Deep Run High School
|Deep Run High School|
|4801 Twin Hickory Road
Glen Allen, Virginia 23059
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Henrico County Public Schools|
8 instructional aides
|Enrollment||Over 1,700 (2015–2016)|
|Color(s)||Black and royal blue|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
AAA Central Region
AAA Colonial District
Deep Run High School is a magnet  high school in Henrico County, Virginia, United States. It is named after one of Henrico County's first schools: Deep Run School. Deep Run School was a two-room schoolhouse that can still be found on the grounds of Short Pump Elementary School. The school had approximately over 1,700 students and over 76 faculty members during the 2015-16 school year.
Deep Run High School was named after one of Henrico County's first schools: Deep Run School. Deep Run School was a two-room schoolhouse that can still be found on the grounds of Short Pump Elementary School. Deep Run High School is a celebration of Henrico County's 300th year of excellence.
In 2002, Deep Run opened its doors solely to freshmen and sophomores as the newest member of Henrico County's public schools. While freshmen entered from neighboring middle schools (Short Pump Middle School and Pocahontas Middle School), incoming sophomores predominantly transferred from John Randolph Tucker High School. Deep Run reached full capacity during its 2004–2005 academic year and graduated its first class on June 16, 2005.
In 2007, Deep Run became overcrowded due to increased buildup of surrounding areas. To alleviate the problem, during the summer of 2008, six trailers were placed on school property for the 2008–2009 school year. They were removed during the summer of 2010, when Glen Allen High School was opened.
Aaron Spence, Deep Run's first principal, resigned during the summer of 2008 to take over as Director of Curriculum and Instruction in Chesterfield County. Former Head Football Coach Lenny Pritchard was named acting principal for the 2008–2009 school year, and was subsequently appointed by the school board in April 2009 to remain principal.
In 2012, Deep Run was selected as the 14th "Top School" in Virginia as ranked by U.S. News & World Report. The same report ranked Deep Run 283rd in the United States. In 2013, Deep Run was selected as the 12th "Top School" in Virginia and the 265th best school in the United States. In 2016, Deep Run was named as the 8th "Top School" in Virginia and the 278th best school in the United States.
- Beta Club
- French National Honor Society
- International Thespian Society
- Latin Honor Society
- Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society)
- National Honor Society
- Quill and Scroll Society
- Spanish National Honor Society
- Tri-M Music National Honor Society
Center for Information Technology
The Center for Information Technology (CIT) is a Henrico County Public Schools specialty center that prepares students for higher education and careers in computer science and information technology. The Center has its own mathematics and computer science faculty. Admission to the Center is based on an extensive application process.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Antone Exum, safety for the Minnesota Vikings
- Deck McGuire, baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds
- R. C. Orlan, baseball pitcher for the Washington Nationals
- Todd Wharton, soccer player who currently plays for Rio Grande Valley FC Toros in the United Soccer League
- "Search Virginia High Schools - US News". usnews.com. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- Deep Run FAQ
- "Henrico County (Virginia) Historical Society - Henrico County's Three Chopt District - Deep Run School". henricohistoricalsociety.org. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Top Virginia High Schools - Best High Schools - US News - US News". US News & World Report. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Deep Run High School CIT website, retrieved March 6, 2012.
- "Minnesota Vikings: Antone Exum Jr.". Vikings.com. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Deck McGuire Bio - Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site - RamblinWreck.com". ramblinwreck.com. Retrieved 8 October 2015.