Deep Down (video game)
|Developer(s)||Capcom Online Games|
Deep Down is a single-player or (up to four player) co-op multiplayer dungeon crawl. Gameplay has been described as similar to both Capcom's own Dragon's Dogma; as well as the Dark Souls series, though with a lesser difficulty. The historical sections of the game take place in a medieval/fantasy setting in proceedurally generated dungeons, with the player equipped with suits of armor, swords, pikes, shields etc. Creatures encountered are from the fantasy trope, including ogres, shapeshifters similar to mimics (D&D), and dragons.
The player perspective for Deep Down begins in New York City in the year 2094. The story focuses on a member of a group known as the "Ravens" who has the ability to recover historical memories by touching ancient objects - this 'Raven' is brought into contact into excavated objects from a mysterious civilization in Bohemia (Czech Republic) dating from the 15th century - they are asked to use their abilities to explore the city and discover its secrets.
At the February 20, 2013 PlayStation Meeting where Sony debuted the PlayStation 4, Capcom's Yoshinori Ono, best known for his work on the Street Fighter series, revealed Deep Down alongside their new "Panta Rhei" game engine, designed specifically for the PlayStation 4. Deep Down was the working title, and Panta Rhei was announced to replace MT Framework as Capcom's game engine of choice. The reveal trailer showed an armored warrior battling a medieval fire-breathing dragon. They chose to make a new brand for freedom to explore next-gen video game console architecture, and so as to avoid limitations from consumer expectations. The game did not have a presence at the E3 2013 video game expo.
During Tokyo Game Show 2013, Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono announced that Deep Down was to be a free-to-play title; the initial expected release date was to be in 2014 after a public beta coincided with the Japanese release of the PS4. In early 2015, Kazunori Sugiura stated in an interview with 4gamer that the vision for the game had expanded since its initial 2013 reveal, to better appeal in the long term to players, and so the development timescale had been extended.
As of June 2017, no public beta has taken place and the game has not been released.
- "deep down | PS4 Games | PlayStation". Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Turi, Tim (20 September 2013). "Deep Down: Five Things We Learned Playing Capcom's Dungeon Crawler". Game Informer. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "PS4 Exclusive Deep Down Gets New Info: Greatswords, Memento Buffs; Online Corpse Looting and More", www.dualshockers.com, 29 Dec 2013
- "Deep Down vs Dark Souls II Screenshot Comparison: Do They Really Look That Similar?", www.dualshockers.com, 12 Jan 2014
- Dring, Christopher (1 March 2013). "Capcom: Resident Evil and Street Fighter would restrict us on PS4". Market for Home Computing and Video Games. Intent Media. Archived from the original on 1 August 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- Tach, Dave (20 February 2013). "Capcom reveals Deep Down, built in engine designed for PS4". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on August 1, 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- Jackson, Mike (18 June 2013). "Deep Down 'nothing to do with Dragon's Dogma', clarifies Capcom". Computer and Video Games. Future Publishing. Archived from the original on 1 August 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- Jackson, Mike (22 September 2013). "PS4 exclusive Deep Down is free-to-play". Computer and Video Games. Archived from the original on 12 December 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "今年，新タイトルを続々投入するカプコンのオンラインゲーム事業戦略とは？ COGのキーパーソンである小野義徳氏と杉浦一徳氏にインタビュー". www.4gamer.net (in Japanese). 19 February 2015. Retrieved 4 May 2015.