Early life and education
Born in a middle class South Indian family, Deepak Acharya completed his schooling from BTI and Government Multipurpose School, Balaghat and Government School, Chhindwara Districts in Central India. He majored in Plant Sciences at Government PG College and post-graduate work at Danielson Degree College in Chhindwara. Deepak has obtained a degree of Doctor in Philosophy in Plant Sciences from Dr H S Gour University  (formerly Saugar University) Sagar, Madhya Pradesh. Later he pursued his Post Doctorate in the subject of Ethnobotany in New Delhi.
He began his research career in the year 1997. His major herbal research journey began from a remote valley popularly known as Patalkot in Chhindwara district. After the painstaking research of more than 10 years among Gonds and Bharias of Patalkot, he moved to Ahmedabad- Gujarat for a social entrepreneurial venture in 2007. Deepak works as Director, Research & Development at Abhumka Herbal Pvt Ltd located in Gujarat, India. His company is deeply engrossed in formalizing indigenous herbal knowledge into finished products for human and animal healthcare.
Work and Profession
His work has involved the documentation of indigenous knowledge of Gond and Bharia tribes of the Patalkot Forest in Madhya Pradesh. Currently, he is scouting the knowledge of herbal healers of Dangs in Gujarat and Aravallis in Rajasthan. Interestingly, in the whole process of research, scouting and documentation of indigenous knowledge, his company is determined to safeguard intellectual and financial rights of tribesmen those who share their herbal knowledge.
- Indigenous Herbal Medicines: Tribal Formulations and Traditional Herbal Practices published by Aavishkar Publication- Jaipur, India. (ISBN 9788179102527)
- Ethnomedicinal Plants: Revitalizing of Traditional Knowledge of Herbs published by CRC Press-USA. (ISBN 9781578086962)
- Ethnomedicinal Plants of Gujarat State published by Forest Department, Government of Gujarat. (ISBN 8190311484)
- Adivasiyon ki Aushadhiy Virasat (आदिवासियों की औषधीय विरासत) published by Aavishkar Publishers Distributors, Jaipur, India. (ISBN 9788171327065).
His first book in English entitled Indigenous Herbal Medicines: Tribal Formulations and Traditional Herbal Practices has been appreciated world over. His Hindi book "आदिवासियों की औषधीय विरासत" has also been appreciated very much in India, Gujarat's Chief Minister Narendra Modi released it on January 25, 2013. The book revolves round the age-old herbal healing methods of Indian tribesmen.
Lectures and talks
Apart from wandering in remote forests for herb collection, identification and follow up research, he keeps delivering invited lectures at various prestigious institutes i.e. Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDI- Gandhinagar), Sardar Patel Institute of Public Administration (SPIPA- Ahmedabad), Institute of Management Technology, Nagpur (IMT- Nagpur), SGB University, Amravati.
- Voigt, Kevin (2006-05-12). "Modern Medicine?". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- "Science Hero: Dr Deepak Acharya". The My Hero Project. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- Dr H S Gour University
- Indigenous Herbal Medicines: Tribal Formulations and Traditional Herbal Practices
- "Author Query for 'Acharya'". International Plant Names Index.
- Patalkot- The Hidden World - Deepak Acharya's website
|This article about an Indian botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|