Dedé (footballer born 1978)
|Full name||Leonardo de Deus Santos|
|Date of birth||18 April 1978|
|Place of birth||Belo Horizonte, Brazil|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2010–2011||Borussia Dortmund II||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais as the second of six brothers, Dedé was introduced to football at an early age, playing three-a-side matches with his brothers in his parents' apartment. "Our living room was the biggest room and also our playing field, with the doors to the kitchen and the bedroom as our goals. Well, you can imagine, we always broke things in the living room." On club level he first played for local Clube Atlético Mineiro, appearing in 30 Série A games in the 1997 season as the team finished in fourth position (two goals).
Dedé signed for Germany's Borussia Dortmund for the 1998–99 campaign, aged only 20. He made his Bundesliga debut on 14 August 1998, being stretchered off in the early minutes of an eventual 1–2 away loss against VfB Stuttgart, but finished his first year with 29 appearances as the Black Yellow finished fourth.
In the following season, Dedé was joined at Borussia by compatriot Evanílson, and the two proceeded to form an efficient wingback partnership in the following four years, being essential as the club won the 2002 league and reached that year's UEFA Cup final (with the player appearing in a total of 45 official games during the campaign, scoring once); he never appeared in less than 30 games from 2004 to 2008.
Afterwards, as his countryman before him, Dedé also begun suffering with injury problems, also facing stiff left-back competition from younger Marcel Schmelzer. He only appeared in 33 league matches in his last three seasons combined, including just four in 2010–11 for his second national championship.
- Atlético Mineiro
- Borussia Dortmund
- Bundesliga: 2001–02, 2010–11
- UEFA Cup: Runner-up 2001–02
- DFB-Pokal: Runner-up 2007–08
- DFB-Ligapokal: Runner-up 2003
- "Dede: Dortmund against Schalke – that’s odium but with respect". Schwatz Gelb. 26 April 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Dedê Eskişehirspor'da" [Dedê to Eskişehirspor] (in Turkish). Eskişehirspor. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Ich hätte gerne für Deutschland gespielt" [I would have liked to play for Germany] (in German). Der Spiegel. 13 February 2004. Retrieved 9 December 2011.