Jump to navigation Jump to search
Decompression has several meanings, some of which are covered by several articles:
- Data decompression, the action of reversing data compression
- Decompression (physics), the release of pressure and the opposition of physical compression
- Decompression (altitude). the reduction of pressure and the related physiological effects due to increase in altitude or other equivalent reduction of ambient pressure below normal atmospheric pressure
- Uncontrolled decompression, catastrophic reduction of pressure in accidents involving pressure vessels such as aircraft
- Decompression (diving), the reduction in pressure and the process of allowing dissolved inert gases to be eliminated from the tissues during ascent from a dive. Also relating to decompression (diving):
- Decompression algorithm, or decompression model. One of several algorithms or theoretical models used to compute decompression tables, or the decompression status of a diver in real-time using a dive computer, and for dive planning. These include:
- Decompression buoy, a buoy that marks a diver's position when doing decompression stops
- Decompression chamber, a pressurizable chamber used to prevent and/or treat decompression sickness
- Decompression computer, also called a Dive computer or decompression meter, a device used by a scuba diver to measure the time and depth of a dive and compute a safe ascent profile.
- Decompression practice, Techniques and procedures for decompression used by underwater divers
- Decompression tables, Printed tabulated decompression schedules used to plan diving decompression
- Decompression trapeze, a horizontal bar or bars suspended at the depth of intended decompression stops by buoys
- Decompression sickness, a condition arising from the formation and growth of bubbles of gas within the tissues of the body during and after depressurization
- Decompression theory, The study and modelling of physiological effects of decompression, including the development and testing of decompression algorithms
- History of decompression research and development, History of R&D related to diving and altitude decompression
- Ratio decompression, A method for estimating a decompression schedule for a given set of breathing gases, based on time at depth.
- Decompression (comics), in comic book storytelling, is the stylistic choice to tell a story mainly by visuals, with few words.
- Decompression (surgery), a procedure used to reduce pressure on a compressed structure, such as spinal decompression
- Herniated disc decompression, a form of treatment for Spinal disc herniation, employed by chiropractors
- "Decompression" (The Outer Limits), an episode of the American television fiction series The Outer Limits