Deep fried Oreo
|Place of origin||United States|
|Main ingredients||Batter, Oreo, water, vegetable oil, confectioners sugar|
A deep fried Oreo is a dessert or snack consisting of an Oreo which is dipped in batter and deep-fried. It can be served with different toppings or simply with no toppings. Deep fried Oreos are generally made using the Oreo cookies by the Nabisco division of Mondelēz International, but also can be made of other chocolate sandwich cookies.
Deep fried Oreos were first introduced by Charlie Boghosian, also known as "Chicken Charlie" or "The Man Who Fries Everything," a 46-year-old Armenian settled in San Diego, in 2002 at Los Angeles County Fair. "There are many other fried foods at the fair, but I specialize in it. I make it my life," Boghosian says about deep fried foods. Aside from the deep fried Oreo, he has also introduced new types of deep fried food every year in different state fairs.
In 2002, Charlie invented the deep fried Oreo by dipping Oreos in pancake batter, deep-frying it, drizzling it with chocolate syrup and serving it with powdered sugar. Since the debut of the deep fried Oreo, it has now become very common at carnivals and is a "cult favorite."
Before any procedures, the oreo cookies are frozen for 3 hours and the oil is preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After that, the buttermilk pancake mix is stirred with the water in a mixing bowl. The oreo cookies are dipped in the mixture, fully coating the oreos with the batter. The coated oreo cookies are then dropped into hot oil until the cookies turn golden brown. The cookies are removed from the oil and placed on a sheet pan with paper towels for draining the excessive oil. Subsequently, the tops of the fried oreos are dusted with confectioners sugar.
Numerous variations of deep fried Oreos have been derived from the typical recipe since its debut, including bacon deep fried Oreos, deep fried Oreos which are wrapped by a slice of bacon; deep fried Oreo ice cream, in which ice cream covered with egg mixture and crushed Oreo cookies is deep fried; and deep fried Oreo Burgers, a deep fried Oreo put within a burger with other fillings, such as meat.
Furthermore, deep fried Oreo was also introduced on TV shows and viral videos by some celebrities. A popular Taiwanese variety show which is called "Kangsi Coming" also introduced the deep fried Oreo in 2012. In the programme, an American introduced deep fried Oreo. He said it is one of the most popular food in the Taiwanese night market.
In 2013, Kim Kardashian appeared on The Jay Leno Show and she introduced the deep fried Oreo. On the program, Kardashian cooked her deep fried Oreos with Food Network chef Guy Fieri and said of the goodies: "It's like a once-a-year snack."
The deep fried Oreo has become worldwide since its debut in 2002 at Los Angeles County Fair and Texas State Fair. Apart from the original place for tasting --- United States, the deep fried Oreo has been available in different countries all over the world. For instance, United Kingdom in Europe; Hong Kong and Taiwan in East Asia; Singapore, Philippines, and Thailand in Southeast Asia; Canada in North America; Australia in Oceania; and Dubai in Middle East.
As a deep fried fair food, deep fried Oreo has also aroused health controversies. Deep-fried foods are usually high in the calories, total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. Five deep fried Oreos contain 900 calories and have a total of 51 grams of sugar, 950 mg of sodium, and 48 grams of fat. Deep fried foods have been criticized for tying to various health problems. For instance, the saturated fat and trans fat in deep-fried foods increase risks for high cholesterol, heart disease, cancers and obesity.
- "Shatkin, E. (2009, September 02). Chicken Charlie: Southern California's deep-fry king." Retrieved March 13, 2016
- "The Man Who Fries Everything." (2007, October 10). Retrieved March 13, 2016
- "Cortland, E. (2009, July 29). Chicken Charlie's Midas Touch: Turning Deep-Fried Oreos into Gold."
- "Fried Oreos Rule the Fairground | Recipe - ABC News." (n.d.). Retrieved March 13, 2016
- "How To Make Deep Fried Oreos Better - i, Food Blogger." (2015, September 19). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "~Bacon Fried OREOS!" (2015, April 10). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Deep Fried Oreo Ice Cream || MsSayJuan." (2014, August 17). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Biro, L. (2015, August 5). Liz Biro: The deep-fried Oreo burger is real." Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "德州得獎小食 炸Oreo." (2013, December 30). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "炸的巧克力餅乾！夜市創意美味好特別 - ChinaTimes. (2012, May 25)." Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Kim Kardashian is Everywhere! - Hollywood Gossip. (2010, January 06). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Kinoshita Yuka - High Calorie Deep Fried Oreos." (2016, March 10). Retrieved July 13, 2016
- "Sambrook, L. (2015, April 17). This guy will deep fry pretty much anything for you!" Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Cheap Eats 2015 - Time Out Hong Kong." (2015, August 20). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Taiwanease.com • Deep-fried Oreos at the Raohe Street Night Market." (2013, March 27). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "5 Reasons You Should Check Out This Year’s Ramadan Bazaar 2015 at Gelling Serai - Ladyironchef." (2015, July 4). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Wicked Oreos @ Flaming Wings - Foodspotting." (2012). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Bangkok, Thailand - Embassy of the United States." Archived 2016-04-05 at the Wayback Machine (2013). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Seven fantastic foods and where to find them at the CNE | Toronto Star." (2015, August 20). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Ng, W. (2013, August 24). Fried OREO at Curious Squire." Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Crumble - Dubai." (n.d.). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Top 7 Shockingly Unhealthy Food Creations - BuiltLean." (2014, March 17). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Are Deep-Fried Foods Harmful to the Health?" (2015, October 08). Retrieved March 23, 2016
- "Smith, A. F. (2011, December 31). Fast Food and Junk Food: An Encyclopedia of What We Love to Eat." Retrieved March 23, 2016