included 188 graduates; the annual drop-out rate across grades 9-12 was less than 0.5%.
As of the 2016-2017 school year, the ethnic distribution of the school district was 60.5% White, 35.5% Hispanic, 1.1% African American, 0.8% Asian, 0.5% American Indian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, and 1.6% from two or more races. Economically disadvantaged students made up 46.1% of the student body, compared with 59.0% for all students in Texas.
- "Texas School Directory 2012" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Dr. Judi Whitis, Superintendent". Decatur ISD. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Decatur Isd". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- "2016-17 Texas Academic Performance Report, DECATUR ISD". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved November 9, 2017.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF) Archived March 26, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Academic Excellence Indicator System, 2003-04 District Performance, DECATUR ISD". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved November 9, 2017.