McGuire with the Memphis Redbirds in 2016
June 23, 1989 |
Greensboro, North Carolina
After graduating from Deep Run High School outside Richmond, Virginia, McGuire played college baseball at Georgia Tech. While at Georgia Tech, McGuire was named to the 2009 All-America First Team by Collegiate Baseball, the 2009 All-America Second Team by Baseball America, the 2008 Freshman All-America First Team by Collegiate Baseball, and was the 2009 ACC Pitcher of the Year.
Toronto Blue Jays
McGuire was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the first round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He made his professional debut that season with the Dunedin Blue Jays. He made his Double-A debut for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats on July 27, 2011. He pitched 7 innings, giving up 3 runs on 9 hits, with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts in a 17–3 win over the New Britain Rock Cats. McGuire was promoted from Advanced-A Dunedin, after posting a 7–4 record with 102 strikeouts and a 2.75 ERA over 19 appearances and 104.2 innings pitched.
On November 20, 2013, the Blue Jays added McGuire to their 40-man roster. On March 10, 2014, he was optioned to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. McGuire was designated for assignment on July 17, 2014, to make room for Brad Mills.
On July 24, 2014, McGuire was traded to the Oakland Athletics for cash considerations. Up to the trade, he had posted a 5.56 ERA in his first trip to Triple-A. He was optioned to the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats. When the Athletics acquired Adam Dunn on August 31, McGuire was designated for assignment and assigned outright to Sacramento. McGuire was released from the Athletics organization before the start of the 2015 season.
Los Angeles Dodgers
McGuire was subsequently signed to a minor league contract by the Los Angeles Dodgers and was assigned to the AA Tulsa Drillers to start the season. He pitched in 30 games (with 18 starts) between Tulsa and the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers and was 9–6 with a 3.69 ERA.
St. Louis Cardinals
- McGuire rested, focused and ready to lead Tech
- Deck McGuire Named ACC Pitcher of the Year; Five Yellow Jackets Tabbed All-ACC
- Blue Jays draft pitcher Deck McGuire
- Jays sign top pick Deck McGuire
- Jays’ McGuire leaving the hype behind
- Wild, Danny (July 27, 2011). "Jays' McGuire wins in Double-A debut | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Web.minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "Blue Jays protect Deck McGuire, Kenny Wilson from Rule 5 Draft | bluejays.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Jays claim Brad Mills off waivers from Oakland". Associated Press. ESPN.com. July 17, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Blue Jays trade McGuire to Athletics for cash
- Adams, Steve (July 25, 2014). "Athletics Acquire Deck McGuire". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "A's Trade Triple-A RHP Matt Buschmann to Tampa Bay to Make Way for Possible Addition of Barry Zito to Nashville Rotation". YardBarker.com. April 3, 2015. Archived from the original on April 7, 2015. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- Eddy, Matt (April 6, 2015). "Minor League Transactions: March 27-April 2". Baseball America. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- "Drillers Opening Roster Taking Shape". Drillers News. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Deck McGuire minor league & fall league statistics & history". Baseball Reference. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- Eddy, Matt (November 26, 2015). "Minor League Transactions: Nov. 14-20". baseballamerica.com. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- Eddy, Matt (February 20, 2017). "MINOR LEAGUE TRANSACTIONS: FEB. 11-16". Baseball America. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)