|Location||9 km (6 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Boroondara|
Deepdene is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 9 km east from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Boroondara. At the 2016 Census, Deepdene had a population of 2,035.
Formerly a neighbourhood within the suburb of Balwyn, the Office of Geographic Names officially recognised Deepdene as a bounded locality in April 2010. A proposal to extend the suburb boundaries east to Balwyn Road and north to Belmore Road was voted down by Boroondara Council in April 2014.
Deepdene railway station was on the Outer Circle railway line, which opened on 24 March 1891 and closed to the public on 9 October 1927 due to lack of passengers. The train on this line was known by locals as the "Deepdene Dasher". A documentary called "Melbourne's Forgotten Railway - The Outer Circle" which details the history of the railway line was released in 2014.
The railway line has since been converted into the Outercirle railway anniversary Trail; a walking and cycling path, fitted with informative signs that detail the history of the line. Recently, talks about extending the trail in Camberwell have been underway.
Shops in the period 1959- 1966 included Mrs Gebbie's haberdashery, Lanyon's grocery store (Lanyon obtained a liquor licence in this historically dry area), Kevin Dennis car yard, a classic corner milkbar, a hardware store, a garden landscaping supply business, a commercial bakery.
Deepdene Uniting Cricket Club (known as the "Deeners") and Deepdene Bears Cricket Club are both based in Deepdene. The suburb is also home to the Deepdene Tennis Club.
- "2016 Census QuickStats Deepdene". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- City of Boroondara, Deepdene - our newest suburb, archived from the original on 18 March 2012, retrieved 25 July 2011
- Jo, Davy. "Deepdene will not be extended, after proposal rejected". The Weekly Review Boroondara. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "East: Anniversary Outer Circle Trail - Bicycle Network". www.bicyclenetwork.com.au. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- Our Lady of Good Counsel
- Deepdene Primary School
- Deepdene Uniting Cricket Club
|This article about a place in Melbourne is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|