Deep (Silent Running album)
|Studio album by Silent Running|
|Released||2 August 1989|
|Genre||New wave, rock|
|Producer||Silent Running, Frankie LaRocka, Peter Denenberg, John Eden|
|Silent Running chronology|
Deep is the third and final studio album from Belfast New Wave/rock band Silent Running, released in 1989.
Despite the commercial failure of the band's 1987 album Walk on Fire and its two singles, the band began to record their second album for Atlantic Records.
Following the release of the Deep album, the band toured extensively after the album's release but split up shortly thereafter, citing a lack of record company support. The band would later reunite for one final performance at Belfast's Empire Music Hall to a capacity crowd in 1998. Reportedly, demos for the unreleased fourth album are widely available although unofficially only.
Like the previous two albums, Deep was a commercial failure.
The album's title is taken from the opening track "Deep in the Heart of Nowhere".
Both "Deep in the Heart of Nowhere" and "Local Hero" were released as promotional singles on CD in America only.
The first four tracks of the album were produced by the band themselves with Frankie LaRocka and Peter Denenberg, who both engineered the album. The rest of the tracks were produced by John Eden, whilst LaRocka and Deneberg remixed the tracks produced by Eden. The album was LaRocka's first attempt at production work, where he also played drums on part of the album. Originally, LaRocka had signed the band while working in the A&R department at Atlantic Records.
Drummer Ian Gault departed the band after the initial recording of Deep in 1988 and was therefore replaced by Gary Kirby. Around the same time, Paul Rocks joined the band on keyboards, and the band finished recording the Deep album in New York.
Keyboardist Alex White had left the group back in 1985 to work with Joan Armatrading, resulting in the band relying on session musicians such as Adrian Lee (Mike + The Mechanics) and Clive Gates (New Musik) to record keyboards on the album.
All tracks are original, where the music was written by all three main members of the band; vocalist Peter Gamble, bassist Richard Collett and guitarist Tony Scott, discounting new members Kirby and Rocks, with the lyrics being written solely by vocalist Peter Gamble. Some tracks featured a writing credit to Gault, as they were completed before he left the group.
The album was released via Atlantic Records in the America, Germany and Spain. Like the previous album for Atlantic Records, it was not given a UK release unlike the band's debut album.
To date, the album remains available on now out-of-print second-hand vinyl, cassette and CD.
|1.||"Deep in the Heart of Nowhere"||Peter Gamble, Richard Collett, Tony Scott||4:13|
|2.||"Everything Your Heart Desires"||Gamble, Collett, Scott||4:06|
|3.||"Angel of Mercy"||Gamble, Collett, Scott||4:17|
|4.||"Strength of our Love"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Ian Gault||4:35|
|5.||"When Will I Learn?"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Gault||4:28|
|6.||"Flame of Love"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Gault||4:54|
|7.||"Sunshine in the Rain"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Gault||4:33|
|8.||"Local Hero"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Gault||4:48|
|9.||"Deliverance"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Gault||4:37|
|10.||"Something So Wrong"||Gamble, Collett, Scott, Gault||4:44|
GloryDazeMusic wrote "Earlier fans of the band would've turned away after their debut, as both 'Walk On Fire' and 'Deep' are quite some way removed from their original direction moulded in the style of Simple Minds and U2. On the other hand, AORsters and melodic rockers would've welcomed them with open arms."
- Peter Gamble - Vocals, Writer, Lyrics, Producer
- Tony Scott - Guitar, Writer, Producer
- Richard Collett - Bass, Writer, Producer
- Ian Gault - Drums, Drum Programming, Writer
- Gary Kirby - Drums
- Paul Rocks - Keyboards
- John Eden - Producer (tracks 5-10)
- Frankie LaRocka - Producer, Engineer, Remixer, Drums
- Peter Denenberg - Producer, Engineer, Remixer
- Tom Leinbach - Assistant Engineer (tracks 1-4)
- Clive Gates- Keyboards
- Adrian Lee - Keyboards
- Joe Bonadio - Percussion
- Steve Sidelnyk - Percussion
- Adrian Baker - Background Vocals
- Amy Fradon - Background Vocals
- Carole Godden - Background Vocals
- Leslie Ritter - Background Vocals
- "Silent Running - Deep In The Heart Of Nowhere (CDsingle) $8.48". Musicstack.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Silent Running - Deep (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Deep - Silent Running : Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Silent Running Deep Post Punk Rock LP - Vinyl Records Collector's Information & Price Guide". Vinylrecords.ch. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Silent Running - Deep at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "silent running deep: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Deep - Silent Running : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Articles: Silent Running - 1989 Deep". Glorydaze Music. Archived from the original on 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2012-06-26.