Decay (Sevendust song)
|Single by Sevendust|
|from the album Black Out the Sun|
|Released||January 29, 2013|
|Recorded||September, 2012–October, 2012|
|Label||7 Bros Records/ADA|
|Sevendust singles chronology|
Recording and production
The song was recorded at Architekt Music studios in Butler, New Jersey with engineer Mike Ferretti. "We were starting to get burnt and we didn't want to push it," Rose said during interview with Billboard magazine. "So we had this riff, and we said, 'Let's jam it and see if anything comes of it.' And before you know it, it became a song that ends up on the record, and everybody listens to it and they end up picking that as the single, which was pretty cool."
The song was originally intended as a bonus track but the finished product was massive and became the first single.
The video features the band setting up shop in a rather spooky house, while the look of old film stock gives it that extra ounce of dark atmosphere. Each of the band members are seen entering the house and setting up shop in different rooms, with a rather dooming fate befalling of them.
Brent Wells from The News & Advance stated "the first single 'Decay' is a hard-hitting number that ponders the state of the world. Primed with a propulsive groove and layers of chunky guitars, Witherspoon passionately roars, 'Decay/Cut the tongue you speak with to say/Don’t believe, don’t believe it/The wrong way on a path to somewhere/Don’t feed the selfish mouth of man.' "
Decay is featured Examiner's top 10 hard rock/metal songs of 2013.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2013)|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||42|
- Lajon Witherspoon - lead vocals
- Clint Lowery - lead guitars, backing vocals
- John Connolly - rhythm guitars
- Vinnie Hornsby - bass guitar
- Morgan Rose - drums, backing vocals
- Mike Ferretti - engineer
- Gregory Heaney. "Black Out the Sun - Sevendust | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic.
- "Sevendust announces ‘Decay’ and we want more international metal acts in SA!". Headbang Today. 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "Sevendust, 'Decay': Exclusive Song Premiere". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "Community news from Biloxi and Gulfport, MS". Sun Herald. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "Sevendust To Film 'Decay' Video This Month". Blabbermouth.net. 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "Exclusive: Alt-Metal Veterans Sevendust Confront Mortality in Sinister "Decay" Video - Fuse Premiere - Fuse". Fuse.tv. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "Sevendust Unveil Haunting ‘Decay’ Video". Loudwire.com. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- Wells, Brent (February 7, 2013). "Decay - Sevendust". The News & Advance. Retrieved February 7, 2013.