Rudd playing for Preston North End in 2013
|Full name||Declan Thomas Rudd|
|Date of birth||16 January 1991|
|Place of birth||Diss, England|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Charlton Athletic (on loan from Norwich City)|
|2013||→ Preston North End (loan)||14||(0)|
|2013–2014||→ Preston North End (loan)||46||(0)|
|2016–||→ Charlton Athletic (loan)||6||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:13, 13 September 2016 (UTC).
"I think my size helped me," said Rudd speaking to Club's official matchday programme, 'On The Ball', back in October 2007. "I was quite tall for my age and I've always enjoyed playing in goal in the past. But the coaches at my old club always felt I was better outfield. It was only at Norwich when they said I wouldn't make it as a striker that I became a goalkeeper."
As a youth player, Rudd was heavily involved with Norwich's run in the FA Youth Cup in 2008–09. In the fifth round, he saved three penalties against Everton, having also scored a penalty in an earlier round. Norwich manager Bryan Gunn said:
It's all in Declan's hands, literally, but then again it's in his feet as well. He showed the confidence he's got as a young goalkeeper. He stood up and took the winning penalty kick against Stoke – last night he just saved the three. I'm sure he'll be in there with a big smile on his face today and rightly so. He's got an opportunity to be a top quality goalkeeper. He's just got to be focused on his job ahead and not get rushed into things. We have to try and develop him in the right way. When he comes into the first team training he doesn't look out of place. He's got a great opportunity of being a top class goalkeeper.
He made his professional debut on 26 September 2009, in a match away to Gillingham, as a substitute following the sending off of Fraser Forster. His full debut came three days later at Carrow Road in a 4–0 win against Leyton Orient.
Rudd made his first appearance in the Premier League on 27 August 2011, after John Ruddy was sent off in a 3–1 defeat to Chelsea. His first taste of Premier League football was to concede a penalty from Frank Lampard. Due to Ruddy's subsequent suspension, Rudd made his full Premier League debut on 11 September at home to West Bromwich Albion, saving a penalty from Peter Odemwingie in a 0–1 defeat.
After performing admirably in Norwich's 4–1 FA Cup victory over Burnley in January 2012, Rudd was unfortunately ruled out for a few months with a thigh injury sustained in training.
Following criticism for inconsistent performances, first-choice goalkeeper John Ruddy was dropped and Rudd was promoted to the starting line-up for Norwich's 2-0 defeat at Watford on 5 December 2015, his first league appearance for Norwich in over four years. Rudd's performances during December led to him being shortlisted for the Player of the Month award.
- As of 2 February 2016.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Total|
|Preston North End (loan)||2012–13||14||0||0||0||0||0||14||0|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 363. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Player profile". Norwich City F.C. Retrieved 11 February 2009.
- "Gillingham 1–1 Norwich". BBC Sport. 26 September 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- "Chelsea 3–1 Norwich". BBC Sport. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Norwich 0–1 West Brom". BBC Sport. 11 September 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Declan Rudd signs new contract with Canaries". Norwich City FC. 12 August 2014.
- "Declan Rudd". The Football Association. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "England U-21 call up for Rudd". Norwich City F.C. 24 August 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2011.
- Declan Rudd career statistics at Soccerbase
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Declan Rudd.|