December's Children (And Everybody's)
|Studio album by|
|Released||4 December 1965(US)|
|Producer||Andrew Loog Oldham|
|The Rolling Stones US album chronology|
|Singles from December's Children |
December's Children (And Everybody's) is the fifth American studio album by the Rolling Stones, released in December 1965. Although it largely draws on songs issued earlier in the year in the United Kingdom, the album includes three previously unreleased tunes. It is the last of the group's early albums to feature songs written by others than Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, who wrote half of the songs. Most of the album tracks were recorded in September 1965 in Los Angeles during the sessions to finish the UK edition of Out of Our Heads and to record their new single, "Get Off of My Cloud".
December's Children (And Everybody's) reached number four in the US, where it was certified "gold". Bassist Bill Wyman quotes Jagger in 1968 calling the record "[not] an album, it's just a collection of songs." Accordingly, it is only briefly detailed in Wyman's otherwise exhaustive book Rolling with the Stones.
The title of the album came from the band's manager, Andrew Loog Oldham (who facetiously credits it to "Lou Folk-Rock Adler" in his liner notes on the back cover). According to Jagger, it was Oldham's idea of hip, Beat poetry. The front cover photo of the band, by Gered Mankowitz, had previously been used for the UK edition of Out of Our Heads.
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|1.||"She Said Yeah"||Sonny Bono, Roddy Jackson||Out of Our Heads (UK)||1:30|
|2.||"Talkin' About You"||Chuck Berry||Out of Our Heads (UK)||2:30|
|3.||"You Better Move On"||Arthur Alexander||The Rolling Stones EP (UK)||2:37|
|4.||"Look What You've Done"||McKinley Morganfield a.k.a. Muddy Waters||December's Children||2:33|
|5.||"The Singer Not the Song"||Jagger/Richards||B-side of "Get Off of My Cloud" (UK)||2:22|
|6.||"Route 66"||Bobby Troup||Got Live If You Want It! (UK live EP)||2:29|
|7.||"Get Off of My Cloud"||Jagger/Richards||single (US)||2:52|
|8.||"I'm Free"||Jagger/Richards||Out of Our Heads (UK)||2:17|
|9.||"As Tears Go By"||Jagger/Richards, Andrew Loog Oldham||December's Children||2:45|
|10.||"Gotta Get Away"||Jagger/Richards||Out of Our Heads (UK)||2:03|
|11.||"Blue Turns to Grey"||Jagger/Richards||December's Children||2:27|
|12.||"I'm Moving On"||Hank Snow||Got Live If You Want It! (UK live EP)||2:12|
Most of the songs were recorded 5–6 September 1965 at the RCA Records studio in Hollywood, California, except:
- "You Better Move On" – 8 August 1963, Decca Studios, London
- "Look What You've Done" – 11 June 1964, Chess Records studio, Chicago
- "Route 66" and "I'm Moving On" – 5–7 March 1965, live performances, England
- "As Tears Go By" – 26 October 1965, IBC Studios, London
The Rolling Stones
- Mick Jagger – lead vocals (all tracks), backing vocals (1, 2, 7, 8, 10, 11), tambourine (10)
- Keith Richards – electric guitar (all but 9), backing vocals (1, 2, 5-8, 10-12), acoustic guitar (5, 9)
- Brian Jones – electric guitar (1, 2, 5-8, 11), harmonica (4, 12), acoustic guitar (3), organ (8), electric piano (7), backing vocals (3)
- Bill Wyman – bass guitar (all but 9), backing vocals (3)
- Charlie Watts – drums (all but 9)
|1965||"Get Off of My Cloud"||Billboard Hot 100||1|
|1966||"As Tears Go By"||Billboard Hot 100||6|
- "Gold & Platinum - RIAA". riaa.com.
- Wenner, Jann S. "Archives | The Rolling Stone Interview: Jagger Remembers". Jann S. Wenner. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- Allmusic review
- "The Rolling Stones: Album Guide - Rolling Stone Music". archive.org. 12 April 2011. Archived from the original on 12 April 2011.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)