Deep Creek Lake
|Deep Creek Lake|
Boats docked at a Deep Creek Lake dock in May 2008.
|Location||Garrett County, Maryland|
|Primary inflows||Deep Creek, Meadow Mountain Run, Cherry Creek, Green Glade Run|
|Primary outflows||Deep Creek|
|Catchment area||64.7 sq mi (168 km2)|
|Basin countries||United States of America|
|Max. length||11.25 miles (18.11 km)|
|Max. width||1.13 miles (1.82 km)|
|Surface area||3,628 acres (14.68 km2)|
|Max. depth||75 ft (23 m)|
|Shore length1||69 mi (111 km)|
|Surface elevation||2,461 ft (750 m)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Deep Creek Lake is the largest inland body of water in the U.S. state of Maryland. It covers approximately 3,900 acres (16 km2) and has 69 miles (111 km) of shoreline. Like all lakes in Maryland, it is man-made. The lake is home to a wide variety of freshwater fish and aquatic birds. The Wisp ski resort is located nearby.
The lake is a result of the Youghiogheny Hydroelectric Company hydroelectric project on Deep Creek in the 1920s. Deep Creek Dam, located about 8 miles (13 km) north of Oakland, Maryland, consists of an earth and rock wall dam across a tributary of the Youghiogheny River. Construction of the dam began in 1923 and was completed in 1925. The hydroelectric plant became operational at 4:00 p.m. on May 26, 1925. The state of Maryland purchased the lake in 2000 from the Pennsylvania Electric Company, and Deep Creek Lake State Park provides public access to the lake.
- Meyer, Eugene L. (2007-09-14). "High-End Rustic on a Plateau in the Alleghenies". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Maryland's Lakes and Reservoirs: FAQ". www.mgs.md.gov.
- Phillips, John. "Ski & Snowboard America Mid-Atlantic, 2nd". Retrieved 22 December 2010. Cite journal requires
- "Yough Dams". History of the Upper Yough. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "The History of Deep Creek". Power Plant Research Program. Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Maryland Fish Facts". Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Archived from the original on 4 March 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Deep Creek Lake.|
- Maryland Park Service Deep Creek Lake
- Deep Creek Lake Discovery Center
- Deep Creek Lake Chamber of Commerce
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Deep Creek Lake