Decima (game engine)
|Initial release||November 2013|
Decima is a proprietary game engine developed by Guerrilla Games, released on November 15, 2013. It houses tools and features for creating artificial intelligence, physics, logics and worlds within development, as well as compatibility with 4K and HDR. It is best known for its use in Killzone Shadow Fall, Until Dawn, RIGS: Mechanized Combat League and Horizon Zero Dawn, as well as the upcoming game Death Stranding.
In November 2013, following the release of Killzone Shadow Fall, the game was revealed to be running an unnamed, in-house engine developed by Guerrilla Games. In June 2015, Guerrilla announced that the video game Horizon Zero Dawn uses the engine from Killzone Shadow Fall for development. In August 2015, Until Dawn was announced to be using the engine, being modified with Havok physics. On December, Until Dawn's spin-off for the PlayStation VR, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, again used the Decima engine and Havok physics. In June 2016, video game designer Hideo Kojima announced preparation for the development of Kojima Productions' Death Stranding by inspecting two game engine candidates, of which the latter had been used to create the first teaser that was unveiled at Sony's E3 2016 conference.
After receiving the Industry Icon award at The Game Awards 2016, Kojima premiered a trailer for Death Stranding starring Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen, with a logo entitled "Decima" at the end, to the speculation of critics. On December 3, during PlayStation Experience, Kojima had announced that he had partnered with Guerrilla Games to use the engine for development, officially titled Decima, and had been given the source code with no contractual obligation. According to executive producer Angie Smets, they had simply called it "the engine" until Hideo Kojima said he wanted to work with it and had to spontaneously come up with a name. They took the name from the island that once symbolized the strong Dutch-Japanese trade relations.
Features and naming
According to Guerrilla Games director Hermen Hulst at PlayStation Experience in December 3, 2016, Decima has artificial intelligence (AI), physics and logics tools and features as well as the resources for creating entire worlds. It will be compatible with 4K resolution and HDR imaging at release. The engine was named Decima after an island on the Japanese coast where a Dutch trading post was located in the 17th century. For a long time, the Netherlands was the only foreign country allowed to trade with Japan.
Games using Decima
|Killzone Shadow Fall||2013||PlayStation 4||Guerrilla Games|
|Until Dawn||2015||Supermassive Games|
|Until Dawn: Rush of Blood||2016|
|RIGS: Mechanized Combat League||Guerrilla Cambridge|
|Horizon Zero Dawn||2017||Guerrilla Games|
|Death Stranding||TBA||Kojima Productions|
- Renardson, Adam (February 23, 2017). "The Hideo Kojima Death Stranding interview: Strands, Decima and Guerrilla Games". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Leadbetter, Richard (November 24, 2013). "The technology of Killzone Shadow Fall". Eurogamer. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- VanDervoot, Oliver (June 19, 2015). "Horizon: Zero Dawn Is 1080p/30fps And Uses Modified KIllzone: Shadowfall Engine". GamingBolt. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Imtiaz, Khurram (August 24, 2015). "PS4 Exclusive Until Dawn Shows The Power Of Killzone: Shadow Fall Engine In These Direct-Feed Screenshots". GearNuke. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Nunneley, Stephany (August 12, 2014). "Until Dawn has been "refocused, rewritten, rebuilt" for PS4 and DualShock 4". VG247. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Shea, Brian (December 11, 2015). "Supermassive Talks The Thrills Of Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood". Game Informer. Retrieved December 4, 2016 – via GameStop.
- Shea, Brian (11 December 2015). "Supermassive Talks The Thrills Of Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood". GameInformer. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- McWhertor, Michael (June 15, 2016). "Death Stranding's teaser probably won't be playable, Hideo Kojima says". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Reiner, Andrew (June 15, 2016). "An Interview With Hideo Kojima". Game Informer. GameSpot. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Frank, Allegra (December 2, 2016). "Is Decima the name of Death Stranding's engine?". Polygon. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via Vox Media.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (December 1, 2016). "Watch a creepy new Death Stranding trailer featuring Mads Mikkelsen and Guillermo del Toro". The Verge. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via Vox Media.
- "Death Stranding's "Decima" Engine Revealed by Hideo Kojima; it's Guerrilla Games' Engine". DualShockers. December 3, 2016. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Rad, Chloi (December 3, 2016). "PSX 201: Death Stranding WIll Run on Guerrilla Games' Decima Engine". IGN. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via Ziff Davis.
- Guerilla Games is niet bang de lat hoog te leggen (Dutch), Algemeen Dagblad
- Rad, Chloi (December 3, 2016). "PSX 2016: Death Stranding Will Run on Guerrilla Games' Decima Engine". IGN. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Pereira, Chris (December 3, 2016). "Kojima Partnering With Killzone, Horizon Dev Guerrilla for Death Stranding". GameSpot. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via CBS Interactive.
- van Miltenburg, Olaf (December 5, 2016). "Kojima start studio at Guerrilla Games in Amsterdam". Tweakers.
- "Death Stranding - PlayStation Experience 2016: Panel Discussion". December 3, 2016.