2010 Copenhagen terror plot
|2010 Copenhagen terror plot|
|Date||29 December 2010|
In December the most serious terror operation ever uncovered in Denmark before the 2015 Copenhagen shootings was thwarted by a successful cooperation between security services in Denmark and Sweden. Police, accompanied by bomb experts, conducted several raids and detained five men, who are described as militant islamists. Automatic weapons, together with ammunition and silencers, were seized by the police. Plastic strips to use as handcuffs were also found.
The terrorists alledegly plotted to conduct a "Mumbai-style" attack on Jyllands-Posten to revenge the 2005 publishing of the cartoons portraying Muhammad as a terrorist. Detailed information has been withheld due to the ongoing nature of the investigation.
The five suspects, between 26 and 44 years old, were of Tunisian, Lebanese and Iraqi origins. Four of them are Swedish citizens, the fifth was an Iraqi seeking asylum in Denmark.
- Munir Awad, 29, Lebanese-born Swedish national
- Omar Abdalla Aboelazm, 30, Swedish-Egyptian Origin
- Mounir Dhari, 44, Tunisian national
- Sahbi Zalouti, 37, Tunisian origin, Swedish national was arrested in Järfälla, Sweden.
- NN, 26, Iraqi - arrested in Greve, later released though suspicions remained.
Munir Awad was previously arrested in Pakistan in 2009 on suspicions of terrorism, together with Mehdi Ghezali, a former Guantanamo-detainee. Notably, Munir Awad is the son-in-law of Helena Benaouda, head of the Muslim Council of Sweden. This led some Swedish newspaper editors to question Benaouda's role as head of one of the country's largest Muslim organization. The suspects' various ties to the Stockholm Grand Mosque also stirred up some media attention.
Sahbi Zalouti has also been previously arrested in Pakistan in 2009 on suspicions of terrorism, roughly at the same time as Munir Awad though not together.
As suspects they had been under surveillance for an extended period of time and the arrests were the result of a long investigation. The group travelled to Copenhagen 27 December 2010, Zalouti changed his mind the way to Denmark and returned to Järfälla. Police arrested the group 28 December 2010 in Copenhagen and Zalouti was arrested on the same day in Sweden.
The men are charged with attempted terrorism and unlawful possession of weapons (a machine gun with silencer, a pistol and more than 100 cartridges). 4 June 2012 the four named above were convicted and sentenced to 12 years in prison.
- Sweden – Abd al Haqq Kielan, the imam at the Sabirin Mosque in Eskilstuna said in an interview that "These people do things that are explicitly forbidden in Islam. They make our religion to appear cruel and brutal." The imam also said that "the prophet is very clear on this: A muslim must not be unloyal to the country one lives in, much less the country that received you, given you a visa, residence permit and protection when one most need it."
- Glostrup Terrorists Case
- Vollsmose terrorists
- Mohamad Al-Khaled Samha
- German Terror Plot 9/07
- 2010 Stockholm bombings
- 2010 Norway terror plot
- "Swedes arrested over 'Muhammad cartoon plot'". The Local. 29 December 2010. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- Wienberg, Christian (29 December 2010). "Police Arrest `Militant Islamists' Planning Attack in Denmark". Bloomberg. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- Walker, Peter (29 December 2010). "Denmark and Sweden arrest five over suspected 'Mumbai-style' terror plot". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- Sundell, Camilla; Munck, Anders; Levin, David (30 December 2010). "Misstänks för terrorbrott – igen". Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- Delaryd, Charlotte; Chaaban, Sebastian (30 December 2010). "Munir Awad bodde med dömda terrorister". Svenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- Nielsen, Jasmina (30 December 2010). "Four Danish terror plot suspects remanded in custody". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- Cantwell, Oisín (14 October 2009). "Min svärson torterades". Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- Sluta blunda, editorial in Expressen 31 December 2010
- Krönika: Svärmodern som inget såg, Lars Kriss in Södermanlads Nyheter, January 4, 2011
- Hon har gjort sig oanträffbar
- Delade lägenhet med terroristdömda
- "Five arrested for planning imminent attack". The Copenhagen Post. 29 December 2010. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- "(se) Svenska terrorister döms till långa fängelsestraff". Expo.se. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- Fraende, Mette (30 December 2010). "Three charged over plot to attack Danish newspaper". Reuters. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- Chaaban, Sebastian (30 December 2010). "Häktningsförhandling i Köpenhamn". Svenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- da:Terrorsagen mod Jyllands-Posten i december 2010
- "Det är perverst att de kallar sig muslimer". Svenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). 1 January 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2011.