Deep Creek Hot Springs
|Deep Creek Hot Springs|
|Location||San Bernardino County, California, USA|
|Governing body||San Bernardino National Forest,|
United States Forest Service
Deep Creek Hot Springs, DCHS, are natural hot springs located in the northern Mojave Desert section of the San Bernardino National Forest, near Hesperia in San Bernardino County, Southern California.
The springs are in the rain shadowed desert foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains on the Deep Creek fork of the Mojave River. They are in a large bouldered riparian zone, surrounded by a rich habitat ecotone of the xeric shrublands—desert chaparral, montane chaparral and woodlands, and conifer forest plant communities.
Deep Creek Hot Springs, being located next to Deep Creek, provides both hot and cold water locations for clothing optional bathing. The site is managed by the San Bernardino National Forest and is maintained by a volunteer group, the Deep Creek Volunteers. Water from the creek or pools is not advised for consumption. The hot pools contain a rare and sometimes fatal disease called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. Very high fecal coliform counts are found in the hot springs as well.
There are three main hiking routes to reach the Hot Springs.
- Bowen Ranch / Freedom Trail - the shortest route at approximately two miles each way.
- Bradford Ridge Path - 2.6 mile one-way trip from the south.
- Pacific Crest Trail - the PCT goes through Deep Creek Hot Springs and can be reached from the Lake Arrowhead area, 6 miles each way.
The Deep Creek Hot Springs regulations include:
- Closed to the public from sundown to sunrise
- Public nudity is not permitted within 1/4 mile of 'T-6 crossing.' The T-6 crossing is located upstream from the steel bridge near Splinter's Cabin. This is actually 10 miles up stream from Deep Creek Hot Springs.
- No camping is permitted within 1-mile (1.6 km) of Deep Creek.
- No fire, campfires or stoves allowed in the Deep Creek drainage basin.
- No glass containers permitted within 1-mile (1.6 km) of Deep Creek
- Pack out all refuse.
- State designation Wild Trout Stream, the Deep Creek Wild Trout Area
- "San Bernardino National Forest, Deep Creek Hot Springs". Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "SDNHM - Arroyo Toad". San Diego Natural History Museum. Archived from the original on 2001-04-13. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Welcome to Deep Creek Volunteers". www.deepcreekvolunteers.com. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- "USDA - Deep Creek Hot Springs".
- "Directions to Deep Creek Hot Springs - DeepCreekVolunteers.com". www.deepcreekvolunteers.com. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- "The Best Deep Creek Hot Springs Hike". HikingGuy.com. 2019-06-06. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- "Deep Creek Hot Springs to PCT". AllTrails.com. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- Discussion with Ranger - this is actually 10 miles up stream from Deep Creek Hot Springs.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Deep Creek
- San Bernardino National Forest: official Deep Creek Hot Springs website
- Deep Creek Hot Springs.net Forum
- Deep Creek Hot Springs Yahoo Group forum (Yahoo login required)
- Deep Creek Volunteers
- Deep Creek Hot Springs: location photo gallery
- Deep Creek Hot Springs location photos on Instagram